Yosemite/Sequoia/Kings Canyon Questions

Old May 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

Default Yosemite/Sequoia/Kings Canyon Questions

"Don Kirkman" wrote in message
It seems to me I heard somewhere that SMS wrote in article
:
Scott wrote:
If you're talking about this coming summer, you'd better get moving.
Even with the recession, accommodations in Yosemite are tight, and they
just lost a bunch of cabins in Curry Village due to rock slide danger.
I'm sure you're too late for White Wolf Lodge already. Maybe get
something out in Mono Lake.

No, you don't want to do that; Mono Lake is very brackish water,
though it does have spectacular tufa formations. There is no town
called Mono Lake; what you want is Lee Vining (two words) where CA 120
departs from US 395, the north-south highway on the east side of the
Sierras. Http://www.planetware.com/map-of/lee...g-us-ca-lv.htm
will give you some idea of what's available. It's a reasonable but
not short drive up over the Sierras, entering Yosemite at a high point
(Tenaya Lake) and taking a winding route on down into the main tourist
areas. It might do if you can't find lodging closer in, but I'm not
sure I'd like to commute over the Tioga pass very often. :-)
--

Not to mention, Tioga Pass is sometimes closed. KM

Old May 7th, 2009, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Scott wrote:
[...]

Wow, we have a lot of people unfamiliar with Yosemite now giving advice!

In the last 25 years, Tioga Pass Road hasn't been open by the first day
of summer only twice, and even then it's only been the first 10 days of
summer before it opened.

This year it will open early because there wasn't much snow.

For hiking in the Tuoloumne Meadows and Tenaya Lake area, you really
want to stay in one of the lodges up in that area if possible. They are
very popular and early reservations are required.
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article ,
SMS wrote:
Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
1. There is no lodging around Tenaya Lake.

He is right. There is a campground there.
There used to be more camp ground there and there is a High
Sierra "lodge" near by.
Both Tuolomne Meadows Lodge and White Wolf Lodge are close to the Tenaya
Lake Area of the park. I was just up at White Wolf last summer. The
original poster might get lucky, as there happened to be last minute space.

I would not use the word "close." Both lodges are really more tent
cabins like those used in Curry Village rather than either of the other
3 "Lodges"" now really 4 I guess. The Meadows and Tenaya are in
completely different drainages, however, the Park started shuttle bus
services to reduce congestion.

What he should _not_ do, is plan to stay in the Valley or outside the
park in Fish Camp or El Portal, and drive for hours each day to reach
various parts of the park. The summer traffic in Yosemite isn't as bad
as Yellowstone, but it can still be maddeningly slow.

Well that's tourists driving mostly 120/41 in the Valley.

My friends who still live there look at me strange ("You should know
better...") every time I attempt to bring other friends who want to see
the place when I have to search for parking
(and either park by their offices or residences).

I just want to set the record straight.

LOL, first you need to know the facts!

95389 was once my Zip code.

Facts change. Context isn't clear.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman[_2_]

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Alohacyberian wrote in article
:

"Don Kirkman" wrote in message
.. .

It might do if you can't find lodging closer in, but I'm not
sure I'd like to commute over the Tioga pass very often. :-)

Not to mention, Tioga Pass is sometimes closed. KM

True, but hardly ever in the summer months when the OP plans to
visit.
--
Don Kirkman

Old May 8th, 2009, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On May 7, 11:56*am, Don Kirkman wrote:
It seems to me I heard somewhere that Alohacyberian wrote in article
:

"Don Kirkman" wrote in message
.. .
It might do if you can't find lodging closer in, but I'm not
sure I'd like to commute over the Tioga pass very often. *:-)

Not to mention, Tioga Pass is sometimes closed. *KM

True, but hardly ever *in the summer months when the OP plans to
visit.

In a good snow year it can open in late June. When I drove through in
late June 2006 there weren't any services available. I saw the TM
store being set up and all the lodges and campgrounds were closed.
Not likely to happen this year though. I hear they're probably going
to open by mid May.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On May 8, 11:24*pm, Don Kirkman wrote:
It seems to me I heard somewhere that wrote in
article
:

On May 7, 11:56*am, Don Kirkman wrote:
It seems to me I heard somewhere that Alohacyberian wrote in article
:
"Don Kirkman" wrote in message
.. .
It might do if you can't find lodging closer in, but I'm not
sure I'd like to commute over the Tioga pass very often. *:-)
Not to mention, Tioga Pass is sometimes closed. *KM
True, but hardly ever *in the summer months when the OP plans to
visit.

