Rail fares for former Yugoslav countries...

Old November 24th, 2006, 05:29 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Bill[_6_]

Default Rail fares for former Yugoslav countries...

Does anyone know of a site with rail fares or approximate rail fares
for the ex Yugoslav countries?

My first journey is from Thesselonika to Skopje. Would this train
follow the same pricing plan for the internal greek trains set out on
this page...

http://www.ose.gr/ecportal.asp?id=886&nt=18&lang=2

Does anyone think that the total journeys below would cost more than
£277 (€410) - the cost of an interrail ticket which covers Greece,
FYR Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, Bos&Hertz, Croatia, Slovenia and
Italy.

i) Thessalonika - Skopje
ii) Skopje - Prestina (bus)
iii) Prestina - Prizren (bus)
iv) Prizren - Podgorica (bus+Kosovan train?)
v) Podgorica - Bar
vi) Bar - Belgrade (day train)
vii) Belgrade - Zagreb
viii) Zagreb - Banja Luka
ix) Banja Luka - Sarajevo
x) Sarajevo - Mostar
xi) Mostar - Split (bus)
xii) Split - Zagreb
xiii) Zagreb - Ljubljana
xiv) Ljubljana - Venice

Seems quite a lot now i've typed it out! Might finish my travels in
Ljubljana instead of Venice to save an extra leg, especially if I can
find a cheap flight out of Ljubljana back to the UK.

Original thought was that BA flies to both Venice and Thessalonika and
could probably get a reasonable fare (£120). They don't fly to Skopje
or Ljubljana though.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Old November 24th, 2006, 05:38 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
tile

"Bill" ha scritto nel messaggio
ps.com...
[...]

I think Split Zagreb will be also by bus..

as far as I remember there is only one railway from Lubiana to Zagreb to
Beograd to Skopje to Thessaloiki, and two railways connecting from the coast
I remember Ploce Mostar
Mostar Sarajevo by bus and Sarajevo Beograd again by train.
have alook at

www.bahn.de

it should be a precious source of informations.

in any case. for the bus

www.eurolines.com.

local buses are a normal mean of transport in all former Yougoslavian
countiies.

Old November 24th, 2006, 06:17 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Bill[_6_]

Thanks.

I regularly use the DB website, which is great for timetabling
information but doesn't offer any help at ticket prices.

Another thought...

From Zagreb there is one train which serves Banja Luka, Sarajevo,

Mostar and Ploce.

Could I buy a single ticket to Ploce and get on and off along the way?
Or is it a case of buying 4 tickets?

Old November 24th, 2006, 07:29 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

On 24 Nov 2006 09:29:41 -0800, Bill wrote:

Does anyone know of a site with rail fares or approximate rail fares
for the ex Yugoslav countries?

Does anyone think that the total journeys below would cost more than
£277 (¤410) - the cost of an interrail ticket which covers Greece,
FYR Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, Bos&Hertz, Croatia, Slovenia and

Bos&Hertz ?????
Sounds to me like you're thinking of hiring a car!
Regards
Gerry
Old November 25th, 2006, 01:15 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Phil Richards

Bill wrote:
Does anyone know of a site with rail fares or approximate rail fares
for the ex Yugoslav countries?

Suggest look at the following site to get an idea of fares:

http://www.jizdenka.cz/IT.aspx

My first journey is from Thesselonika to Skopje. Would this train
follow the same pricing plan for the internal greek trains set out on
this page...

http://www.ose.gr/ecportal.asp?id=886&nt=18&lang=2

Does anyone think that the total journeys below would cost more than
£277 (€410) - the cost of an interrail ticket which covers Greece,
FYR Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, Bos&Hertz, Croatia, Slovenia and
Italy.

Probably not a cost effective option.

--
Phil Richards
London, UK
Old November 25th, 2006, 06:18 AM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
tile

"Bill" ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
Thanks.

I regularly use the DB website, which is great for timetabling
information but doesn't offer any help at ticket prices.

Another thought...

From Zagreb there is one train which serves Banja Luka, Sarajevo,

Mostar and Ploce.

Could I buy a single ticket to Ploce and get on and off along the way?
Or is it a case of buying 4 tickets?

if I were you I would buy a ticket only when I am in the train.
I still recommend buses.

