New England In The Fall

Old August 31st, 2004, 09:14 PM
Raymond

Default New England In The Fall

Hi,

October this year we shall be spending a week in the New England area
to see the fall. We shall be going to the White Mountains, Green
Mountain Forest and other areas such as the coast line just above
Boston.

We might expect the areas to be crowded. The questions we have are :-

Will it be notably crowded on the roads, not something we are used to
in America?

Will it be difficult to find places to stay on an ad-hock basis?

Thanks in advance should anyone have any information.

Cheers, Raymond.

(Sussex England)

Old August 31st, 2004, 09:24 PM
PeterL

"Raymond" wrote in message
Hi,

October this year we shall be spending a week in the New England area
to see the fall. We shall be going to the White Mountains, Green
Mountain Forest and other areas such as the coast line just above
Boston.

We might expect the areas to be crowded. The questions we have are :-

Will it be notably crowded on the roads, not something we are used to
in America?

Yes there'll be lots of traffic, mainly tourists trying to see the fall
colors.

Will it be difficult to find places to stay on an ad-hock basis?

Correspondingly, yes it'll be difficult to find ad hoc housing.

Old August 31st, 2004, 10:49 PM
Jipsey

Raymond wrote:

Hi,

October this year we shall be spending a week in the New England area
to see the fall. We shall be going to the White Mountains, Green
Mountain Forest and other areas such as the coast line just above
Boston.

I hope you don't mean Revere Beach I'd recommend Glouster.

We might expect the areas to be crowded. The questions we have are :-
Will it be notably crowded on the roads, not something we are used to
in America?

Yes, but I don't think you'll encounter any gridlock.

Will it be difficult to find places to stay on an ad-hock basis?

I would advise booking well in advance. Like today.

I hope you have wonderful time in New England.

Old August 31st, 2004, 10:52 PM
Łą$„

"PeterL" wrote in message

"Raymond" wrote in message
Hi,

October this year we shall be spending a week in the New England area
to see the fall. We shall be going to the White Mountains, Green
Mountain Forest and other areas such as the coast line just above
Boston.

We might expect the areas to be crowded. The questions we have are :-

Will it be notably crowded on the roads, not something we are used to
in America?

Yes there'll be lots of traffic, mainly tourists trying to see the fall
colors.

Will it be difficult to find places to stay on an ad-hock basis?

Correspondingly, yes it'll be difficult to find ad hoc housing.

Thanks in advance should anyone have any information.

Cheers, Raymond.

(Sussex England)

It won't be that crowded, not bumper-to-bumper or anything like that.
Getting a hotel or motel room on a Friday or Saturday night might be a
little difficult after 8:00PM, but not impossible. Look out in October. If
the forests are full of color and a strong weather front comes through you
can expect to see lots of the foliage end up on the ground. Sometimes this
can happen overnight in some areas. Yes, this is one of the unspoken, dirty
secrets of the fall foliage season. My father was in Montpelier, Vermont
one October and saw some Japanese tourists taking pictures of leaves in the
gutter.

Old September 1st, 2004, 01:21 PM
MLD

End of October is iffy especially the further North you go. The roads are
fine--after Labor Day the traffic thins out considerably. Maybe heading
South on a late Sunday afternoon it might get busy but nothing like a summer
day. In my opinion, the foliage thing is greatly overblown--maybe because I
am right in the middle of it and just take it for granted. That's not to
say taking a vacation through NE is bad--this is great vacation country,
winter or summer. Of course, one must remember, eventually the leaves fall
down. The clean up is a big PIA especially since I am right next to a
wooded area and the wind always empties the trees in my back yard. Don't
come back with "leave them there"--they pile up so high that left over the
winter they'll kill the grass.
MLD

Old September 1st, 2004, 02:41 PM

The problem we found wasn't the leaf watchers (leaves are everywhere, so
they could find an appropriate place to pull over), it was the moose
watchers (who would pull over anytime they saw a moose, thought they saw a
moose or saw a group of cars already pulled over (believing they had seen
a moose)).

We did the ad hoc hotel thing, and almost wish we hadn't. Weekends are
busy, rooms can be hard to find, and there are plenty of .5 star motels
waiting for the unfortunate. If you have any idea what your itinerary is,
make reservations ahead of time. If not, weekdays are better and the
further north you go, the fewer the crowds, and motels.

