Is Houston's Hobby Airport a problem?

Old May 9th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Avien

Default Is Houston's Hobby Airport a problem?

Hi folks,

Will be flying for the first time into the little known Hobby airport in
Houston (LGA-HOU). The rates were much, much cheaper than flying into the
southern international gateway, IAH.

But where is Hobby, with respect to the Greater Houston area?
Are there any services there? (Car rental, shuttles to hotels, etc)

or is this a no-frills, you're-on-your-own type of airport?

Thanks,
-Avien

Old May 9th, 2004, 08:09 PM
James Robinson

Avien wrote:

But where is Hobby, with respect to the Greater Houston area?

It's about 8 miles southeast of the city center, while IAH is about
twice that far to the north of the city.

Are there any services there? (Car rental, shuttles to hotels, etc)

It's a full service airport, about the same size as one serving a
medium-sized city. All the major rental car companies are represented,
and there are about a dozen nearby hotels, ranging from Motel 6 to a
Hilton.

or is this a no-frills, you're-on-your-own type of airport?

Here's a link to the airport's web site, where you can see terminal
maps, and the kinds of services available.

http://hou.houstonairportsystem.org/
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Frank F. Matthews

James Robinson wrote:

Avien wrote:

But where is Hobby, with respect to the Greater Houston area?

It's about 8 miles southeast of the city center, while IAH is about
twice that far to the north of the city.

Are there any services there? (Car rental, shuttles to hotels, etc)

It's a full service airport, about the same size as one serving a
medium-sized city. All the major rental car companies are represented,
and there are about a dozen nearby hotels, ranging from Motel 6 to a
Hilton.

Actually there has been an explosion of small properties in the area.
It's probably at least 2-3 dozen if you include the bunch along I 45.
The larger ones will have a shuttle. The smaller ones expect you to be
driving.

or is this a no-frills, you're-on-your-own type of airport?

I suppose it depends on what you count as frills. The on site food is
fairly basic & there aren't too many shops. It moves a lot of
passengers and most travel facilities are available. Convenience
depends on where in Houston you are going to. Houston is an automobile
city and, unless you are strictly going to a convention, you will
probably need a car.

Old May 9th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Adam Weiss

Avien wrote:
Hi folks,

Will be flying for the first time into the little known Hobby airport in
Houston (LGA-HOU). The rates were much, much cheaper than flying into the
southern international gateway, IAH.

But where is Hobby, with respect to the Greater Houston area?
Are there any services there? (Car rental, shuttles to hotels, etc)

or is this a no-frills, you're-on-your-own type of airport?

Thanks,
-Avien

Hobby has everything you could ask for. Rental cars, hotels, satelite
parking....

It's also much closer to downtown Houston than IAH is. From Hobby you
get on I-45 North and take that straight to downtown. (For Uptown, take
the exit for the South Loop (610) heading West and take that around).

At any rate, you'll find that HOU is much more relaxed and nicer than
LGA - I've done LGA to HOU before myself.

Old May 10th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Skip

"Avien" wrote in message et...
Hi folks,

Will be flying for the first time into the little known Hobby airport in
Houston (LGA-HOU). The rates were much, much cheaper than flying into the
southern international gateway, IAH.

But where is Hobby, with respect to the Greater Houston area?
Are there any services there? (Car rental, shuttles to hotels, etc)

or is this a no-frills, you're-on-your-own type of airport?

Thanks,
-Avien

Avien
Last winter I was visiting a friend in Houston we went to Hobby one
day I was very suprised, easy to get to not crowded, close in, public
transportation available. Of course you do not get the Bush name!
Try some web serches I think you will find everything you need and
often renting a car off airport and having them pick you up at the
airport is much cheaper.
I was also suprised with Houston found it to be a friendly easy going
city food was moderity priced..