Ireland itinerary- suggestions?

Old August 7th, 2006, 05:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Misty

Default Ireland itinerary- suggestions?

Will be arriving in Dublin on Aug 12 at 7 pm, after a LONG flight. I
have a hotel booked for 3 nights, considering the first night a write
off. Catching up on sleep. Initially, I had planned on spending 3
nights in Belfast, then heading to Scotland (our next stop). Then,
after watching Rick Steve's Europe, I fell in ove with Dingle and
Galway and the south. I know I can't do al of Ireland in the week we're
there, but I want to try!

I was thinking I could cut out one of ouyr days in Scotland, which
isn't booked yet. We could go to Galway for 2 nights, Maybe see Dingle
if we have time. Then go back to Belfast for 2 nights, before jumping
on the ferry to Stranraer.

If this is too much, should I spend a couple of days in another town,
perhaps? LondonDerry?

While In Dublin, we will likely visit the wicklow mountains, and
Newgrange, and the brewery. The rest we'll do as we see fit. I'd like
to also see the Giants causeway while in Belfast.

And second- whats the ebst way to travel between cities? Cost as well
as scenery/comfort are a concern. I was thinking train, but others have
told me the bus is more sceneic, and just as comfortable- I see its
only a 3 hour ride to Galway. Is there interesting things to see? Or
should we just rent a car in dublin, and drop it back off there then
take the train to belfast?

Any help appreciated. We're leaving next week, so I'm a little stressed
that I don't know what we're doing yet!

Old August 7th, 2006, 05:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2006-08-06 23:05:18 -0500, "Misty" said:

Will be arriving in Dublin on Aug 12 at 7 pm, after a LONG flight. I
have a hotel booked for 3 nights, considering the first night a write
off. Catching up on sleep. Initially, I had planned on spending 3
nights in Belfast, then heading to Scotland (our next stop). Then,
after watching Rick Steve's Europe, I fell in ove with Dingle and
Galway and the south. I know I can't do al of Ireland in the week we're
there, but I want to try!

Don't blame you.

I was thinking I could cut out one of ouyr days in Scotland, which
isn't booked yet. We could go to Galway for 2 nights, Maybe see Dingle
if we have time. Then go back to Belfast for 2 nights, before jumping
on the ferry to Stranraer.

Keep in mind that the road system in Ireland isn't as well developed as
compared to what you're used to (assuming USA). Travel by car always
takes longer than you think. Watching out of the Gaelic road signs --
pull over to decipher them! There is a fast road from Dublin to
Belfast and I think another north from Limerick (or Galway?), but
that's about it. Maybe you could visit Dublin, then take a shuttle
flight to Shannon, and rent a car from there? I cannot speak of the
city of Galway, but to me, if you want to tour Dingle then maybe you
could consider Beara as well. The Healy Pass is incredible.

If this is too much, should I spend a couple of days in another town,
perhaps? LondonDerry?

Depends on what you want to see. I hear Londonderry has impressive
city walls, but I'm not really infatuated with the cities. When I go
to Ireland I want to see countryside and megalithics.

While In Dublin, we will likely visit the wicklow mountains, and
Newgrange, and the brewery. The rest we'll do as we see fit. I'd like
to also see the Giants causeway while in Belfast.

How much time do you have for all this?

If you have time for touing the Wicklow mountains, maybe you go take in
Glendalough while you're at it. It's a beautiful monastic ruin. To
me, the Wicklow mountains are "nice" but mostly a lot of bog as far as
the eye can see.

As for the Guinness brewery tour, go if you really like Guinness. It's
rather touristy. But the pint you get in the "sky bar" at the top will
be the single best pint of beer you will ever drink in your entire life.

And second- whats the ebst way to travel between cities? Cost as well
as scenery/comfort are a concern. I was thinking train, but others have
told me the bus is more sceneic, and just as comfortable- I see its
only a 3 hour ride to Galway. Is there interesting things to see? Or
should we just rent a car in dublin, and drop it back off there then
take the train to belfast?

