They're at it in Crete too.

Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
BP killed my turtle

Default They're at it in Crete too.

On May 22, 7:29*pm, aquachimp
wrote:
On May 22, 6:00*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

On May 22, 5:16*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

On May 22, 4:38*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

On May 22, 3:22*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

On May 22, 3:00*pm, (David Horne, _the_ chancellor

(*)) wrote:
Andy Pandy wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message
Oddly enough, there's not much mention about this kind of thing
here.
Or does it go by another name.

I suspect it's never mentioned here because most people who post here
are independant travellers who don't go on "beach" holidays or to
typical package holiday destinations where these scum operate..

Never bumped into them myself, certainly. Maybe I just look as if I'm
skint?

Nah, that aint it; I've been doing some research into the scams prime
target selection and I since found one site claiming to reveal all.
It's not that they're looking out for package holiday destination
tourists, nor childless couples, or "newbie" tourists.
No, what they pick out are people who look like they are having fun
and clearly enjoying their holiday.

*gullible ?!

Hmm, can't say I saw a mention of gullible.http://www.ehow.com/how_2272842_spot...avel-scam.html

However, there is a scientific basis that would agree with that, or at
least from what I read in a fairly recent New Scientist, or Scientific
American *magazine which pointed out that happiness makes people more
prone to being gullible.

What might interest you though is that there's a *sort of "save our
turtles" campaign going on there. But no, it 's not the BP ones; We
saw the kiosk near the opening to the harbour car park. Previously,
the holiday rep had mentioned something about turtles coming ashore to
nest and that was about all he seemed to know about the place, though
it seems now that his direction were about 15 km out (he was
suggesting to the West of Scam Central, when in fact it's to the east
and , oh, they don't do the nesting gig until late July -to August, so
he got that bit wrong too.

Be wary of people who approach you....nuff sed

Cautiously succinctly expressed. But easier said than done.

Put it this way, *I popped along here into Usenet Street *and in
posting this thread I have in effect approached everybody. What's
more, though not Greek, I did so bearing the Gifts of information and
opportunity/excuse to converse.

Not everyone has avoided me.

A holiday, such as what I've just had, is a feast of freedom and
borrowing the phrase "we are what we eat" feasting of freedom lends us
to living more freely and, I suspect, even free from a conscious sense
of freedom. So when approached, as we were, the under current sense of
freedom expressed itself *thus, like someone whispering in your ear
saying... ooh go on, listen, check it out, you'll be doing him a
favour, you're free to walk away any time you want.

Trouble is, the same undercurrent, which is the real Trojan Horse at
work here expresses itself in the same way as each greater step of
risk is encountered. And that's why I think (though making it up as I
go along) is why some people get duped, other than those who are
tortured into it through tedium, hunger, thirst or as one couple I've
since read about, the woman was diabetic, became ill as a consequence
of all the missed meal delays, but the scammers still wouldn't let
them go until the husband signed on the dotted line.

going on holiday is no excuse for unplugging your brain....
Old May 22nd, 2010, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On May 22, 8:28*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:
On May 22, 7:29*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

On May 22, 6:00*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

On May 22, 5:16*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

On May 22, 4:38*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

(*)) wrote:
Andy Pandy wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not sure what you're saying with that generalisation.

If you're in Greece and get approached by someone speaking Dutch,
asking if perhaps you are Dutch, but you're not and don't speak a word
of it and subsequently haven't understood a word... the fact that you
simply continue on your way with hardly a shrug does not amount to
evidence that you've kept your brain plugged in.

Equally, if,say you're English and get approached my someone with a
British accent enquiring if you're English, running away like your
scared of your own shadow doesn't mean your brain is plugged in any
more than taking a moment to engage in line with all the traditions of
your upbringing means you've unplugged your brain.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_7_]

"aquachimp" wrote in message
On May 22, 7:05 pm, Martin wrote:
On 22/05/10 18:43, Andy Pandy wrote:

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in
. uk...
Andy Pandy wrote:

"aquachimp" wrote in message
Oddly enough, there's not much mention about this kind of thing
here.
Or does it go by another name.

I suspect it's never mentioned here because most people who post
here
are independant travellers who don't go on "beach" holidays or to
typical package holiday destinations where these scum operate.

Never bumped into them myself, certainly. Maybe I just look as if
I'm
skint?

They're looking for "couples", and although you may travel as a couple
I guess you might not be obviously identifiable as such ;-)

They look for gullible suckers.

Nah, that doesn't quite work either because they clearly avoid locals
and there's bound to be a few gullible suckers in every community and
not necessarily ones that are part of a couple.
If you turn over stones in search of slugs, it's not the stones you're
looking for.
So if you turn over gullible suckers, it's their money you're after,
so here "couples" represent location, "gullible suckers" are stones
and their money is what you're looking for.

I have a bridge for sale at a very reasonable price!
--
JohnT

Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
martin

On 22/05/10 23:52, JohnT wrote:

Andy Pandy wrote:

"aquachimp" wrote in message

[...]

