Thailand - Phuket Day tours, outdoor stuff...

Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:08 AM
Matt Mason

Default Thailand - Phuket Day tours, outdoor stuff...

I would like my fiancee and I to take a day tour whilst in Phuket. I
have been checking out a sea canoe cave tour, a white water rafting
tour, a few other things.

Anyone here have a recommendation of an activity? We have already done
a canoe tour of mangroves in Krabi. The rafting tour looks interesting,
but I am not sure how much water there will be in early May.

thanks in advance...

Matt

Old April 2nd, 2004, 10:35 AM
Wavelength

We just returned a few weeks ago and took 2 pretty good tours. One was to
Phi Phi (pronounced Pee Pee) Island on a speed boat group tour of about a
dozen people. The other was a speed boat tour to Phang Nga (pronounced Pang
Na). The tour prices are better once you are there and from a local travel
agency. Some places will lower the price, even on Fantasea. Some Phang Nga
tours offer canoe tours of the caves amd mangrove swarmps. This shouldn't be
mistaken as a real exploration of the caves in the region, but rather a trip
through one that may open up into a mangrove swamp in the centre of an
island and ringed with cliffs on both sides.
Fantasea was beautiful, a truly amazing show...but leave your camera at
home...you cannot bring cameras into the show. This is a good place to check
out the price of touristy stuff, if you are thinking about bargaining later
on
The Phi Phi tour was mainly a swimming / snorkling tour with plenty of stops
and plenty of beautiful fish to photograph, if your camera can do it. They
sell waterproof camera cases here for underwater photography for some
digital makes.
Enjoy,

Old April 6th, 2004, 12:39 PM
LEANNE HOPGOOD

Hi Mat,
I would also suggest a day trip to Phi Phi. better still stay overnight and
get a long boat to take you around snorkelling etc (about 440baht)you can
get cheap accomm and the boat to Phi Phi is about 550baht from a local
agent. Skip the included lunch though(its crap) and get some of those tasty
pancakes(roti) instead.
Also hiring a motorbike and going around the island of Phuket is not bad.
small hire motorbikes from about 110baht per day(do not pay 450 a day in
patong) you can get them from kata for 110.
We will also be there in early may so let us know if you want to catch up
for a meal or something and we can give you the run down.
Steve.