WiFi in UK

Old February 8th, 2008, 01:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
lmtroxler

Default WiFi in UK

Hello All

I hope to visit the UK again, last time was back in 1999. I do not
want to lug my laptop around and been thinking of purchasing the new
Apple Ipod Touch with built in Wifi.

Here in America, we have free wifi spots (some parks in my town,
restaurants, hotels, etc). I was wondering if there is free wifi that
if I would bring this over if I would be able to find networks to
connect to and check email and the internet for info?

Does anyone know is this exists in the UK at all? How about the
trains, planes for business people any connection like the major
airlines here in the States?

Thanks. Any information would be helpful. Any websites you can lead
me to also. I'm clueless and searching for answers.

Cheers.
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 17:05:22 -0800, lmtroxler wroteÂ*:

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/pages/com.../freewifi.html

http://www.myhotspots.co.uk/
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

I hope to visit the UK again, last time was back in 1999. I do not
want to lug my laptop around and been thinking of purchasing the new
Apple Ipod Touch with built in Wifi.
Here in America, we have free wifi spots (some parks in my town,
restaurants, hotels, etc). I was wondering if there is free wifi that
if I would bring this over if I would be able to find networks to
connect to and check email and the internet for info?

I found the opposite problem in Slovakia last summer. There are so
many wi-fi spots that they'd largely driven old-style internet cafes
out of business. If we'd been carrying a laptop around like your
typical Slovak yuppie we'd have much less problem checking email.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old February 8th, 2008, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

I hope to visit the UK again, last time was back in 1999. I do not
want to lug my laptop around and been thinking of purchasing the new
Apple Ipod Touch with built in Wifi.
Here in America, we have free wifi spots (some parks in my town,
restaurants, hotels, etc). I was wondering if there is free wifi that
if I would bring this over if I would be able to find networks to
connect to and check email and the internet for info?

I found the opposite problem in Slovakia last summer. There are so
many wi-fi spots that they'd largely driven old-style internet cafes
out of business. If we'd been carrying a laptop around like your
typical Slovak yuppie we'd have much less problem checking email.

If it's just for checking text email, then I find doing it on a mobile
phone is the easiest thing to do. I don't take my laptop if I'm
travelling for pleasure, usually.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old February 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 17:05:22 -0800 (PST), lmtroxler
wrote:
Here in America, we have free wifi spots (some parks in my town,
restaurants, hotels, etc). I was wondering if there is free wifi that
if I would bring this over if I would be able to find networks to
connect to and check email and the internet for info?

Of course, they're everywhere, you'll have no trouble finding places.

Jim.
Old February 8th, 2008, 08:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:
Here in America, we have free wifi spots (some parks in my town,
restaurants, hotels, etc). I was wondering if there is free wifi that
if I would bring this over if I would be able to find networks to
connect to and check email and the internet for info?

Of course, they're everywhere, you'll have no trouble finding places.

You have to know where they are. There is wifi almost anywhere nowadays
in UK towns and cities- most of it is not free.

Old February 8th, 2008, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:
Here in America, we have free wifi spots (some parks in my town,
restaurants, hotels, etc). I was wondering if there is free wifi that
if I would bring this over if I would be able to find networks to
connect to and check email and the internet for info?

Of course, they're everywhere, you'll have no trouble finding places.

You have to know where they are. There is wifi almost anywhere nowadays
in UK towns and cities- most of it is not free.

Which reminds me- I wonder if the wifi signal from McD's can be got
outside the restaurants?

The other day, while waiting on a train at Leeds station I got a free
wifi signal from a GNER train adjacent to mine.

Old February 8th, 2008, 08:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Jim Ley wrote:

wrote:
Here in America, we have free wifi spots (some parks in my town,
restaurants, hotels, etc). I was wondering if there is free wifi that
if I would bring this over if I would be able to find networks to
connect to and check email and the internet for info?

Of course, they're everywhere, you'll have no trouble finding places.

You have to know where they are.

Well there in the places where it says "Free Wifi Here", or you just
scan for them whereever you are and see. Within 100 yards of my flat
there's a bar, a cafe and an outdoor council provided free wifi, all
are easy to spot, it's pretty much the same in the center of any town
IME - I've been homeless relying on found wifi to work, I rarely had
trouble whereever I was.

There is wifi almost anywhere nowadays
in UK towns and cities- most of it is not free.

Oh, if you have not free wifi, then there's loads more choice of
course, but just wonder around the center of most towns and some place
- a bar or a cafe will be advertising it.

We've had this conversation before. I can think of several places in the
centre of Manchester where there is free wifi, but if I were wandering
around looking for them, they'd not be found too quickly. I travel quite
extensively to UK towns and cities, and use wifi a lot- I do try and use
free sites when I can, but I wouldn't say it was always easy. The fact I
have an openzone account makes things much easier, so I just use that.

If I'm around Oxford Road in London, I pop into the apple store on
Regent street which has free wifi.

Old February 8th, 2008, 09:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_3_]

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message

The other day, while waiting on a train at Leeds station I got a free
wifi signal from a GNER train adjacent to mine.

They must have forgotten to turn it off when their franchise was terminated.
--

JohnT