Oh, and the moose are much more interesting then the leaves. :-)

Bob
Old September 1st, 2004, 05:51 PM
Raymond

HI,

Thanks for the input. We shall plan our route and book some places up
right away. Bought the plane tickets a while ago, still it will be fun

Thanks again

Raymond

Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:37 PM
Heather Morrison

"MLD" wrote in message news:j9jZc.870$3Q5.118@trndny06...
End of October is iffy especially the further North you go. The roads are
fine--after Labor Day the traffic thins out considerably. Maybe heading
South on a late Sunday afternoon it might get busy but nothing like a

summer
day. In my opinion, the foliage thing is greatly overblown--maybe because

am right in the middle of it and just take it for granted. That's not to
say taking a vacation through NE is bad--this is great vacation country,
winter or summer. Of course, one must remember, eventually the leaves fall
down. The clean up is a big PIA especially since I am right next to a
wooded area and the wind always empties the trees in my back yard. Don't
come back with "leave them there"--they pile up so high that left over the
winter they'll kill the grass.
MLD

I understand what you are saying somewhat. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada.
The "glories" of autumn arrive here too...especially in Cape Breton in the
Highlands and along the Margaree Valley.

Autumn is actually my favourite season here. I love the crisp air and the
glorious fall sunshine. I am headed to the White Mountains too this year. We
have to go to the states for another reason...Leominster, Mass.... and are
going to drive home by diverting through the mountains. We have been there
many times.

My partner is Danish, living most of the time in Denmark, the foliage change
fascinates him. He loves..as do I..the beautiful colour changes of the sugar
maples etc. He is also going to help me rake up my yard after the first big
blow that takes most of them down. This is when they are wet and heavy and
mucky to clean up. I left them one year..and yes..they ruined chunks of our
yard. Then again over the years we have used them for decorations and
created wonderful things with them. I actually painted my dining room a
lovely autumn orange colour specifically because it has HUGE windows that
look out onto a Maple grove and in fall the whole room and outdoors has the
most lovely warm glow.

The White Mountains are wonderful to visit anytime. So if people miss the
foliage (late october seems late for the leaves) there are plenty of
wonderful sites to see and things to do. This time we are going to hike the
flume gorge and some other less known trails. We have already booked our
cabins and hotels to assure we have that cabin with the fireplace nestled
amongst the trees.

I am still devasted from a distance about the loss of the "old man of the
mountain". I haven't been in Franconia since the loss and know it will be
difficult to see...or not see as it is.

Yup ..I empathize with your raking etc...but to those who don't experience
those glorious transformations of four separate seasons..the foliage "shows"
are spectacular when they get to actually see one. Nothing like a full set
of rolling hills alight with the splendour of Autumn leading down to a
meandering river ...waiting for the flash of silver as the salmon leap!

toodles

HeatherM

Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:42 PM
Heather Morrison

wrote in message
The problem we found wasn't the leaf watchers (leaves are everywhere, so
they could find an appropriate place to pull over), it was the moose
watchers (who would pull over anytime they saw a moose, thought they saw a
moose or saw a group of cars already pulled over (believing they had seen
a moose)).

We did the ad hoc hotel thing, and almost wish we hadn't. Weekends are
busy, rooms can be hard to find, and there are plenty of .5 star motels
waiting for the unfortunate. If you have any idea what your itinerary is,
make reservations ahead of time. If not, weekdays are better and the
further north you go, the fewer the crowds, and motels.

Oh, and the moose are much more interesting then the leaves. :-)

Bob

LOL..the moose...that always gets me...these large gangling misguided
attempts by mother nature that fascinate people! If you want to see moose
go to a bog or a lake and watch them as the graze through the wetland
plants. This is when they are in their element.

On the roads they are too much of a hazzard either by stopping motorists
blocking roads or by moose and car accidents. There is no way for a moose
and a car to connect without there being considerable damage to the car
atleast and usually to the demise of the Moose.

So people...a little trivia...haul out your Canadian Quarters and tell me
what is on the flip side of the Queen...Moose or Caribou? What is the
difference?

toodles

HeatherM....checking the barometer...