Luggage on Eurostar Paris to London?

Old May 28th, 2005, 05:30 AM
poldy

Default Luggage on Eurostar Paris to London?

How much can you take?

I'm thinking second class, leisure fare (lowest possible).

Can you carry the same suitcases which you'd have to check on a plane?

The idea is to go to London AFTER completing my stay in Paris. So I
would have to take my luggage with me, rather than leaving it. Yes of
course it would be simpler to make the trip in the middle of my stay in
Paris (my return flight to the US would be from CDG, most likely).
Old May 28th, 2005, 03:29 PM

Question
What is the luggage allowance on Eurostar?

Answer
Your baggage must be no more than two metres in length.
Although there is no weight limit, you must be able to lift it into the
storage racks provided.

Please note: The baggage allowance on board Eurostar is two pieces of
average suitcase-sized luggage and one piece of hand luggage per
passenger.

From the Eurostar web site.

You can't check baggage at all if that's behind your question

Old May 28th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Patrick Wallace

It's a train, not a plane, so there's no problem for them about weight
restrictions. You can take however much you can carry and get on the
train yourself - if you can lift it on and off security X-ray belts
yourself, and get it up and downstairs to and from the platforms, you
can take it on the train. There is luggage space at the end of each
carriage as well as overhead shelves for smaller items. You might risk
making yourself unpopular with other passengers if you insist on
trying to get huge steamer trunks or kitchen cabinets on to a crowded
train, but if you're just taking a fairly normal size suitcase or two
with some hand luggage, there's unlikely to be any problem.

PJW

Old May 28th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Keith W

"poldy" wrote in message
news
How much can you take?

As much as you can lift into a storage rack. I've seen
people wheel cases on board that were damned nearly
as big as they were, they dont weigh but you have to
be able to lift it onto the train.

I'm thinking second class, leisure fare (lowest possible).

Can you carry the same suitcases which you'd have to check on a plane?

And then some, each pax is allowed 2 suitcases and one piece
of hand baggage.

Keith

Old May 29th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Hatunen

On Sat, 28 May 2005 18:39:46 -0700, poldy wrote:

In article ,
(Patrick Wallace) wrote:

It's a train, not a plane, so there's no problem for them about weight
restrictions. You can take however much you can carry and get on the
train yourself - if you can lift it on and off security X-ray belts
yourself, and get it up and downstairs to and from the platforms, you
can take it on the train. There is luggage space at the end of each
carriage as well as overhead shelves for smaller items. You might risk
making yourself unpopular with other passengers if you insist on
trying to get huge steamer trunks or kitchen cabinets on to a crowded
train, but if you're just taking a fairly normal size suitcase or two
with some hand luggage, there's unlikely to be any problem.

PJW

Are you assigned seats?

Yes. Eurostar seats are assigned.

Or can you for instance sit by the space at the end of the train?
Probably would be easier or quicker to de-board the train if you were
near the luggage when the train stopped?

Just get up before the station and go to the luggage.

For security of mind we use a bicyle-style cable lock for our
luggage when it's put at the end of the car, even though there
are so few stops on Eurostar there's not much problem.

The overhead racks will also take some fair sized luggage.