Catalina Island in Winter

Old January 27th, 2009, 01:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Catalina Island in Winter

Can someone who has been to Catalina Island off California comment on how is
the climate during Winter? I gather it has a cool Mediterranean climate
during summer and during Winter I am expecting it might be too chilly to
really enjoy. Is the colder climate made worse by winds during Winter?
The Pacific waters around there are probably pretty cool. During a
typical February, how many days of the week would be sunny?

Old January 27th, 2009, 03:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:43:27 -0800, W wrote:
Can someone who has been to Catalina Island off California comment on how is
the climate during Winter? I gather it has a cool Mediterranean climate
during summer and during Winter I am expecting it might be too chilly to
really enjoy. Is the colder climate made worse by winds during Winter?
The Pacific waters around there are probably pretty cool. During a
typical February, how many days of the week would be sunny?

anybody know how to open a web browser, get it to go to google, and how
to create a clever search string like "Catalina Island climate"
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"W" wrote in message
Can someone who has been to Catalina Island off California comment on how
is the climate during Winter? I gather it has a cool Mediterranean
climate during summer and during Winter I am expecting it might be too
chilly to really enjoy. Is the colder climate made worse by winds
during Winter? The Pacific waters around there are probably pretty cool.
During a typical February, how many days of the week would be sunny?

The waters around Catalina Island are cold in the summertime and colder in
the wintertime. During a typical February in Southern California it is
likely that all 7 of the days of the week will probably be sunny. You
didn't say where you now live, so it's tough to say whether you will find
the winter weather cold. If you're from Chicago, Detroit or Boston, you'll
be warm although the weather is cool at night. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website view over 3,600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI, and

Old January 27th, 2009, 03:52 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

wrote:
Can someone who has been to Catalina Island off California comment on how
is
the climate during Winter? I gather it has a cool Mediterranean climate
during summer and during Winter I am expecting it might be too chilly to
really enjoy. Is the colder climate made worse by winds during Winter?
The Pacific waters around there are probably pretty cool. During a
typical February, how many days of the week would be sunny?

anybody know how to open a web browser, get it to go to google, and how
to create a clever search string like "Catalina Island climate"

The OP would have been better to ask for OPINIONS as to travelling there
during winter. That's something that search
engines aren't quite so proficient at.

Old January 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman[_2_]

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Alohacyberian wrote in article
:

"W" wrote in message
Can someone who has been to Catalina Island off California comment on how
is the climate during Winter? I gather it has a cool Mediterranean
climate during summer and during Winter I am expecting it might be too
chilly to really enjoy. Is the colder climate made worse by winds
during Winter? The Pacific waters around there are probably pretty cool.
During a typical February, how many days of the week would be sunny?

The waters around Catalina Island are cold in the summertime and colder in
the wintertime. During a typical February in Southern California it is
likely that all 7 of the days of the week will probably be sunny. You
didn't say where you now live, so it's tough to say whether you will find
the winter weather cold. If you're from Chicago, Detroit or Boston, you'll
be warm although the weather is cool at night. KM

I don't know what constitutes "cold" or "colder" for ocean water
temperatures, but about one hour ago (1750 GMT 27 January 09) water
temperature in the vicinity of Catalina was 57.9 F, reported from a
moored buoy monitored at
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pag...station=46025; air
temperature was 56.8 F. Water temperature has varied less than one
degree F. in the last 24 hours. FWIW this morning we had a fairly
heavy frost inland roughly 30 miles from Catalina.

A number of Google hits related to channel swimming mention water
temperatures in the mid- to upper 60s, or roughly comfortable room
temperature.

January and February are typically the rainiest part of the winter in
this area.

Google probably has weather and almanac maps for the area; I didn't
check.
--
Don Kirkman

Old January 28th, 2009, 01:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ad absurdum per aspera

during Winter I am expecting it might be too chilly

They usually do get their rain in the winter, but the five- and ten-
day outlooks from the date of this posting are more or less a
recruiting poster for southern California. The chance of some moody
weather is part of the California coastal experience too, and not
necessarily a bad one -- and you'll note from the seasonal data that
it is very unlikely to get downright cold.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...Select=WEATHER
(see also the historical data down the page and toward the left)

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=usca9407

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recre...yLink_outdoors

Additional fun stuff:
http://www.marinasailing.com/catalina.html
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Go...alinaheart.htm

Enjoy your trip,
--Joe
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:49 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"W" wrote in message
Can someone who has been to Catalina Island off California comment on how
is the climate during Winter? I gather it has a cool Mediterranean
climate during summer and during Winter I am expecting it might be too
chilly to really enjoy. Is the colder climate made worse by winds
during Winter? The Pacific waters around there are probably pretty cool.
During a typical February, how many days of the week would be sunny?

Some of the nicest weather is in winter. The fog banks stay offshore, as no
high inland temps to pull the fog in. You may get rain, but Catalina is
pretty much a desert island. Catalina is really only good for a couple day
visit, unless you are into diving and kayaking. I never figured out how the
people who spent all summer there kept from going stir crazy.

Old January 28th, 2009, 08:28 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"W" wrote in message
Can someone who has been to Catalina Island off California comment on how
is the climate during Winter? I gather it has a cool Mediterranean
climate during summer and during Winter I am expecting it might be too
chilly to really enjoy. Is the colder climate made worse by winds
during Winter? The Pacific waters around there are probably pretty cool.
During a typical February, how many days of the week would be sunny?

Some of the nicest weather is in winter. The fog banks stay offshore, as
no high inland temps to pull the fog in. You may get rain, but Catalina
is pretty much a desert island. Catalina is really only good for a couple
day visit, unless you are into diving and kayaking. I never figured out
how the people who spent all summer there kept from going stir crazy.

SOME people don't have to be running around like a bunch of crack monkeys in
order to enjoy their summer.

Old January 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"W" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I'd hazard a guess that if you ever swam in waters 56.8 degrees, you'd
readily agree it's colder than comfortable (if you surfed you'd want a
wetsuit) as are waters in the 60s, common Catalina summertime temps. Cool
ocean water would be in the 70s, ala Hawaii, (I'd guess California oceans
never or rarely get that warm) and the 80s ala Gulf of Mexico would be
considered warm ocean water, I'd think. KM

Old January 29th, 2009, 01:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"W" wrote in message
[...]

You are a wuss! I've swam in 45F water in Lake Chelan, Washington. No
problem.