buying eurostar tickets in Paris

Old September 24th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default buying eurostar tickets in Paris

I've purchased Eurostar tickets ahead of time in the US, but have not had to
on short notice in Paris. What's the scoop? Is it reasonable to purchase
them at the terminal, or is that something to be avoided no matter what?

Thanks-

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old September 24th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Go Fig

In article , Mike
Jacoubowsky wrote:

I've purchased Eurostar tickets ahead of time in the US, but have not had to
on short notice in Paris. What's the scoop? Is it reasonable to purchase
them at the terminal, or is that something to be avoided no matter what?

If you have a date/time certain... I would book/pay online and then
pick up the ticket at the will-call window... I just did that.

http://www.eurostar.com

jay
Fri Sep 23, 2005

Old September 24th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I've purchased Eurostar tickets ahead of time in the US, but have not had
on short notice in Paris. What's the scoop? Is it reasonable to purchase
them at the terminal, or is that something to be avoided no matter what?

If you have a date/time certain... I would book/pay online and then
pick up the ticket at the will-call window... I just did that.

http://www.eurostar.com

jay

Jay: That's what I've always done with SNCF tickets, but I wasn't finding
info on that on the Eurostar site. I'll take another look, must be there
somewhere. OK, found it, booked the tickets (for my mom & sister... seems
like I'm a travel agent sometimes!). Thanks-

Old September 24th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Go Fig

In article , Mike
Jacoubowsky wrote:

I've purchased Eurostar tickets ahead of time in the US, but have not had
on short notice in Paris. What's the scoop? Is it reasonable to purchase
them at the terminal, or is that something to be avoided no matter what?

If you have a date/time certain... I would book/pay online and then
pick up the ticket at the will-call window... I just did that.

http://www.eurostar.com

jay

Jay: That's what I've always done with SNCF tickets, but I wasn't finding
info on that on the Eurostar site. I'll take another look, must be there
somewhere. OK, found it, booked the tickets (for my mom & sister... seems
like I'm a travel agent sometimes!). Thanks-

I think they asked me for the same CC that I made the reservation with
at will-call... if they share your name, I doubt it will be a problem.
You might want to give them a cover letter... maybe even copy your CC
onto the letter.

Your a "good son" for being your mom's TA ;-)

jay
Sat Sep 24, 2005

Old September 24th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Timothy Kroesen

You should look into purchasing one of the discount 'cartes' for rail
travel in France; it could save you some money depending on your travel
plans.

Tim K

Old September 26th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Hatunen

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 01:11:00 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

I've purchased Eurostar tickets ahead of time in the US, but have not had
on short notice in Paris. What's the scoop? Is it reasonable to purchase
them at the terminal, or is that something to be avoided no matter what?

If you have a date/time certain... I would book/pay online and then
pick up the ticket at the will-call window... I just did that.

http://www.eurostar.com

Jay: That's what I've always done with SNCF tickets, but I wasn't finding
info on that on the Eurostar site. I'll take another look, must be there
somewhere. OK, found it, booked the tickets (for my mom & sister... seems
like I'm a travel agent sometimes!). Thanks-

Book ticekts from Paris on the SNCF site.

Old September 26th, 2005, 06:45 PM
David Gee

wrote:

I've purchased Eurostar tickets ahead of time in the US, but have
not had
on short notice in Paris. What's the scoop? Is it reasonable to
purchase
them at the terminal, or is that something to be avoided no matter
what?

If you have a date/time certain... I would book/pay online and then
pick up the ticket at the will-call window... I just did that.

http://www.eurostar.com

Jay: That's what I've always done with SNCF tickets, but I wasn't
finding
info on that on the Eurostar site. I'll take another look, must be
there
somewhere. OK, found it, booked the tickets (for my mom & sister...
seems
like I'm a travel agent sometimes!). Thanks-

Book ticekts from Paris on the SNCF site.

I found that the problem with that approach is that you have to stand in
the same long and winding lineup to pick up your prepaid ticket, as to
buy a reserved seat, or to start from scratch!

A couple of the stations I passed through in France and Italy in August
had split their lineups into "For Travel Today" and "For Future Travel"
queues. That helped somewhat, but they should have had a third wicket
marked "For Travel Within The Next Hour".

At one of the big Paris stations, SNCF had put out a neatly printed sign
at the start of the ticket lineup that showed the *best* time of day to
avoid crowds. A wonderful idea ... but of course only 2 of the 10
wickets were staffed! Everyone else had gone to lunch! Aaarrgggh!

I also discovered that RailEurope, the SNCF agent for North America,
charges FIFTEEN Euros for a THREE Euro reservation. They may think
that's good business; it's not, and it's MY money!

Love the trains -- hate the railway!

Old September 26th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Mxsmanic

Mike Jacoubowsky writes:

I've purchased Eurostar tickets ahead of time in the US, but have not had to
on short notice in Paris. What's the scoop? Is it reasonable to purchase
them at the terminal, or is that something to be avoided no matter what?

You can purchase them right at the terminal in just a few minutes.