In a good snow year it can open in late June. *When I drove through in
late June 2006 there weren't any services available. *I saw the TM
store being set up and all the lodges and campgrounds were closed.
Not likely to happen this year though. *I hear they're probably going
to open by mid May.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

You may have missed SMS's note: *"In the last 25 years, Tioga Pass
Road hasn't been open by the first day of summer only twice, and even
then it's only been the first 10 days of summer before it opened."
Summer travel seems like a good bet, to me. *:-)

I really didn't say anything about summer per se. I just wanted to
give the OP a historical perspective using June as the starting point.

I'm not particularly sure what anyone really wants to define as
"summer". From the original poster's point of view, it would probably
be when the daughter's school year ends and they can go on vacation
together.

If the definition of summer is starting June 21, then it's actually 3
times in the last 25 years (or 4 in the last 26). A broader view of
summer as school vacation period starting in June would mean 6 of the
last 25 years Tioga Road hasn't opened until summer.

As for the original poster - I'd say that between Lodgepole and Grant
Grove has a lot of good dayhike possibilities. I recommend doing a
loop at the Redwood Mountain Grove, which is the largest sequoia grove
in the world. The "saddle loop" takes you through unpaved trails and
presents a far different experience than either Grant Grove or the
Giant Forest. It's maybe 5-6 miles with gentle grades. There are
bears though, but they're not much of a threat to human safety.

It might not even be too late to secure a reservation at a cabin or
lodge in the park. Delaware North operates the pricier Wuksachi
Lodge. Sequoia-Kings Canyon Park Services Company operates the John
Muir Lodge, Grant Grove Cabins, and Cedar Grove Lodge, as well as a
few properties in Giant Sequoia National Monument between Grant Grove
and Sequoia NP.

http://www.visitsequoia.com/Accommodations.aspx
http://www.sequoia-kingscanyon.com/lodging.html
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

OK -

One more response......

On May 2, 1:13*pm, Scott wrote:
My wife and 9yo daughter and I are considering a summer trip to
Yosemite/Sequoia/Kings Canyon. We have a few questions for people who
have been there. We're not campers, so we prefer staying a decent
hotel, and then getting up in the morning for exploring the parks,
doing day hikes, and picnics, then returning in the evening for dinner
and going to bed. We plan on being there 6-7 days.

* Which area (Yosemite vs Seq/KC) has more accessible day hike
opportunities?

Both are good. Yosemite has tons of excellent day hikes in Yosemite
Valley, Tioga Road, Tuolumne Meadows, Hetch Hetchy, or Wawona. SEKI
is pretty darn good too and less crowded. What you get there can
include parts of Sequoia National Forest.

* Should we stay in the park, or is there a outside the park area with
hotels/restaurants/shopping for the evenings? (Three rivers, for
example?)

Mariposa or Oakhurst for Yosemite. Nothing really for SEKI outside of
a few small bed & breakfast type places. You could conceivably stay
in Fresno or Visalia and visit SEKI, but it's quite a drive if you
want to do it every day.

* What are the 'must see' locations in the parks?
* Our thinking now is that we should pick either Yosemite or Seq/KC,
as they are far enough apart that it's probably not reasonable to
cover both areas in one vacation. Agree?

You can do both in one trip and I have done so myself. I spent five
nights in Yosemite camping and backpacking, then four (was a planned
five) nights around SEKI, followed by one more night to go to
Yosemite.

The prime lodging in Yosemite Valley will already be booked by now
unless you're lucky enough to find a cancellation. Yosemite Lodge (at
the Falls) is fairly basic although the prices are not. It's more or
less motel level accommodations at hotel prices. You might consider
hard-sided cabins, although. You're more likely to find something
outside the park or Yosemite Valley. The Wawona Hotel isn't bad, but
it's also pricey for what you get.

You mentioned camping. Reservations for this June will be near
impossible now for Yosemite Valley campsites anyways. They mostly
sell out within 5-10 minutes of becoming available.

If you want to go to SEKI, there is lodging available right now in
your timeframe. John Muir Lodge at Grant Village has lots of
openings. If you're willing to try a rustic cabin, there are some
spots at the Grant Grove cabins.

And both Yosemite and SEKI are prime bear areas. Bears break into
cars there, so the recommendation is to remove all food from cars when
it's dark and to store food indoors or in bear boxes.
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"SMS" wrote in message
Alohacyberian wrote:
Not to mention, Tioga Pass is sometimes closed. KM

Wow, we have a lot of people unfamiliar with Yosemite now giving advice!

In the last 25 years, Tioga Pass Road hasn't been open by the first day of
summer only twice, and even then it's only been the first 10 days of
summer before it opened.

LOL! Oh, so Tioga Pass has only been closed a few times for 10 days -
therefore, it wasn't really closed and negates my statement that Tioga Pass
is sometimes closed? Dunno what you're drinkin' or smokin', but, I don't
want any. KM