Taking 15 month old on Alaska cruise

Old April 17th, 2006, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Taking 15 month old on Alaska cruise

Hello, my wife and I are going on a cruise to Alaska this July. We'll
also have our 15 month old son with us and I had a few general
questions:

1. How's usually the weather in Alaska during July?

2. Besides covering our young one properly, taking care of his food,
taking relevant medication (tylenol etc.) with us, is there anything
else we need to be careful/prepared about with respect to his well
being on the cruise as well as off the cruise (during excursions)?

3. I know ships have a physician 24/7 but do they (ships) have enough
supply of say antibiotics for toddlers, if needed? The cruise-line says
yes but I wanted to check with the group to make sure it's indeed the
case.

4. Any useful tips for traveling with a 15 month old on the cruise?

Many thanks.

Big_Dad

Old April 17th, 2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Better off leaving a 15 month old child at home with (if possible)loving
grandparents,a child this size will not appreciate alaska

(.a cruise lover.)

Old April 17th, 2006, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, my wife and I are going on a cruise to Alaska this July. We'll
also have our 15 month old son with us and I had a few general
questions:

It is a bit inconsistant...the first time we went in July, it was cool and
rainy..but we spent most of our time in Ketchikan..The second time we took
the Statendam and found the weather hot in Anchorage (had to buy more summer
clothes there).Last year we were in Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks and Seward
and again it was very warm..90's...So My best advice would be for you to
layer the clothing for him and yourselves..Short sleeve shirts, long sleeve
shirts, sweatshirts and sweaters....that way, you can remove layers as the
weather changes..On the ship, near the glaciers you will need jackets with
parkas and mittens especially for the little one...Last year, it was so warm
and sunny on deck near the glaciers, that pullover sweaters or jackets were
enough. Not much help, am I? It really is unpredicatable and your best bet
is layering your clothing.

1. How's usually the weather in Alaska during July?

First one, cool and rainy..last two cruises..wonderful and sunny!

2. Besides covering our young one properly, taking care of his food,
taking relevant medication (tylenol etc.) with us, is there anything
else we need to be careful/prepared about with respect to his well
being on the cruise as well as off the cruise (during excursions)?

Just reasonable precautions to his safety and frequent hand washing before
meals and any other chance you get, as little ones love to put their fingers
in their mouths!
If you have a balcony, make sure he cannot unlock the door to it. Also the
step into the bathroom is usually high and he can easily trip over it...
I would play it safe with plenty of bottled water for him and juice..Also
the snacks he especially likes while on excursions..Of course if he is in
diapers, you know what all goes in his diaper bag! ;-) I always stuck a damp
soapy washcloth in a baggy and had it to wipe those little hands when there
was no water available nearby...now days they have containers of hand wipes
that you can toss after their use.

3. I know ships have a physician 24/7 but do they (ships) have enough
supply of say antibiotics for toddlers, if needed? The cruise-line says
yes but I wanted to check with the group to make sure it's indeed the
case

I have had to have anti-biotics once on a cruise and they were
available..With all the ports in Alaska, there are also pharmacies to fill
prescriptions if necessary.

4. Any useful tips for traveling with a 15 month old on the cruise?

Just do as you do at home and enjoy yourselves..You will find that there are
some people who do not like children around them....especially if they are
noisey and cry a lot..Being a Mom of five and a grandmother and great
grandmother, I can empathize when that happens..but if the little one starts
crying or misbehaving (especially in the dining room) be considerate and
leave until all is under control! That also applies to the shows at night
as little ones tend to get tired and bored around that time...As long as you
are considerate of others around you, you will be just fine and have a great
time...You will find that the crew dotes on little ones as many of them have
little ones of their own who are living far away in the countries where they
come from..Bringing some of his favorite and familiar toys or stuffed
animals may help him adjust to his new environment, too!
A happy and healthy toddler is the most important...Enjoy your cruise! If I
can help with any other questions, I will be happy to... I 'm sure I have
forgotten something that someone else will mention here.

Many thanks.

You're welcome!

Big_Dad

You sound like a good one! ;-)

--Jean

Old April 17th, 2006, 11:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Try to make sure he sticks as close to his normal routine as possible and
that means quiet times in the cabin without all the goings on up on
deck.Your son will remember through pictures ,the fun time you spent
together as a family and not the food, entertainment or wine tasting !

One thing I always did with my kids when they were small on vacation was to
bring a large ring holder and a hole punch. You can buy postcards and write
a few sentences on the back about what you did that day.Add menus, receipts
and later pictures of the trip.It will make a fine keepsake for him as he
gets older.

