5 days in Tokyo?

Old January 7th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Melonboy

Default 5 days in Tokyo?

I'll be in Japan for 5 days at the end of this month, as a quick stop-
over on the way to Thailand and NZ. I was thinking about going to
Kyoto for a few nights but was wondering if the cost of the 7 day rail
pass really justifies this. I don't mind staying in Tokyo for the
whole 5 days but would like to see some temples etc, as well as the
bright lights of Tokyo. Can anyone give me any advice on a good way to
spend these 5 days there?

Thanks,

Noel
Old January 7th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Mike987

Kyoto is wonderful, and really is worth the cost.

However, for an almost-as-good traditional temple experience, you
could visit Kamakura (about 1 hours by train from Tokyo), or Nikko
(about 2 hours by train). Kamakura is more subdued, with simpler
temples; those at Nikko are brightly painted. Both can be visited as
a day trip, though for Nikko, you might want to make it an overnight
trip, and take the time to visit Lake Chuzenji and the Kegon waterfall
(a short trip outside Nikko).

Old January 7th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Gerry

In article , Mike987
wrote:

Kyoto is wonderful, and really is worth the cost.

However, for an almost-as-good traditional temple experience, you
could visit Kamakura (about 1 hours by train from Tokyo), or Nikko
(about 2 hours by train). Kamakura is more subdued, with simpler
temples; those at Nikko are brightly painted. Both can be visited as
a day trip, though for Nikko, you might want to make it an overnight
trip, and take the time to visit Lake Chuzenji and the Kegon waterfall
(a short trip outside Nikko).

That would certainly cut down on the cost to Kyoto (or the rail pass),
the time going there, checking in, checking out. If you have only 5
days I'd stick in Tokyo using it as a base for day trips.

--
First they gerrymander us into one-party fiefs. Then they tell us they only
care about the swing districts. Then they complain about voter apathy.
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Iceman

(Melonboy) wrote in message . com...
I'll be in Japan for 5 days at the end of this month, as a quick stop-
over on the way to Thailand and NZ. I was thinking about going to
Kyoto for a few nights but was wondering if the cost of the 7 day rail
pass really justifies this. I don't mind staying in Tokyo for the
whole 5 days but would like to see some temples etc, as well as the
bright lights of Tokyo. Can anyone give me any advice on a good way to
spend these 5 days there?

5 days isn't enough time for Tokyo and Kyoto; pick one or the other.
If you spend the time in Tokyo, you could spend 1 day in nearby
Kamakura (a short train ride away), and you'll see the more
traditional side of Japan (temples, shrines, craft shops).

Tokyo must sees:

Senso-ji Temple
Meiji-Jingu Shrine
East Shinjuku at night - literally a neon jungle
Odaiba (an artificial island full of futuristic buildings)

Depending on your interests:

Edo Tokyo Museum (history of Tokyo)
Tokyo National Museum (Japanese and other Asian art)
Tsukiji Fish Market
Sugamo Sunday Market (like going 50 years back in time)
Akihabara (the electronics district)
Yasukuni Shrine and the military museum (for WWII buffs)
Japanese department stores (to witness Japanese shopping frenzy -
especially the food floors)
Yoyogi Park on a weekend afternoon (great for people watching)
Shibuya's 109 building and Harajuku's Take****a-dori to see Japan's
youth subcultures
Japanese gardens
Japanese bathhouses
Tea ceremony
Sumo wrestling
Kabuki theater
Karaoke
Golden gai at night (a district of 200 tiny bars left over from the
late 1940's)
The rooftop bar at the Park Hyatt for great night views of the city
(featured in the recent movie "Lost in Translation")
Roppongi for nightlife (thurs-sat only, and don't go before midnight)
Old January 8th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Melonboy

Thanks so much to everyone for the valuable advice. I'll stay for the
5 days in Tokyo and do a day trip somewhere. Kyoto will have to wait
until next time!

Thanks again!