Car Hire Auckland Airport

Old February 18th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Dave Wheeler

Default Car Hire Auckland Airport

Hi there!

I arrive in Auckland Airport on 24th March and intend to hire a car.
Do I definitely need to book or do they always have cars at their
disposal (a small one, Ford Ka, for instance)? Does anyone know some
relevant websites? - I put keywords like ´Avis Auckland Airport´and
get a load of ´middlemen´websites!

Cheers

Dave
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:30 PM
alfred

Dave Wheeler wrote:
Hi there!

I arrive in Auckland Airport on 24th March and intend to hire a car.
Do I definitely need to book or do they always have cars at their
disposal (a small one, Ford Ka, for instance)? Does anyone know some
relevant websites? - I put keywords like ´Avis Auckland Airport´and
get a load of ´middlemen´websites!

There are five or so car har firms represented at the airport and
several others you can phone from the pictureboard thingey and they'll
take you to their car. Its unlikely that no-one will have a car, but
quite likely that their cheapest rates will be unavailable, so if you
know you need a car, I'd say book. Generally - pick the name of the
firm and put co.nz on the back and you'll find their website. Works for
thrifty, avis, hertz, budget. If you are here for more than a week or
two, you might consider the discounters but for a few days, you're
likely to do just as well with avis in particular.

Old February 21st, 2004, 08:39 PM
bruce

give avis.co.nz a try, i've found that i have been able to get up to 50%
off walk-up prices by booking on their website, especially during
off-season. if there are only 1-2 of you travelling, go for the smallest
car, you often get a free upgrade.

a tip when renting cars at airports, if you are travelling with
someone,leave them to collect the baggage and head straight to the avis
counter after clearing customs (turn left). you can save yourself an hour
by not being last in the queue.

Old February 22nd, 2004, 02:07 PM
Dave Wheeler

bruce wrote in message ...
give avis.co.nz a try, i've found that i have been able to get up to 50%
off walk-up prices by booking on their website, especially during
off-season. if there are only 1-2 of you travelling, go for the smallest
car, you often get a free upgrade.

a tip when renting cars at airports, if you are travelling with
someone,leave them to collect the baggage and head straight to the avis
counter after clearing customs (turn left). you can save yourself an hour
by not being last in the queue.

Sounds like a top tip! Many thanks!
Dave