Immigration patrols on domestic Amtrak

Old July 15th, 2007, 08:18 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Immigration patrols on domestic Amtrak

On Jul 15, 7:35 am, "Adam H. Kerman" wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure it's just like the Soviet Union was, where I'll bet you
never traveled by train either.

So how much you wanna bet? I've been riding trains in that part
of the world going as far back as 1979.

In my experience they would do ID checks to make sure
foreigners paid a huge markup on fares.

Old July 15th, 2007, 08:49 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Stephen Sprunk

""Király"" wrote in message
In rec.travel.usa-canada Whitelightning
wrote:
Once west of the great lakes the border between Canada and the USA is
damn near imposable to secure unless we put troops on the border spaced
every 100 yards, would to be every 25 yards in some places unless we
started clear cutting vegetation.

It is already clear cut, 20 feet wide.

It is? I've crossed the US-Canadian border a dozen times in the last few
years, and I've never been able to figure out exactly where it is because
it's just a bunch of trees right up to the road. I figure it's somewhere
between the respective countries' checkpoints, but they're a quarter mile or
so a part in places. No clearcutting or even signs to tell you where the
actual border is. Anyone who cared could easily just walk around the
checkpoints and never be noticed.

What really jerks my chain is that folks on the US side demanded to see my
passport to allow me to _leave_ the US. They were far more interested in me
than the Canadians, who just waved me through without even opening the
booth's window.

K5SSS --Isaac Asimov

Old July 15th, 2007, 10:17 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2007-07-15 15:49:11 -0400, "Stephen Sprunk" said:

What really jerks my chain is that folks on the US side demanded to see
my passport to allow me to _leave_ the US. They were far more
interested in me than the Canadians, who just waved me through without
even opening the booth's window.

What do you mean? We cross the border frequently. Going from the US to
Canada, we don't even go through a US checkpoint. How do you get sent
through one?

And Canada is not nearly that bored by us. We always get stopped and
asked where we're going, how long we're going to be in Canada and
whether we're bringing anything that might interest them.

Old July 15th, 2007, 10:45 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message Fred Ellis
wrote:

You must not have travel on any of the interstate highways or US Routes
in the southwest part of the country. The Border Patrol has numerous
elaborate check points that are manned 24/7. If you are east bound on
IH 10 from El Paso, there is permanent check point station near Sierra
Blanca that you have to go through. I have been through at least a half
dozen or more of these permanent facilities while traveling through the
southwestern part of the country.

And if the driver presents valid identification and everyone else
refuses, then what?

--
If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with, "Quit while you're ahead"?
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:45 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:26:40 +0100, Martin D. Pay
wrote:

Amtrak official policy (as stated on their website) is that
government-issued photo ID is required to purchase a ticket.

Does that mean a US-government issued ID? If so, the tentative
plans my wife and I are making to use Amtrack for internal travel
(rather than fly internally within the USA) on our next visit
won't be possible...

I bought my ticket over the web on the AMTRAK site and
showed my Australian passport when I picked it up at Penn
Station. I also picked up my wife's ticket and the clerk
never even saw her, let alone her passport.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/
latest: Mossman Gorge in the Daintree Rainforest
Old July 16th, 2007, 12:11 AM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Stephen Sprunk

On 2007-07-15 15:49:11 -0400, "Stephen Sprunk" said:
What really jerks my chain is that folks on the US side
demanded to see my passport to allow me to _leave_ the
US. They were far more interested in me than the
Canadians, who just waved me through without even
opening the booth's window.

What do you mean? We cross the border frequently. Going
from the US to Canada, we don't even go through a US
checkpoint. How do you get sent through one?

It was just a couple guys in uniform standing in the northbound lanes,
across from the checkpoint heading south. I asked why they were there, and
they said it was a "courtesy" to make sure people had the papers they'd need
to come back. They weren't particularly courteous, though, and they grilled
me about why I was going to Canada.

My bet is they were really looking for fugitives trying to leave the
country, and it's a lot easier to catch them on the US side than to hope the
Canadians will nab them and then have to deal with extradition. Since I've
only crossed at that location once, I don't know if it's a regular thing
there or only on special occasions.

And Canada is not nearly that bored by us. We always get
stopped and asked where we're going, how long we're going
to be in Canada and whether we're bringing anything that
might interest them.

Drive across alone in business attire; apparently terrorists and smugglers
dress casually and/or bring their families with them ;-) They're a bit
better in airports, but after they flip through my passport and see prior
Canadian entries, they just stamp it again, ask a couple questions, and tell
me to enjoy my stay.

This is the same idiocy that exempts "elite" members of frequent flyer
programs from the TSA's "random" screening. They only focus on the folks
that travel/cross infrequently.

K5SSS --Isaac Asimov