Cape Liberty Cruise Port Opens!

Old May 14th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Cape Liberty Cruise Port Opens!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Royal Caribbean and thought it
would be of interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings,
they are available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Officially Opens Cape Liberty Cruise Port
in New Jersey

Bayonne Facility to Serve as Seasonal Homeport to Two Ships

BAYONNE, N.J., May 14
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. officially opened the country's newest
cruise port today -- Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne, N.J. Cape
Liberty will serve as a seasonal homeport to two of the company's
ships, including the 3,114-passenger Voyager of the Seas, which
departs on May 16 for its first cruise from the Northeast.

The ceremony included remarks from New Jersey Governor James E.
McGreevey and other state and local dignitaries, including Congressman
Robert Menendez, New Jersey Department of Commerce and Economic Growth
Commissioner William D. Watley, Bayonne Mayor Joseph V. Doria, Jr.,
and Bayonne Local Redevelopment Authority Chairman Howard Fitch.

Royal Caribbean Chairman and CEO Richard Fain signaled the official
opening of the port by ringing an authentic ship bell from one of the
famed World War II Victory ships, which sailed from Bayonne's Military
Ocean Terminal.

"This is a momentous occasion for our company, and we could not have
asked for better partners in making Cape Liberty Cruise Port a reality
than the state of New Jersey and the City of Bayonne," Fain said. "We
are proud to be part of the revitalization program for the Bayonne
waterfront, and we are pleased to offer our guests a convenient new
departure point, which is attractive to both drive-market guests and
those arriving by air."

"The City of Bayonne is proud to welcome Royal Caribbean," Mayor Doria
said. "Today, we are honored to be the first New Jersey community in
40 years to serve as a homeport for passenger cruise ships. We look
forward to this exciting new chapter in the history of Bayonne."

Cape Liberty Cruise Port is located at the northeast corner of the
former Bayonne Military Ocean Terminal, now renamed The Peninsula at
Bayonne Harbor, a 430-acre, man-made peninsula that extends into New
York Harbor. Future plans for the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor call for
a vibrant mixed-use waterfront development comprised of residential,
light industrial and office space, film studios, a riverwalk and
extensive recreational and park areas.

The new cruise port offers guests outstanding views of the harbor, the
Verrazano Narrows Bridge, the Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan.
Royal Caribbean has renovated existing structures for use in the
immediate future. Long-term plans call for construction of a new
cruise terminal and supporting facilities.

Royal Caribbean will base two ships at the new port from May through
October 2004. Voyager of the Seas offers an alternating schedule of
five- night Canada and nine-night Caribbean cruises. Empress of the
Seas offers alternating six-night and eight-night Bermuda itineraries.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that
operates Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises, with a
combined total of 29 ships in service and one under construction. The
company also offers unique cruisetour vacations in Alaska, Canada and
Europe. Additional information can be found by contacting your travel
professional.
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Thomas Smith

NPR made a little joke about it this morning about all the exotic places
they sail now, such as Jamaica, the Virgin Islands, the Bahamas, and now New
Jersey. They even mentioned that Royal Caribbean doesn't call it Bayonne,
New Jersey, but rather Port Liberty.

Tom Smith

news

Old May 16th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Ray Goldenberg

On Sun, 16 May 2004 05:40:41 GMT, "Thomas Smith"
-NO-SPAM wrote:

They even mentioned that Royal Caribbean doesn't call it Bayonne,
New Jersey, but rather Port Liberty.

Hi Tom,

I see NPR still does not get their facts straight. It is CAPE
Liberty. ;=)

Old May 16th, 2004, 11:34 AM
MJDEEG

You're so "right," Ray.
Happy Cruisin'
Mark
Home Port:
Monmouth County,NJ.
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Tom & Linda

"Thomas Smith" -NO-SPAM wrote in message
NPR made a little joke about it this morning about all the exotic places
they sail now, such as Jamaica, the Virgin Islands, the Bahamas, and now

New
Jersey. They even mentioned that Royal Caribbean doesn't call it Bayonne,
New Jersey, but rather Port Liberty.

And they say Labadee is on Hispanola, not on Haiti.

Though in fairness... there are places in New York that are referred to by
specific names like South Street Seaport. And look at Ft. Lauderdale. It's
port is called Port Everglades.

The area around Jersey City and Bayonne has the Statue of Liberty a few
hundred feet off shore, plus it has Liberty State Park and the Liberty
Science Center. So the term Liberty does have relevance there. They even
added the name to the airport.

--Tom

Old May 16th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Candy

Actually, Hispaniola is the name of the island. The Dominican Republic
occupies two thirds of the island of Hispaniola and the other third is
Haiti.

Labadee sits the north coast of Hispaniola, surrounded by beautiful
mountain slopes and exotic foliage.

Candy -- is really bored this morning (or is that borING?)

Old May 16th, 2004, 05:04 PM
BobG

so hows the parking @ this new port ??
any clue on cost, and how easy is ti to get to from the turnpike ??

thanks BobG

Old May 16th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Eileen Garland

$12/day and it sounds easy to get to from the turnpike. I'll let you
know in a month.

Eileen

Old May 17th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Paul Krause

don't bother. the security booth is 2.8 miles from the port and you
don't get in. We went on Friday.

the guard was nice enough to giove us directions to a place whew you
could view the ship on the penninsula but you have to look a distance
over a Chrysler auto port lot.

Paul

In article ,
(CupCaked) wrote:

(YJ2CUTE) wrote:

You would get off at exit 14A off of the Turnpike. Stay straight through the
toll onto Ave E. Take this down to about 30th street and turn left onto the
bridge to the port. Very simple.

I'm very tempted to take a ride down there this week and come back
with a full report. I'm curious, myself.

Karen

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)