London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

Old April 4th, 2013, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim......

Default London-Paris-Alps-Venice-Athens

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
From my recollection travelling through that area before, it's ALL
beautimous. So I would ask if there are any glaciers that one can drive
to and walk someone close to the face? That would definitely shape my
route. Any ideas?

Not aware of any worthwhile glacier faces on mainland Europe (even in
Norway).

You have to go to the far north islands (Iceland/Greenland/Svalbard) for
that

tim

Old April 4th, 2013, 11:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 03/31/2013 04:53 PM, Dan Stephenson wrote:

Wednesday - train to Paris (depending on departure schedule, perhaps
visiting Tower this morning to provide more British Museum time on prior
day)

Thursday - visit the Louvre, go to top of Eiffel Tower

Friday - go to airport and rent a car, and drive to Davos, Switzerland.
I will check to confirm I can rent a car and drive it outside the
country.

Saturday - cross the Stelvio Pass, drive through the Alps to Venice,
drop car off at airport, arrive at hotel

Rent in France, one-way drop-off in Italy? Have you checked the rates?

Old April 5th, 2013, 09:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

From my recollection travelling through that area before, it's ALL
beautimous. So I would ask if there are any glaciers that one can
drive to and walk someone close to the face? That would definitely
shape my route. Any ideas?

There's there glacier which is the source of the Rhône, about halfway up
the west ramp of the Furkapass from Gletsch.
I don't know if you can get to teh face, but there are ice tunnels etc.

Also about 3/4 the way up the west side of the Sustenpass is the
Steingletscher. Quite small but you can walk up to it and on to it.

--
Tim C. Linz, Austria.
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 04/04/2013 11:14 AM, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 10:23:35 +0200, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:
On Tue, 2 Apr 2013, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
I would drop Paris, fly from London to Milano (or similar) and

rent
the car there.

Why not Zurich then ? It will mean doing most of the trip north of

the
Alps, which is possible more scenic.

Because then you would be returning a Swiss car in Italy and get the
hefty one-way fee.

The one-way fees seem to be highly unpredictable. From what I have
heard, you may be in luck and the car rental station just happens to
have a car standing there which is registered in the country where you
are going to - in other words, you are transporting the car back home
for them. Otherwise, you could be charged for the cost of transporting
the car back to its country of origin, which could run into several
hundred Euros.

Old April 7th, 2013, 04:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article
,

On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 23:20:53 +0000 (UTC), Jesper Lauridsen
On 2013-03-31, Dan Stephenson wrote:
Saturday - cross the Stelvio Pass, drive through the Alps to

Venice,
drop car off at airport, arrive at hotel

Here you're going to be hit hard by the one way fee. Returning a

rental
car in *another country* is expensive.

I tried Europcar with your data ( dropoff in Mestre; don't see any
point in going to an airport). Prices start at $700 for the smallest
vehicle class.

I'm a bit miffed that prices are lower when I claim to be American
than they are when I go with Danish.

Funny, when I go to the UK and Euro car sites, rates are lower when they
assume you're a UK resident. Much lower IIRC.
Old April 7th, 2013, 04:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article
ngr.vans.vg,
Giovanni Drogo wrote:

You do not tell us WHEN you plan that. You should check that Stelvio
(and possibly some other passes) are open. I guess they are currently
still closed by snow.

Not sure why you have chosen exactly Stelvio among all possible Alp
passes. Also you do not tell us details on the routes.

How high is it?

I'm going for 2 weeks in late May, spending a few days in Val Gardena,
hoping to drive around the Gardena and Sella passes.

Hope I don't have to worry about tire chains by then.

Then at the end of the trip, spending a couple of days in Aosta. May
drive to Chamonix to go up the cable car there.
Old April 8th, 2013, 08:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 20:46:14 -0700, poldy wrote in post :
news
How high is it?

I'm going for 2 weeks in late May, spending a few days in Val Gardena,
hoping to drive around the Gardena and Sella passes.

Late may is touch and go for the Stelvio. You'll probably be able to get up
from Bormio but not over the east ramp. There is still over 2m of snow at
the top on the road.

--
Tim C. Linz, Austria.
Old April 8th, 2013, 10:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 10:55:53 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:29:17 +0200, "Tim C." wrote:

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 20:46:14 -0700, poldy wrote in post :
news
How high is it?

I'm going for 2 weeks in late May, spending a few days in Val Gardena,
hoping to drive around the Gardena and Sella passes.

Late may is touch and go for the Stelvio. You'll probably be able to get up
from Bormio but not over the east ramp. There is still over 2m of snow at
the top on the road.

That cause serious problems to his schedule.

Probably.

I expect all the passes in the Dolomites to be open. They are kept clear
for the ski resorts and inhabitants through the Winter, and they are
generally snow-free most of the year.

Grimsel, Furka, Splügen and Stelvio/Stilfserjoch are pretty much the last
to open in the eastern/central Alps.

Here's what the Stelvio looks like now:
http://jpeg.popso.it/webcam/webcam_o...violive_04.jpg

Those doors are the fronts to the shops and stalls, about 2m high. Any
clearance vehicles will come from the left of the camera's view.

--
Tim C. Linz, Austria.
Old April 8th, 2013, 01:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 04/08/2013 11:47 AM, Tim C. wrote:
[...]

In any case, where is he going to get a set of snow tires and snow
chains from a car rental in Paris?

Old April 8th, 2013, 02:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 14:55:32 +0200, Tom P wrote in post :
:

In any case, where is he going to get a set of snow tires and snow
chains from a car rental in Paris?

It's not unfeasible, a lot of Parisians go skiing. But it'll probably cost
extra at this time of year.

--
Tim C. Linz, Austria.