Oh Goody - Passports anyone?

Old April 6th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Claim Guy

Default Oh Goody - Passports anyone?

U.S. to Require Passports for Canada, Mexico Travel

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. travelers to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and
Bermuda will need passports to return to the United States by 2008 under a
new terrorism prevention policy, American officials said on Tuesday.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, to be phased in by 2008 in three
proposed stages, will also require nationals of those countries and
territories to present passports when entering the United States, the
officials said.

Many North American cross-border travelers to and from the United States and
its North American neighbors now need only drivers' licenses or other
identification.

But from Dec. 31, 2007, passports or their equivalent will be the only
documents accepted under the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention
Act of 2004, the officials said.

Under a proposed timetable that will be formalized later this year after a
public review period, the passport rule will be imposed on air and sea
travel to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central and South America on
Dec. 31, 2005. It will be extended to Canada and Mexico on Dec. 31, 2006.

"We want folks to think about their travel to and from Canada, Mexico, the
Caribbean and Bermuda as equivalent to taking a trip to Europe or Asia,"
said Elaine Dezenski, the Department of Homeland Security's acting assistant
secretary for border and transportation security policy.

The department has been working to increase security at the borders after
the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

Dezenski said people could raise concerns or propose alternative travel
documents during a 60-day review period.

The U.S. government is considering accepting other documents including the
Border Crossing Card now used by citizens of Mexico and the Customs and
Border Protection Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection
(SENTRI), NEXUS and Free and Secure Trade (FAST) program cards, she said.

Sixty million U.S. citizens now hold passports, and the State Department
issued 8.8 million passports in 2004. To meet the need for more passports,
passport agencies will add 500 people to their current staff of 1,100, a
State Department official said.

Old April 6th, 2005, 02:54 AM
miles

Claim Guy wrote:
U.S. to Require Passports for Canada, Mexico Travel

On my recent trip to Canada I was required to show my passport at the
airport when entering Canada as well as returning to the USA. From what
I understand thats been the case for a couple years now.

Old April 6th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Dave Smith

miles wrote:

Claim Guy wrote:
U.S. to Require Passports for Canada, Mexico Travel

On my recent trip to Canada I was required to show my passport at the
airport when entering Canada as well as returning to the USA. From what
I understand thats been the case for a couple years now.

You were required to show it or you had it with you and offered to show it?
Passports are not required for Americans entering Canada, but I am counting
on reciprocity when the US imposes the passport requirement on Canada.

Old April 6th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Frank F. Matthews

miles wrote:

Claim Guy wrote:

U.S. to Require Passports for Canada, Mexico Travel

On my recent trip to Canada I was required to show my passport at the
airport when entering Canada as well as returning to the USA. From what
I understand thats been the case for a couple years now.

It has not. Until this stuff goes into effect you have simply had to
show proof of citizenship and a photo ID. A Drivers License & Birth
Certificate sufficed.

Old April 6th, 2005, 03:43 AM
miles

Dave Smith wrote:

You were required to show it or you had it with you and offered to show it?
Passports are not required for Americans entering Canada, but I am counting
on reciprocity when the US imposes the passport requirement on Canada.

1) When checking in for a Canada bound flight the ticket clerk would not
issue a boarding pass unless I got out my passport. I was told this had
been the policy for over a year.

2) When going through Canada customs at Montreal the customs agent asked
to see my passport. I had to get it out of my luggage.

3) When leaving Montreal the USA customs agent requested me to show my
passport.