Made by a NHS dentist?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
BP killed my turtle

On May 22, 9:13*pm, aquachimp
wrote:
On May 22, 8:28*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

On May 22, 7:29*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

On May 22, 6:00*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

On May 22, 5:16*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

On May 22, 4:38*pm, BP killed my turtle
wrote:

(*)) wrote:
Andy Pandy wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message
[...]

would you have done this in your own country ?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On May 23, 8:19*am, BP killed my turtle
wrote:
On May 22, 9:13*pm, aquachimp
wrote:

snippy

[...]

Hmm, I'm unsure what you mean by my "own country"
For me, the trickiest question are always "What's your name?" and
"where are you from?"

This is because I was born in one country then almost immediately
thereafter primarily raised in another, within an entirely different
continent, where, due to language and cultural reasons, how I was
referred to, in terms of pronunciation and spelling, differs from
anywhere else, but remained in use within my family for many years
even after departure. And then I lived in two other countries where
my "name" regardless and inclusive of officialdom was not my actual
"given name", One country of which country represents the longest
uninterrupted period of residence so far, though less then the total
amount of years living elsewhere (s) And I am now in yet another
country . Thus far it is yet the shorted period of residence, but my
name is, for the first time ever, my "given" name regardless of the
now 2 "new" languages involved, but though I now live in Belgium,
apart from not been a Belgian citizen, I am not "from" Belgium in the
ordinarily understood sense.

However to try and answer you question, if someone, a complete
stranger to me, approached me speaking in English, the novelty factor
alone would get my attention before any thoughts as to whether this
person is a "foreigner" in some sort of difficulty that I might be
able to help out with.

If, on the other hand, he is adorned with some sort of photo-inclusive
official identification such as pertaining to a licence to operate on
behalf of a British, Irish, or American tourism organisation, along
with wearing said groups clothing markers, and then presents further
proof of both personal and official I.D, then yes, I'd stop to give
him the time of day. At least up to the point when there might be a
request for "free" money. If that occurs, I'll assume the whole thing
is a fake as I do when presented with "natives" in the same "official,-
could-have-printed-it-at-home" garb and I.D. adornments and carrying
and equally fashioned collection tin.

But alas, I wouldn't be in a "I've got all the time in the world"
situation, so I wouldn't have been in a position to either help him
out further by way of entertaining myself by participating in a "lets
see what happens" / "blind" adventure.

So it would be time restrictions, schedule and commitments rather
than wariness, or having my brain "plugged in" that would be the
initial and therefore final deciding factor.

But to return to your "going on holiday is no excuse for unplugging
your brain",

There you present a generality that pretty much no-one would question
let alone disagree with, would you say that everyone who so
unquestioningly accepts it has demonstrated that they have unplugged
their brain on the excuse of "well, it's obvious, innit".
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
martin

On 23/05/10 10:31, aquachimp wrote:
snip

However to try and answer you question, if someone, a complete
stranger to me, approached me speaking in English, the novelty factor
alone would get my attention before any thoughts as to whether this
person is a "foreigner" in some sort of difficulty that I might be
able to help out with.

How many times did this happen to you before you twigged that all the
strangers were either trying to sell you Time Share or pick your pockets?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

Andy Pandy wrote:

"aquachimp" wrote in message
[...]

ta, but I have no need of a bridge be it dental or otherwise, apart
from which, even if I were on the look out for such an item, I might
not find the design, structure, or dimensions suit, and even though
such factors might be prone to being over-looked for the "right
price", failure on you part to provide any actual information on that
aspect would lead to you and your offer being dismissed outright.

So your only real chance is to sell, not through price, design or even
service but select potential buyers by removing them from their
immediate environment of fun and freedom to a quite isolated place,
where, through the pretence of rigorous checks and procedures and
constant chaperoning , you establish your "authority" in the
relationship and then with constant delays, and employing tedium akin
to the form of torture which uses just one drop of water at the time,
along with an invented established hierarchy that no one can function
independently from, they become slowly and effectively denied any form
of refreshment and even the freedom to converse privately. Then add
some downright lies and and generally wear them down in order to
convert them into potential buyers and only then might you be in with
a chance; But again, the "reasonable price" will not be a factor;
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On May 23, 10:35*am, Martin wrote:
On 23/05/10 10:31, aquachimp wrote:
snip

However to try and answer you question, if someone, a complete
stranger to me, approached me speaking in English, the novelty factor
alone would get my attention before any thoughts as to whether this
person is *a "foreigner" in some sort of difficulty that I might be
able to help out with.

How many times did this happen to you before you twigged that all the
strangers were either trying to sell you Time Share or pick your pockets?

No English speaking "identifiable" (or otherwise, for that matter)
stranger has ever approached me on a Belgian street.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
martin

On 23/05/10 11:13, aquachimp wrote:
On May 23, 10:35 am, Martin wrote:
On 23/05/10 10:31, aquachimp wrote:
snip

However to try and answer you question, if someone, a complete
stranger to me, approached me speaking in English, the novelty factor
alone would get my attention before any thoughts as to whether this
person is a "foreigner" in some sort of difficulty that I might be
able to help out with.

How many times did this happen to you before you twigged that all the
strangers were either trying to sell you Time Share or pick your pockets?

No English speaking "identifiable" (or otherwise, for that matter)
stranger has ever approached me on a Belgian street.

Perhaps because they don't sell time share or drugs in Belgium.

Try Amsterdam, or the main train station in Rome.