The problem with airlines!!

Old March 26th, 2008, 09:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default The problem with airlines!!

I know with the subject this could go anywhere, but just need to
vent. I have a flight home from TX to UT in about a month. My plans
have changed so I wanted to try and make it home a few days earlier.
Well, called united and sure we can change your flight for only $100
plus the difference in the fare. I told them they were crazy and
after yelling for a bit they were able to bring it down from $180 to
$150. Just a note I could by a one way fare for just a little over
$200 on their website. So at this point not saving me a whole lot of
money.

So I asked them if I could call a few hrs ahead of time of the flight
I am interested in and if they have seats available let me switch to
that one and pay them like $50. Now they were able to get more money
out of me + they now have my seat available to sell at full price
which will probably be ridiculous because it will only be a few days
away. I even said that I would try and do it on a flight that had at
least 10 to make sure they had room for any last second travelers.

There reply was, the only option we have is the $100 plus the fare
difference. It just doesn't make sense to me. Those seats are going
to be empty anyways. It makes more sense to me to fill them and try
and sell my seat and hey if they don't sell my seat they aren't out
anything because I already paid for it or they made $50 becasue of the
change fee or whatever they call it.

Just a note. Delta is the same way except if you want to change a
flight sameday the do us a favor and only charge $50 whereas I believe
United wasn't going to charge. I am not for sure on that because my
flight is the first one out so it wasn't even an option.

Sorry this is so long but it is no wonder the airlines are claiming
bankruptcy. They try and weasel every last cent out of us and have NO
desire to help out their customers. With that said i will NEVER fly
on United again.

Last note, as I was reading on united they are going to be changing
the check in baggage policy. They are only going to allow 1 check in
bag uness you are one of their special members. If you want to add on
a second they arre going to charge $25. Just another way they are
trying to get us for everything we are worth.
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

A typical rant of an uniformed passenger. Basically, he obviously
bought a cheap advanced fare subject to the very conditions he is now
moaning about. If he didn't want that, he could have bought an
restricted fare. He didn't want to do that so he bought the cheapo
one and wants it treated like a higher price restricted one. That's
all that's going on here.

Old March 27th, 2008, 12:00 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Mar 26, 6:40*pm, James Robinson wrote:
wrote:
Sorry this is so long but it is no wonder the airlines are claiming
bankruptcy. *They try and weasel every last cent out of us and have NO
desire to help out their customers. *With that said i will NEVER fly
on United again.

Guess what: *In spite of your suspicions that airlines are gouging you,
they really aren't making much of a profit. *They also want to lock you in,
and they don't want you jumping from one airline to another at the last
minute. *United is no worse than the other legacy carriers.

If you want more flexibility in changing tickets, fly Southwest.

I understand they are not making a whole lot, so it seems like the
solution I mention above would work in their favor. I pay them $50 to
change my ticket to fly out the day that I want (calling only a few
hrs before the flight leaves to make sure they have an available
seat). Not losing money there, in fact they are making $50 on me plus
the can sell the seat on my original flight. Seems like a win, win to
me. Thanks for the advice on Southwest, I will certainly look in to
that.
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Mar 26, 6:51*pm, (John Kulp) wrote:
A typical rant of an uniformed passenger. *Basically, he obviously
bought a cheap advanced fare subject to the very conditions he is now
moaning about. *If he didn't want that, he could have bought an
restricted fare. *He didn't want to do that so he bought the cheapo
one and wants it treated like a higher price restricted one. *That's
all that's going on here.

I may not know everything about the airlines I do know that a
refundable economy ticket for my itinerary was only $1100. I could by
three of the economy tickets I purchased for that amazing price. All
I am saying is that sometimes plans change don't try to take every
last cent I have to make a change. Please tell me what is wrong with
my solution. A one way ticket for my flight home is currently at
$217. You add that to the $50 I pay them to change my ticket they
just made $267 that would not normally have made. That scenario is
considering that my flight home is full. Which right now the flight I
want has a lot more seats available then my flight home. So I ask you
how is the airline losing in this situation. Even if they don't sell
my seat they just made $50 more than they otherwise would have. I
also should state that I don't have to be home early, so I don't have
to leave early. Last point with the above scenario, they will still
make their money off of people who want a confirmed seat. So I
appreciate the post from you, the informed passenger.

