what is cheapest method to attend china olympics?

Old January 6th, 2008, 10:26 PM posted to soc.culture.china, rec.travel.usa-canada, soc.culture.singapore,soc.culture.japan, soc.culture.taiwan
RichAsianKid

Default what is cheapest method to attend china olympics?

On Jan 6, 2:00 pm, "Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD
" wrote:
On Jan 6, 4:03 wrote:

On Jan 6, 3:43 am, "Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD

" wrote:
On Jan 5, 1:27 pm, PeterL wrote:

On Jan 5, 3:22 am, "Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD

" wrote:
any secrets for Americans to securing cheap western-style motel rooms
and eating well with minimum expense inside china during the
olympics? Can we bid on cheap hotel accommodations on priceline?

I remember people were able to camp for the Greek Olympics. But
camping is not really a Chinese (or Asian) activity, so I don't think
there are any campgrounds nearby. There'd be no cheap hotels within
100 mile radius of Beijing. There are other activities in other
cities (Shanghai, HK?), but again I think cheap and Olympics are two
opposite concepts.

i heard many chinese families are renting their apartments for
olympics month to westerners at a decent profit.

That too, but more memorably they rent out their daughters.

photos please

In China anything not compulsory's forbidden...
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:37 AM posted to soc.culture.china, rec.travel.usa-canada, soc.culture.singapore,soc.culture.japan, soc.culture.taiwan
Wakalukong

" wrote:
any secrets for Americans to securing cheap western-style motel rooms
and eating well with minimum expense inside china during the
olympics? *Can we bid on cheap hotel accommodations on priceline?

I remember people were able to camp for the Greek Olympics. *But
camping is not really a Chinese (or Asian) activity, so I don't think
there are any campgrounds nearby. *There'd be no cheap hotels within
100 mile radius of Beijing. *There are other activities in other
cities (Shanghai, HK?), but again I think cheap and Olympics are two
opposite concepts.

i heard many chinese families are renting their apartments for
olympics month to westerners at a decent profit.

That too, but more memorably they rent out their daughters.- Hide quoted text -

-------

The votes are in; by a wide margin, you're the cheapest.

Wakalukong

Old January 7th, 2008, 04:53 AM posted to soc.culture.china, rec.travel.usa-canada, soc.culture.singapore,soc.culture.japan, soc.culture.taiwan
Ira IRa IRA Humperdink MD[_2_]

" wrote:
[...]

learn, poor boy, that cheapos get rich, big spenders lose all their
money.
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:00 AM posted to soc.culture.china, rec.travel.usa-canada, soc.culture.singapore,soc.culture.japan, soc.culture.taiwan
Wakalukong

" wrote:
[...]

money.- Hide quoted text -

--------

Of course. I was referring to RAK as the cheapest. Notwithstanding
that, he never gets rich because he's not spending cheap -- he's
charging cheap.

Wakalukong
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:11 AM posted to soc.culture.china, rec.travel.usa-canada, soc.culture.singapore,soc.culture.japan, soc.culture.taiwan
baldeagle

On Jan 7, 12:06*am, "Jim" wrote:
On Jan 5, 1:27 pm, PeterL wrote:

any secrets for Americans to securing cheap western-style motel rooms
and eating well with minimum expense inside china during the
olympics? *Can we bid on cheap hotel accommodations on priceline?

There is no chance to secure hotel rooms or service
appartments in Beijing during the Oympics....all hotel
rooms, cheap or not so cheap, are all fully booked.

Your best bet is to book a room in a hotel, in the nearby
township. Langfang Shi (town), located about 40 kilo metres
away from Beijing.. is less than a hour away by bus or
train. This town is half way between Beijing and Tianjin,
the seaport city.

There is no online booking service for all the hotels in
Langfang. You could book a room through a travel agent
in Beijing.

Good luck.
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:18 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.culture.singapore,soc.culture.japan,soc.culture.taiwan
tim.....