There is a show on HBO about Rosie O'Donnell and her gay family cruise. It
was amazing to find a cruise that openly accepted kids of all ages.No one
was put off by frequent trip to the bathroom " I have to go potty NOW " or
temper tantrums.

It's really a sweet show and will get you in the mood for a cruise.

Have fun.
Doreen
oups.com...

Old April 17th, 2006, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Dear Dad,

First off, I would recommend having junior spend a
wonderful visit with Grandma and / or Grandpa if that is
possible. You will all enjoy things much better.

If junior can't visit with the grandparents or aunts /
uncles, then prepare for the trip like any other expedition.
There are stores in all the Alaskan ports, and they take
credit cards!

While you are cruising, please be considerate of those
sharing your ship with you. If/when junior gets cranky, go
to somewhere where only you and your wife can enjoy the
crankiness. Listening to a tired / angry toddler is a joy
only to a very select few. Also, most ships are not
soundproofed enough to muffle the cries of a really angry
little one.

Dress in layers, because the weather can be anything
from cool to hot, dry to soaking wet.

Regarding medications for your little one. The random
use of antibiotics is dangerous for the child and tends to
lead to the development of resistant bugs. Take the tylenol,
etc. but save the antibiotics for use under supervision of a
medical expert. The major ships all have very well equipped
medical facilities as well as doctors, and there are
drugstores in all the ports (and more doctors). You are
visiting Alaska and Canada; none of the areas you are
visiting can be considered to be a developing country. If
you need it, bottled water is available in every port, and
much less expensive than onboard the ship and a lot easier
than trying to carry it from home.

A number of excursions are not suitable for young
children. Double check and if in doubt, don't. I include in
these river rafting and helicopter touring - expensive and
potentially very messy with a little one.
Have fun, and take lots of pictures,
Cheers,
John in LALALand

Old April 17th, 2006, 11:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You'll have a wonderful time. I'm sure you'll be
considerate of your fellow passengers if the baby becomes
fussy. Remember, that the waiters and cabin steward are
caring for ALL passengers, so we include any children in the
tipping count.

When we recently cruised with our family, including a 12
month old, our son and DIL brought along a "kit," consisting
of her PASSPORT, Certificate of Live Birth that named him
and his wife as the parents, and photos of her in the event
she became separated from us for some reason. As you plan,
they also brought along a decongestant and Tylenol, though
I'm sure it could be found aboard the ship if needed. Don't
forget to pack wet wipes in the diaper bag and disposable
bibs for meals.

Your note made me think. . . I wonder if a child exposed to
the movement of a ship would grow up to be less prone to
seasickness as an adult? It's just a thought that crossed
my mind. Perhaps some of the medical or pharmaceutical
folks out there have seen or heard anything on that thought?

Nonnymus
Old April 18th, 2006, 12:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 21:50:56 GMT, "Jean O'Boyle"
wrote:

I have had to have anti-biotics once on a cruise and they were
available..With all the ports in Alaska, there are also pharmacies to fill
prescriptions if necessary.

But it is important to note that there are days where the ship is at
sea.

4. Any useful tips for traveling with a 15 month old on the cruise?

Just do as you do at home and enjoy yourselves..You will find that there are
some people who do not like children around them....especially if they are
noisey and cry a lot..Being a Mom of five and a grandmother and great
grandmother, I can empathize when that happens..but if the little one starts
crying or misbehaving (especially in the dining room) be considerate and
leave until all is under control! That also applies to the shows at night
as little ones tend to get tired and bored around that time...

I'd recommend sitting in the back if a child that young is taken to a
show. It might be possible to find a babysitter from the crew but we
wouldn't have left our child with a stranger when she was that young.

As long as you
are considerate of others around you, you will be just fine and have a great
time...

We traveled a lot when our daughter was young and got some unhappy
looks sometimes. She was generally good but if she fussed or acted up,
she would be taken out immediately. Unfortunately, many people don't
do that.
Old April 18th, 2006, 12:47 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:52:05 GMT, J Carnaghie
wrote:

A number of excursions are not suitable for young
children. Double check and if in doubt, don't. I include in
these river rafting and helicopter touring - expensive and
potentially very messy with a little one.
Have fun, and take lots of pictures,
Cheers,
John in LALALand

And even on excursions that can be suitable, there are points to be
considered. There are always sightseeing trips by bus but many of
these involve a good bit of walking and taking the stroller could be a
space problem. It might be a good idea to check.