To me, if you are OK with driving on the left side of the road / right
side of the car, I'd recommend renting ("hiring") a car. A narrow one.
Because you get such huge flexibility that way, you can see a lot lot
more by setting your own schedule.

Any help appreciated. We're leaving next week, so I'm a little stressed
that I don't know what we're doing yet!

Wow. Get yourself the Lonely Planet guide to Ireland. That's what I
used, it was alright. Get a Michelin road atlas to Great Britain and
Ireland -- it marks "scenic" roads. Study up!

Lastly: I don't know what you've planned for Scotland, but: don't
skimp. It's awesome, too. These places aren't going anywhere -- you
can always return.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:

(remove nospam from email address to reply via email)

Old August 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Hewitt[_1_]

"Misty" wrote in message
oups.com...

I was thinking I could cut out one of ouyr days in Scotland, which
isn't booked yet. We could go to Galway for 2 nights, Maybe see Dingle
if we have time. Then go back to Belfast for 2 nights, before jumping
on the ferry to Stranraer.

How many days do you have in Scotland? It sounds like you don't have much
time really. Plus when arriving at Stranraer you've got a good drive to get
up to the Highlands, which IMO if you are going to Scotland you need to go
to the highlands!

tbh, I would cut out Scotland completely, not that I don't think much of it,
quite the opposite, Scotland is deserving of a week of it's own not a couple
of days tacked onto a trip to Ireland.

Old August 7th, 2006, 09:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Padraig Breathnach

"Misty" wrote:

Will be arriving in Dublin on Aug 12 at 7 pm, after a LONG flight. I
have a hotel booked for 3 nights, considering the first night a write
off. Catching up on sleep. Initially, I had planned on spending 3
nights in Belfast, then heading to Scotland (our next stop). Then,
after watching Rick Steve's Europe, I fell in ove with Dingle and
Galway and the south. I know I can't do al of Ireland in the week we're
there, but I want to try!

This brings to mind the line "If I wanted to go there, I wouldn't
start from here."

Six days is a short visit. You seem to want some "classic" Irish
tourist experiences, yet you sketched out a programme with 3 nights in
Dublin and 3 in Belfast.

I was thinking I could cut out one of ouyr days in Scotland, which
isn't booked yet. We could go to Galway for 2 nights, Maybe see Dingle
if we have time. Then go back to Belfast for 2 nights, before jumping
on the ferry to Stranraer.

Option 1 is to live with your original decisions. You can't do
everything in such a short time.

Option 2 is to scrap your original plan almost entirely and re-program
around a trip to the west and south-west. Two nights in Galway
(allowing only one full day) is hardly worth the trouble. You will not
have time to see Dingle from a base in Galway.

If this is too much, should I spend a couple of days in another town,
perhaps? LondonDerry?

Why?

While In Dublin, we will likely visit the wicklow mountains, and
Newgrange, and the brewery. The rest we'll do as we see fit. I'd like
to also see the Giants causeway while in Belfast.

And second- whats the ebst way to travel between cities? Cost as well
as scenery/comfort are a concern. I was thinking train, but others have
told me the bus is more sceneic, and just as comfortable- I see its
only a 3 hour ride to Galway. Is there interesting things to see? Or
should we just rent a car in dublin, and drop it back off there then
take the train to belfast?

Trains generally are more comfortable and faster, but buses are
cheaper and not too bad. For scenery, there is little to choose,
especially between Dublin and Galway, which is not a scenic route
anyway.

If you want to visit the west and south-west, especially with limited
time, hire a car for at least that portion of your trip.

Any help appreciated. We're leaving next week, so I'm a little stressed
that I don't know what we're doing yet!

Don't compromise: stick close to your original plan, or scrap it. You
can't shoehorn in an extra bit that size and not notice the pinch.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED