Buying a return ticket but not specifying a return date (within a year) from UK

Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:40 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default Buying a return ticket but not specifying a return date (within a year) from UK

Hi,

I want to fly from the UK to Australia at the end of the year.
Obviously, I would be selecting the date I fly out but would like to be
flexible on the date that I return.

I have heard that you can get a return ticket that does initially
require a return date. I am aware that you cant just stroll into the
airport and fly without notice but would imaging that you give a short
notice.

Does this type of flight exist or am I way ahead of my time and should
return to the real world :-) If so, do many flight operators offer it?
How does it work? Will it save me a substancial amount on buying my
flight 30 days prior to leaving?

Cheers

Burnsy

Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I want to fly from the UK to Australia at the end of the year.
Obviously, I would be selecting the date I fly out but would like to be
flexible on the date that I return.

I have heard that you can get a return ticket that does initially
require a return date. I am aware that you cant just stroll into the
airport and fly without notice but would imaging that you give a short
notice.

Does this type of flight exist or am I way ahead of my time and should
return to the real world :-) If so, do many flight operators offer it?
How does it work? Will it save me a substancial amount on buying my
flight 30 days prior to leaving?

Cheers

Burnsy

There are a huge number of ticket types from mnay different carriers, many
or most of which give you the flexibility thay tou need.

First question, is what else am I going tro need - accomodation, car rental,
etc? If there any of these, you may well find that a travel agent can sell
you a package holiday and you skip the bits you don't want.

If its just buying tickets, go to http://www.expedia.co.uk . They would also
carry packages as well, I would imagine.

Old March 4th, 2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Hello Burnsy

I have bought a ticket like that every year for the last 3 years but I was
leaving Australia, not travelling too it.

It cost me about aud $100 on top of the normal price for the ticket. The
return date is made up, I just tell them when I want to come back. I have
never travelled on the return date on the ticket and so far there has been
no cost to change the return date.

I imagine you could fly without any notice, so long as they weren't fully
booked.

Regards: Jim Sibbick

Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:29 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I want to fly from the UK to Australia at the end of the year.
Obviously, I would be selecting the date I fly out but would like to be
flexible on the date that I return.

I have heard that you can get a return ticket that does initially
require a return date. I am aware that you cant just stroll into the
airport and fly without notice but would imaging that you give a short
notice.

Does this type of flight exist or am I way ahead of my time and should
return to the real world :-) If so, do many flight operators offer it?
How does it work? Will it save me a substancial amount on buying my
flight 30 days prior to leaving?

Cheers

Burnsy

As far as i am aware all return tickets can be changed to any date with in a
year so long as there are seats on the day you want to return. The airline
will charge you for this some more then others.

--

www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australian, New Zealand, USA, UK, South African, Thailand Sim Cards.

Old March 24th, 2006, 12:07 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"www.poms.co.uk" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

This is not altogether true. The cheapest tickets are usually non-changeable
and non-refundable while others are changeable for a fee that can
vary from $50 to $500

You need to carefully pick the right ticket based on the assessment of
how likely a change is going to be, if you know the return date
will be changed its probably cheaper to get a more expensive
ticket up front as they often have lower change fees.

Keith

Old March 25th, 2006, 11:00 AM
KONS KONS is offline
Member