"baldeagle" wrote in message
On Jan 7, 12:06 am, "Jim" wrote:
On Jan 5, 1:27 pm, PeterL wrote:

any secrets for Americans to securing cheap western-style motel rooms
and eating well with minimum expense inside china during the
olympics? Can we bid on cheap hotel accommodations on priceline?

There is no chance to secure hotel rooms or service
appartments in Beijing during the Oympics....all hotel
rooms, cheap or not so cheap, are all fully booked.

And if you believe that you'll believe anything.

What they mean is that they've allocated the rooms to the package tour
companies who are trying to sell packages at rip-off prices.

But many of these rooms are bound to go unsold and will be released back to
the hotels in a couple of months.

Athens probably has less hotel space than Beijing has, and it was not full
during the Olympics because casual travellers wern't prepared to pay the
prices being asked. The same will happen in Beijing.

tim

Old January 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM posted to soc.culture.china, rec.travel.usa-canada, soc.culture.singapore,soc.culture.japan, soc.culture.taiwan
baldeagle

On Jan 7, 5:18*pm, "tim....." wrote:
"baldeagle" wrote in message

On Jan 7, 12:06 am, "Jim" wrote:

On Jan 5, 1:27 pm, PeterL wrote:
any secrets for Americans to securing cheap western-style motel rooms
and eating well with minimum expense inside china during the
olympics? Can we bid on cheap hotel accommodations on priceline?

There is no chance to secure hotel rooms or service
appartments in Beijing during the Oympics....all hotel
rooms, cheap or not so cheap, are all fully booked.

And if you believe that you'll believe anything.

What they mean is that they've allocated the rooms to the package tour
companies who are trying to sell packages at rip-off prices.

True. The tour companies have been active since Dec, 2007
in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Hong Kong
selling tours (with guaranteed admission tickets) at two to three
times the normal prices...plus cost of tickets.

If you have tickets, or friends to purchase tickets locally,..
it is far cheaper to stay at Langfang (including transport)...
at less than 20% the cost of package tours.

But many of these rooms are bound to go unsold and will be released back to
the hotels in a couple of months.

What if there is no room left... I wouldn't gamble with
the chance of a life time...to watch the Olympics in
Bejing.

Athens probably has less hotel space than Beijing has, and it was not full
during the Olympics because casual travellers wern't prepared to pay the
prices being asked. *The same will happen in Beijing.

It is not the same. The Americans and the Europeans
may be put off by the high prices. But ..the Chinese
in SE Asia and Hong Kong are cash rich and are fanatical
in their support of the Beijing games. All the rooms in Beijing
are NOT enough for the supporters from SE Asia alone...
if no millions ...at least a few hundred thousands.

Old January 7th, 2008, 11:08 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.culture.singapore,soc.culture.japan,soc.culture.taiwan
Ventura[_2_]

top post = good
bottom = smells?

"grusl" wrote in message

"Ventura" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Attend live telecast?

top post?

Old January 7th, 2008, 11:17 AM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.culture.singapore,soc.culture.japan,soc.culture.taiwan
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"baldeagle" schrieb

What if there is no room left...

Sounds a bit risky to me.

But ..the Chinese in SE Asia and Hong Kong are cash rich
and are fanatical in their support of the Beijing games.

And there's a good chance that many of them know somebody
who knows someone whose brother-in-law works in a hotel.
I bet most of the rooms being returned by the tour operators
will be given to friends, relatives, neighbours...

Jochen
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM posted to soc.culture.china,rec.travel.usa-canada,soc.culture.singapore,soc.culture.japan,soc.culture.taiwan
tim.....

"baldeagle" wrote in message
On Jan 7, 5:18 pm, "tim....." wrote:
"baldeagle" wrote in message

What if there is no room left... I wouldn't gamble with
the chance of a life time...to watch the Olympics in
Bejing.

But a chance of a lifetime that you can't afford, may as well not br
available.

And TBH this isn't really a chance of a lifetime. There will be other
opportunities to go to the Olympics when they are held at a loaction which
is easier to get to (London for example) and other opportunities to go to
Beijing. There isn't enough special in the combination to make it that
important to get to.

tim