Mosquitoes in Italy

Old June 24th, 2015, 04:51 PM
shazi shazi is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Campin View Post
Anyways, a place I booked in Pisa for an upcoming trip lists under
"Services" mosquito nets in all rooms.

It's strange the B&B in nyc bus tour Pisa was on the 6th floor (or 7th in the US) so
you wouldn't think mosquitoes would be a problem. Plus it was pretty
far from the river, which didn't look like it would be a big source of
mosquitoes anyways.

Mosquitoes seem to like getting higher than you'd think possible and
in the most unexpected places. I spent half the night splatting them
with a towel in an upper-floor room of a modern hotel in Grenoble.
And the most heavily screened place I've ever seen, for good reason,
was the lodge near the summit of Mount Nemrut in Turkey (the one with
the statues) - that was around 2000 metres up with no visible surface
water for miles. Down on the plain in Malatya and Urfa, no screens
and not a mosquito in sight, though the river in Urfa is a sluggish
muddy trickle you'd expect to breed them in billions.

according to my experience mosquito is a problem of asia strange to know that it does exist in italy
Old June 25th, 2015, 09:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

Default Mosquitoes in Italy

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015, shazi wrote:

according to my experience mosquito is a problem of asia strange to
know that it does exist in italy

It depends what you mean ... mosq-uito means "little fly" in Spanish
("mosca", latin "musca" is "fly" in Italian). You probably mean the
biting and buzzing insect which in Italian is called "zanzara" (and may
correspond to various species, Culex, Aedes, Anopheles etc.). It might
be confused with Italian "moscerino" (which is a sort of diminutive of
"mosca", "fly", smaller, annoying but usually not biting), which should
correspond to "midges", the little insects found e.g. in humid areas in
Canada or Scandinavia (like Iceland where lake Myvatn takes its name
from them). A run on wikipedia toggling among various languages can be
instructive.

"zanzare" do exist in Italy, particularly in humid areas. They are
mostly of the species Culex (the complete name "culex pipiens molestus"
is very appropriate ... "annoying biting mosquito"). There are
disinfection campaigns done in late spring in cities in places where
water stagnates.

Recently there have been sights of what is called here "zanzara tigre"
(tiger mosquito), which should be Aedes Aegypti, so not of local origin.
Not sure if dangerous, possibly annoying ... it is said to bite also
during daytime, contrary to the other mosquitos. Dante himself has a
verse about "l'ora in cui la mosca cede alla zanzara" ("the hour when
flies give way to mosquitos"), referring to sunset. In fact when I used
to camp in the Alps at 1800 m in a narrow valley, as soon as the sun
went behind the mountain tops, mosquitos replaced flies.

The Anopheles mosquitos, which carried malaria, were diffuse in the past
in swampy areas like Maremma (southern Tuscany) and Paludi Pontine
(south of Rome), but the areas were dried during the fascist regime, and
the anopheles finally eradicated after WWII.
Old June 26th, 2015, 07:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

On 6/25/15 1:37 AM, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
[...]

Mosquitoes are mainly an annoyance.

More serious are deer ticks. Travel guides on the Dolomiti would warn
about taking measures to prevent Lyme disease or getting treated if you
suspect symptoms.
Old June 26th, 2015, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

On 6/26/15 1:31 AM, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 23:20:15 -0700, poldy wrote:

On 6/25/15 1:37 AM, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015, shazi wrote:

Mosquitoes are mainly an annoyance.

Mosquitoes carry serious diseases too.

There was no shortage of bighting mosquitoes, when I used to visit Milan in
summer. I used to visit the Milan suburb of Vimodrone.

More serious are deer ticks. Travel guides on the Dolomiti would warn
about taking measures to prevent Lyme disease or getting treated if you
suspect symptoms.

True West Nile and other serious diseases are something to be concerned
about.

But at least mosquitoes are easier to detect than ticks, which you're
vulnerable to if you walk through brush in the mountains, in the day time.

Plus, early detection and treatment of Lyme disease is critical, as the
consequences for failure to do so are pretty serious.

Old July 21st, 2015, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Hello Foodies,

Who is coming on the Culinary Tour of Italy in October to cook with me, Masterchef 6 Contestant Jonathan Scinto and with other famous Chefs from each region we visit in Italy?

CALL NOW ....914-797-2247 to BOOK the Tour & more info!
(limited to 100 guests)

Don't wait, the deadline to get your $400 deposit in is August 18th.

Can't wait to meet and cook with you

Molto Grazie!

Follow me:
https://www.facebook.com/ChefJonathanS
https://twitter.com/ChefJonathanS
www.chefjonathans.com

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...pslyscduuo.jpg
Old December 6th, 2015, 11:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

On 06-01-2015 16:34, poldy wrote:
Back years ago, one of the regular posters to a.t.e complained several
times about mosquitoes in Milan. I believe he was an Aussie who lived
there several years?

Been to different parts of Italy several times, though mostly in May and
early June.

Never encountered any problems with mosquitoes. Maybe a bite here or
there. Once in Venice, the place I stayed had those plug-in bug zappers
of some kind in the rooms.

Three weeks, May 2013. Cinque Terre, Toscana, Roma, San Marino,
Venezia, Milano, Pisa, Firenze (not in that order).

Did not see, hear, or feel a single mosquito.

--
Wes Groleau
Old December 6th, 2015, 11:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

On 12/6/15 2:20 PM, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 06-01-2015 16:34, poldy wrote:
Back years ago, one of the regular posters to a.t.e complained several
times about mosquitoes in Milan. I believe he was an Aussie who lived
there several years?

Been to different parts of Italy several times, though mostly in May and
early June.

Never encountered any problems with mosquitoes. Maybe a bite here or
there. Once in Venice, the place I stayed had those plug-in bug zappers
of some kind in the rooms.

Three weeks, May 2013. Cinque Terre, Toscana, Roma, San Marino,
Venezia, Milano, Pisa, Firenze (not in that order).

Did not see, hear, or feel a single mosquito.

Oh man, now that this thread was resuscitated, I went to Sicily at the
end of September, first part of October.

First Taormina and then 3 nights in Salina, then Siracusa, Noto and Ragusa.

They had record rains the weeks before I arrived. In fact the funivia
in Taormina was out of service due to mudslides.

Weather was humid. There was some sun but a lot of clouds. Didn't have
a problem with mosquitoes in the room but during the day, you had to
keep waving off flies from your arms and legs.

Then in Salina, there were some heavy thunderstorms. But the first
afternoon, the flies problem was more accute. Could not sit down for
more than a couple of minutes before they were all over you.

First night, I was awoke by very loud, high-pitched hum. Something
flying right by my head.

Woke up with bites all over my legs. Complained and the hotel gave me
one of those traps that you plug in, with a little "tablet" to slide in.
That helped a lot.

I guess the fall is the worst time for mosquitoes, especially in muggy
weather.