I just read a report saying that Serbian trains are in a very bad shape. and
in some parts the speed does not exceed 10 kms per hour

Old November 25th, 2006, 01:48 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Theo Markettos

In misc.transport.rail.europe Bill wrote:
Does anyone know of a site with rail fares or approximate rail fares
for the ex Yugoslav countries?

My first journey is from Thesselonika to Skopje. Would this train
follow the same pricing plan for the internal greek trains set out on
this page...

http://www.ose.gr/ecportal.asp?id=886&nt=18&lang=2

No, I think it's globally priced. Jizdenka gives EUR18.60 which sounds
about right.

Does anyone think that the total journeys below would cost more than
??277 (???410) - the cost of an interrail ticket which covers Greece,
FYR Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, Bos&Hertz, Croatia, Slovenia and
Italy.

Don't know, but there's also a Balkan Flexipass:
http://www.ose.gr/ecportal.asp?id=12...lexipass_E ng
Covers all of the above except Italy.

Original thought was that BA flies to both Venice and Thessalonika and
could probably get a reasonable fare (??120). They don't fly to Skopje
or Ljubljana though.

If you're not in a hurry you could also try Athens - there's more
availability of cheap tickets, and an overnight Athens-Thessaloniki is cheap
(30EUR including supplement, something like that). Easyjet fly to
Ljubljana and Athens.

Theo
Old November 25th, 2006, 03:23 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Helmut Uttenthaler

Phil Richards wrote:
Bill wrote:
Does anyone know of a site with rail fares or approximate rail fares
for the ex Yugoslav countries?

Suggest look at the following site to get an idea of fares:

http://www.jizdenka.cz/IT.aspx

International fare within the Balkan (former Yugoslavia, Romania, Bulgaria,
Turkey, Greece) countries is about 30% lower than the TCV fare at this
website, if tickets are bought locally.

--
LG

Helmut

Old November 25th, 2006, 03:25 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Helmut Uttenthaler

Bill wrote:
Thanks.

I regularly use the DB website, which is great for timetabling
information but doesn't offer any help at ticket prices.

Another thought...

From Zagreb there is one train which serves Banja Luka, Sarajevo,
Mostar and Ploce.

Could I buy a single ticket to Ploce and get on and off along the way?

Yes, normal international tickets are valid 2 months and allow an unlimited
number of stopovers.

--
LG

Helmut

Old November 25th, 2006, 03:34 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Helmut Uttenthaler

Bill wrote:

Does anyone think that the total journeys below would cost more than
£277 (€410) - the cost of an interrail ticket which covers Greece,
FYR Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, Bos&Hertz, Croatia, Slovenia and
Italy.

i) Thessalonika - Skopje
ii) Skopje - Prestina (bus)
iii) Prestina - Prizren (bus)
iv) Prizren - Podgorica (bus+Kosovan train?)
v) Podgorica - Bar
vi) Bar - Belgrade (day train)
vii) Belgrade - Zagreb
viii) Zagreb - Banja Luka
ix) Banja Luka - Sarajevo
x) Sarajevo - Mostar
xi) Mostar - Split (bus)

Can also be done by train to Ploce and then bus.

You might try to get an international ticket Bar - Ljubljana and make
stopovers at Belgrade and Zagreb. However, a separate tickets Bar - Belgrad
and Belgrad - Ljubljana might be cheaper, if still some kind of "domestic"
fare applies between Bar and Belgrade. You wont loose much money with
breaking tickets in Servia, as the international fare of Servian railways is
linear (and not degressive, as with many other railways).

For the sidestep you buy one international ticket Zagreb - Mostar (or Ploce)
and a national ticket Split - Zagreb.

xii) Split - Zagreb
xiii) Zagreb - Ljubljana
xiv) Ljubljana - Venice

Seems quite a lot now i've typed it out! Might finish my travels in
Ljubljana instead of Venice to save an extra leg, especially if I can
find a cheap flight out of Ljubljana back to the UK.

Isn't Ryanair or something like that flying to Ljubljana?

Train Ljubljana - Venezia costs 25 EUR, AFAIK.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Forget about buses, if there is a rail-alternative...

I would guess, that you will pay less then half of the mentioned 410 EUR if
you buy separate tickets locally, maybe even less than a third....

Helmut