Statement from VMS/TCOPIP engineers ? (BIND and Verisign)

Old September 19th, 2003, 05:55 PM
JFmezei

Default Statement from VMS/TCOPIP engineers ? (BIND and Verisign)

With apparent unwillingness of ICANN to act against Verisign, it seems that we
will have to act on our own to restore functionality.

TO this end, the BIND consortium has released patches to BIND 9.2 which will
return NXDOMAIN when a request comes back from Verisign as a positive pointing
to a verisign host.

However, such patches are of little use to VMS users.

Should we expect any action from the VMS TCPIP engineers with regards to
backporting those patches to the VMS versions (for both VAX and Alpha) ?

How different is the BIND software on VMS compared to the real BIND software ?
Would it be technically feasable to compile the real BIND software on VMS with
just a few modules being added for the VMS specific stuff ?
Old September 19th, 2003, 06:22 PM
mrtravel

JFmezei wrote:

With apparent unwillingness of ICANN to act against Verisign, it seems that we
will have to act on our own to restore functionality.

TO this end, the BIND consortium has released patches to BIND 9.2 which will
return NXDOMAIN when a request comes back from Verisign as a positive pointing
to a verisign host.

However, such patches are of little use to VMS users.

Should we expect any action from the VMS TCPIP engineers with regards to
backporting those patches to the VMS versions (for both VAX and Alpha) ?

How different is the BIND software on VMS compared to the real BIND software ?
Would it be technically feasable to compile the real BIND software on VMS with
just a few modules being added for the VMS specific stuff ?

I was discussing this with Cricket Liu just last week. (just kidding, we
don't talk about VMS) Although I know longer support our main DNS
product, I am quite familiar with the topic.
The acquired company I used to work for made an IP stack for VMS. I was
even at DECUS in Cincinnati, helping out on a seminar on my new (then)
company's DNS/DHCP product for UNIX/Microsoft. It was there that we
announced selling our VMS product to Process.

http://bind8nt.meiway.com/resources.cfm even mentions me as being DNS
knowledgeable (as a reference) .... I think it would be quite feasible
to compile the parts of BIND that you want to compile, but I think you
might want to discuss this on a DNS or VMS forum and not on an air
travel one.