Why do people live in Florida?

Old September 5th, 2004, 02:49 AM
eüphemism

"Pete Platis" wrote in message
ink.net...

puzzled wrote in message
A massive hurricane seems to hit Florida every few years. I really

don't
understand why people continue to live there. Don't they get tired of

having
to evacuate every summer, and having their houses destroyed? Someone

explain
this to me.

Well , hurricanes are one reason but Florida has a host of others

stay away:

1. Cockroaches ......LOTS OF EM ( also known as "palmetto bugs" in order

water down the icky factor, don't be fooled though, they are just larger
roaches......that fly........very well) and a plethora of other pests that
you WILL come into contact with on a personal level whether you want to or
not..........this includes scorpions and brown recluse spiders btw, both
poisonous.

2. Staggering humidity ( well not all of florida but anything south of the
tropical line is brutal)

3. Job market isn't so great.

4. There ain't no mountains, not a one!. There has basically GOT to be
something wrong with that. In fact , the highest point in the state is

only
a measely *345* feet high!.

5. Swamps........hell most of the state is a swamp.

6. Highest percentage of over 80 year olds behind the wheel of a
car.......THAT can't be a good thing.

7. Alot of white trash, yeah I know that can be found in alot of states.
Just seems worse in Florida for some reason though.

8. Basically Florida has one or 2 seasons, depending on where you live in
the state. For a 4 season kinda guy like me , not a good thing.

9. Alligators coming into contact with people in or near their homes,
killing or maiming them and/or their pets. It's not a good thing. Been
happening more frequently too.

10. FLORIDIANS ARE VOTING-MACHINE CHALLENGED.

In case any of you are wondering, yeah I spent a couple of years in that
awful state.

Enjoy the remainder of your evening.

Were your years in Florida all spent living under an overpass in a moving
box that was infested with Palmetto bugs?

You forgot to mention the fire ants, the tourists and the 6 month anxiety
attack called "Hurricane Season" that results from the shrill and
unrelenting stream of warnings from the media. None of it does any good
either...

Old September 5th, 2004, 04:01 AM
jcoulter

"Terry Gowan" t wrote
in ink.net:

Hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and ice storms. They're all useful
in cleaing out the gene pool. The people I least understand are the
Californians that re-build their homes on the side of a mud-sliding
mountain.

Terry Gowan

What do you call the purchase of a home on the east side of a coastal
highway? An investment in future ocean front property.

Old September 5th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Huricane Crock

puzzled Don't they get tired of having to evacuate every summer, and
having their houses destroyed?

The Floridians, whose Public Schools rank #45-49 out of 50 states in every
survey of schools conducted since 1845, keep hoping that the corrupt
scumbags who run the County and State governments will finally create
Building Codes that are Hurricane Proof. So they keep coming back for more,
and their houses keep getting blown away.

Old September 5th, 2004, 05:44 AM
eüphemism

"Terry Gowan" t wrote in
message ink.net...
"eüphemism" wrote in message

Hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and ice storms. They're all useful in
cleaing out the gene pool. The people I least understand are the
Californians that re-build their homes on the side of a mud-sliding
mountain.

Terry Gowan

It's not so much where you live but how...

I have as much sympathy as anyone can for people who are hit by disaster...
but when the reporters ran out in the aftermath of Charlie and managed to
find some old retired carny who seemed to have just barely survived Mr.
Toad's Wild Ride as the storm had un-manufactured his double-wide, and this
fellow immediately launched into a tirade against the forecasts that had
called for the storm to have gone ashore slightly north of his last known
position... well, my veins nearly popped.

These people might try reading about the hurricane that hit Connecticut
around '35. The weather forecast predicted a possibility of rain, with
mostly cloudy skies. The storm that hit had been tracked as it passed
Florida, but there was a problem with the "hand off" and the folks in the NE
region had no inkling when that bitch suddenly came roaring ashore. Imagine
the Roy Scheider and the shark chumming scene in Jaws... that's the
reaction.

Whining about a 120 mile "error" in the tracking of a storm that may be
hundreds of miles in diameter has this guy laying pipe for an entirely new
wing in the structure of stupidity. Then again, I never did understand why
the State of Florida even allows mobile homes to be used as domiciles, and
the people who live in those damned things are often the most defiant,
****-you-I-ain't-goin'-to-no-damn-shelter grits ever conceived. They all
have pets and the shelters don't allow 'em, so you know how this story is
going to end.

Nowadays we get weeks of warning, extremely accurate path forecasting, and
two days before the storm is to hit we still have angry people screaming at
terrified Home Depot employees because there's no more plywood anywhere in
the state, let alone in their store.

If the predicted path is a degree off or the storm slows or weakens, then
the forecasters get abused for overreacting or wasting people's time. This
is when people should be emerging from beneath the rubble and applauding in
a show of thanks for all the warnings they've so diligently ignored.

If you're going to build that California house atop a slump-happy cliff, or
especially at the BASE of said mud-slide, at least have the decency to
refrain from ranting blame into some reporter's microphone if you happen to
survive the big storm... Acceptable comments would be along the lines of "I
am a really lucky idiot" or "Don't I just look so stupid?"

Old September 5th, 2004, 05:59 AM
grisgrisfunk

"ScanMan" wrote in message
Amen to that. I don't care where you live, you have hazards. Umm, that's

all
part of the wonderful world we live in.

What's that old song, Your Blues Ain't Like Mine...

A Happy Floridian

I agree... Connecticut is a hazardous state to drive in, and that's an
everyday occurence. People here only know one speed, FAST. Crazy reckless
drivers. Once in awhile a person from Massachusetts will cross the border,
they're even worse. We call them Massholes!

So I agree, every state has it's hazards. I deal with them everyday on the
road.

Mike R.

Old September 5th, 2004, 06:00 AM
eüphemism

"Huricane Crock" wrote in message
ink.net...
puzzled Don't they get tired of having to evacuate every summer, and
having their houses destroyed?

The Floridians, whose Public Schools rank #45-49 out of 50 states in every
survey of schools conducted since 1845, keep hoping that the corrupt
scumbags who run the County and State governments will finally create
Building Codes that are Hurricane Proof. So they keep coming back for

more,
and their houses keep getting blown away.

I'm sensing a lot of anger there, Ted. If you have completed your
manifesto, it's time to get out to the cabin and start licking envelopes.

Old September 5th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Pete Platis

puzzled wrote in message
[...]

LOL!, actually I spent 6 months on the outskirts of Miami in what you
guys call "Redlands". My uncle is a rich S.O.B. and owns mainly leechie-nut
plantations ( I know it sounds strange but there is HUGE bucks in it) down
there. He's got a friggin ultra modern huge mansion about 1 1/2 clicks
from where his plantations start. Everytime I would turn on the light in the
kitchen the damn palmettos would scatter. It wasn't a matter of filth or
squalor, *everyone* had em in their homes there. Nothing you could do about
it but get used to it. I used to see them flying around outside sometimes
too, disgusting bugs. That's got to be one of the most physically beautiful
and quiet regions of Fla. though. Then I spent 2 years up in Merrit Island.
Not as many of them there but they were still a nuisance. Merit island
sucks btw.