SF tours and shuttle info needed

Old July 30th, 2009, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ken Blake

Default SF tours and shuttle info needed

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 12:23:41 -0700, SMS
wrote:

Ken Blake wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 03:51:05 GMT, (Geoff Rait) wrote:

In article
,
msabatini2001 wrote:

3. Information about airport shuttle service. Is SuperShuttle
reliable?
Yes, but for 4 people it'll cost you more than a taxi, which in addition
will be much faster as you'll go straight to your own hotel.

My wife and I will be going to SF in October, and have a similar
question about how to get from the airport to our hotel near Union
Square (Vintage Court). About how much would a taxi cost? How much
would the two rides on the SuperShuttle cost? Where would it drop us
off? Is there any other shuttle service we should consider?

If the taxi isn't too much more expensive than two shuttle rides, we'd
prefer the taxi.

The taxi is about $40 plus tip. Super Shuttle will be $17/person plus
tip. So the savings aren't worth it.

For two people, I'd take BART ($8.10 per person), assuming you don't
have a lot of luggage, and don't mind walking six blocks. Super Shuttle
can take a very long time as they drive around dropping people at
various places in San Francisco.

Be careful about other shuttle services, as the quality of their
vehicles can leave something to be desired.

Thanks for the info. I think, based on what you say, we'll probably
take a taxi.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ken Blake

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 12:16:25 -0700, SMS
wrote:

Ken Blake wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 07:46:58 -0700, SMS

We (2 adults + 2 children) will be in SF in August. I am looking for
some suggestions
1. How does the Union Sq Hilton look? The online reviews look decent.
Be sure to check "http://quikbook.com" and "http://venere.com" for
hotels. I used them in NYC and D.C. respectively, and was able to get
much lower rates than the hotels' own web sites. For most hotels they
don't require pre-payment.

Consider some of the boutique hotels as well.

Also the Grant Plaza in Chinatown. Definitely not a Hilton in terms of
decor or amenities, but a great location at a low price for a rather
small room.

I recommend using the name your own price feature of Priceline.com.
You can often get very good prices with it.

The problem with Priceline is that you can't specify that you require
two beds. For families this is an issue.

Understood. I don't claim that it's right for everyone, and in some
cities, the areas you have to choose from are so large that they
include some places I'd like to be in, and some I don't want to be in.
But for me, it worked well in SF.

Old July 30th, 2009, 09:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Five hours in San Francisco :
http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/2.../01/whirlwind/

Old August 6th, 2009, 02:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article ,
SMS wrote:
wrote:
We (2 adults + 2 children) will be in SF in August.

2. Are city tours available nearby? I am looking for tours around the
city and surrounding areas. Any particular tour companies?

San Francisco Ducks looks interesting. "http://www.bayquackers.com/".

2 firms now do DUKW tours. Take Bay Quakers. You get to drive the duck
while in the water. They also hand out duck calls.

I took the other firm's Seattle tour and you don't get to drive (steer).
You have to pay for your duck call.

Or at least check.

For a ride on the bay, forget about the ridiculously priced bay tours,
and go down to the ferry building and take the Larkspur ferry. When you
get to Larkspur, go eat at the Marin Brewing Company (across the
pedestrian bridge from the ferry terminal). Then go back. Much more
enjoyable than the tourist traps in Sausalito or Tiburon.

The fire engine tour is nice if you like fire engines.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).