typical cost of Alaska cruises?

Old May 13th, 2009, 04:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
John Smith[_6_]

Default typical cost of Alaska cruises?

Obviously, 'typical' was a poor choice of words on my part.

Even so, several of you have suggested that the cruise that I was
looking at seems expensive. The cruise company mentioned something to
my wife about 'discounts', although that probably means a sales pitch,
which I'd rather not engage in unless I'm fairly certain that I want to
use that cruise line.

Dolphin Charters seems intriguing! I'll take a look at them.

I very much appreciate the responses! You've all been very helpful.

"mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH wrote:
PeterL wrote:

Again there is no "typical". This year there are lots of discounts.
$2349 for a 5 days cruise seems awfully high to me. I just booked one
for $450 for 7 days.

PeterL wrote:
On May 12, 7:30 am, John Smith wrote:
I've just started shipping for an Alaska cruise, and one of the
cruises
that looks attractive is a $2349/person for a 5-day/4-night
cruise. The
ship is the Spirit of Discovery and the cruise company is Cruise West.
I'm looking for a smallish cruise ship such as this 84-passenger ship.

There is no "typical". How about $4400 a week? I went
with these people, three times: www.dolphincharters.com;
note that they truly are all-inclusive. (and not 84
passengers ... 8). Then there is the very non-inclusive $450 a week
and 2000 passengers. Take your choice.

Doug McDonald

Old May 13th, 2009, 05:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

John Smith wrote:
Peter -

I apologize for being vague.

Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.alaskacruises.com/cruises... gID=108339824

The price I quoted was for the least expensive cabins. I plan to take
the trip in July or August.

Does it seem like a good price? Typical? High? Low?

Those kind of cruises don't heavily discount like the big cruise lines
do. Nowadays you can do a 7 day Alaska cruise on a megaship for under
$500. Of course if you drink a lot, or buy their ridiculously priced
shore excursions, or buy their fake artwork, that cost rises quickly.

Note that if you buy the cruise you referred to through a broker such as
Vacationstogo.com, you'll save a couple of hundred dollars, but
nothing like the 70% discounts off the fake MSRP that you'll get on the
big ships. Interesting that the Spirit of Discovery 3 day cruises are
much cheaper per day than the 4 day cruises.

As someone else mentioned, check out the Alaska Marine Highway System.

I was flying to Fort Lauderdale in February and talking to the lady next
to me who was going on a last minute, 7 day Caribbean cruise out of Port
Everglades for which she was paying $199. You can barely get two nights
at a schlocky hotel in south Florida in February for $199.
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
John Smith[_6_]

Keith -

Wow, I was not aware of the Alaska Marine Highway System. That sounds
like a great way to go.

Do you have any idea whether it will be hard to reserve a berth?

Thanks to all of your for your advice!

Keith Willshaw wrote:
"John Smith" wrote in message
Peter -

I apologize for being vague.

Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.alaskacruises.com/cruises... gID=108339824

The price I quoted was for the least expensive cabins. I plan to take the
trip in July or August.

Does it seem like a good price? Typical? High? Low?

Thanks.

Sounds like a lot of money to me. When I travelled that route I used
the ferries of the Alaska Marine Highway System and even with a
cabin with porthole and my car in the hold paid less than 20%
of that.

The AMHS also allows you to get off and spend a couple of days
in the more intesting ports as well as explore the interior.

Keith

Old May 15th, 2009, 01:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
John Smith[_6_]

Default typical cost of Alaska cruises?$299-$399 due to lack of customers

I will take a look at Marlin. Thanks!

DeoVindice wrote:
Marlin travel have such available for $299 to $399 Canadian, on their last
minute sales

Suggest you conyact them, via website, and not get swindled.

On Tue, 12 May 2009 09:17:50 -0700 (PDT), PeterL wrote:

On May 12, 7:30 am, John Smith wrote:
I've just started shipping for an Alaska cruise, and one of the cruises
that looks attractive is a $2349/person for a 5-day/4-night cruise. The
ship is the Spirit of Discovery and the cruise company is Cruise West.

I'm looking for a smallish cruise ship such as this 84-passenger ship.

Does this price seem typical for a smallish ship and this sort of cruise?

Thanks.

We are going on a Princess cruise on May 30. $450 per person for 7
days.

I don't know what a "typical" price is for anything. It depends on a
lot of factors, including time of year, cabin location, special
pricing, etc.

Old May 15th, 2009, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

"John Smith" wrote in message
.. .
Keith -

Wow, I was not aware of the Alaska Marine Highway System. That sounds
like a great way to go.

Do you have any idea whether it will be hard to reserve a berth?

Thanks to all of your for your advice!

You can check availability on line , I suspect availability could be tight
in July and August

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml

I just did a quick check on the Prince Rupert to Skagway route outbound 25
July
return 31st and there were two berth outside cabins available but deluxe
cabins
with sitting rooom and cheap inside cabins were sold out

Keith

Old May 15th, 2009, 10:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article ,
Keith Willshaw wrote:
"John Smith" wrote in message
. ..
Alaska Marine Highway System.
Do you have any idea whether it will be hard to reserve a berth?

You can check availability on line , I suspect availability could be tight
in July and August

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml

cabins available
cabins were sold out

For those with time and equipment flexibility,
the no show rate hovers just below 10%.
Competition in high season like Jul and Aug is fierce.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

Old June 13th, 2009, 02:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
nada

On Wed, 13 May 2009 08:41:01 -0700 in rec.travel.usa-canada, John
Smith wrote:

Even so, several of you have suggested that the cruise that I was
looking at seems expensive. The cruise company mentioned something to
my wife about 'discounts', although that probably means a sales pitch,
which I'd rather not engage in unless I'm fairly certain that I want to
use that cruise line.

Cruise West is offering discounts this year because their sales
are down from past years. They charge more because they don't
carry 2000+ passengers and go to areas where the big ships don't
go.

If you want to see gift shops and cruise line shilled
"attractions" take one of the cheap cabins on the giganta cruise
ships. If you want have a better chance of seeing the real
Alaska and seeing wildlife instead of giftshops and spending your
time being herded onto busses with all the other sheeple, spend
more and take Cruise West.

Or even better, take a trips on the Alaska ferry system, the
Alaska Marine Highway, and get off in each town and spend a few
days instead of being bussed around to "attractions" designed to
separate you from your money.