Old March 27th, 2008, 12:40 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:13:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Mar 26, 6:51=A0pm, (John Kulp) wrote:
A typical rant of an uniformed passenger. =A0Basically, he obviously
bought a cheap advanced fare subject to the very conditions he is now
moaning about. =A0If he didn't want that, he could have bought an
restricted fare. =A0He didn't want to do that so he bought the cheapo
one and wants it treated like a higher price restricted one. =A0That's
[...]

You just described the bargain you made if I read this post right.
Airlines sell discount non-refundable, non -changeable tickets to fill
a certain quota of seats. They have these restrictions. You liked
that price so you took it with the conditions that UA explained to you
when you tried to change it. You can see them before you buy the
ticket. The problem with your solution is you want to get out of the
bargain you made when you bought the ticket at the price you did.
Stick with it and you will still have it. Don't and you pay the
penalties you outlined. What do you expect? A free lunch. When you
buy something at a discount---particularly a deep discount--it almost
always comes with conditions like these. What's the mystery?
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:00:25 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Mar 26, 6:40=A0pm, James Robinson wrote:
wrote:
Sorry this is so long but it is no wonder the airlines are claiming
bankruptcy. =A0They try and weasel every last cent out of us and have NO=

desire to help out their customers. =A0With that said i will NEVER fly
on United again.

Guess what: =A0In spite of your suspicions that airlines are gouging you,
they really aren't making much of a profit. =A0They also want to lock you =

in,
and they don't want you jumping from one airline to another at the last
minute. =A0United is no worse than the other legacy carriers.

If you want more flexibility in changing tickets, fly Southwest.

I understand they are not making a whole lot, so it seems like the
solution I mention above would work in their favor. I pay them $50 to
change my ticket to fly out the day that I want (calling only a few
hrs before the flight leaves to make sure they have an available
seat). Not losing money there, in fact they are making $50 on me plus
the can sell the seat on my original flight. Seems like a win, win to
me. Thanks for the advice on Southwest, I will certainly look in to
that.

They're not interested in your proposition obviously. They simply
want you to stick to the bargain you made when you accepted their
price.
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:13:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I may not know everything about the airlines I do know that a
refundable economy ticket for my itinerary was only $1100. I could by
three of the economy tickets I purchased for that amazing price.

So if you buy two tickets, you are still ahead of the game.

[...]

And if they allowed people to do that, why would anyone buy an
unrestricted ticket at the higher price?

Old March 27th, 2008, 02:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

And if they allowed people to do that, why would anyone buy an
unrestricted ticket at the higher price?

That is a good point. But I really wonder how many people buy the
unrestricted tickets anyway.

Old March 27th, 2008, 02:26 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

You just described the bargain you made if I read this post right.
Airlines sell discount non-refundable, non -changeable tickets to fill
a certain quota of seats. *They have these restrictions. *You liked
that price so you took it with the conditions that UA explained to you
when you tried to change it. *You can see them before you buy the
ticket. *The problem with your solution is you want to get out of the
bargain you made when you bought the ticket at the price you did.
Stick with it and you will still have it. *Don't and you pay the
penalties you outlined. *What do you expect? *A free lunch. *When you
buy something at a discount---particularly a deep discount--it almost
always comes with conditions like these. *What's the mystery?- Hide quoted text -

I am not sure where you are getting deeply discounted ticket. It is
not like I got my ticket at priceline or hotwire I purchased it from
united. I understand your point that I purchased the ticket non
refundable etc. However, when I called to change the best they could
offer (at first) was a whopping $30 discount from what I could
purchase a one-way ticket on their website. At the end they finally
agreed to a $50 or $60 discount. So, my problem is that they will be
able to sell my ticket and if they sold it as a one way ticket they
would make $370 because I wanted to change the day I go home. I
really don't think they need to make $370 for a one way ticket. That
is all I am saying. If you are jumping for joy if you wanted to
change part of your flight and the airline is going to charge another
$150 so they can make a total of $370 off of your change, then be my
guest. I think it is a ripoff and chose not to do it. I guess it is
a good think I don't have to. Unfortunately that is who they take
advantage of, is the people that don't have a choice. And if I would
have paid the $150 more the least they could do is give me a free
lunch