Taking New England Vacation in October

Old September 14th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Verizon Customer

"ThomJeff" wrote in message
Verizon Customer wrote:

questions:
^^ Is there alot going on up there around this time?

You mean, besides the roads full of tourists? In Vermont the late
September through Late October is THE peak tourist time of the year (and
for good reason--the vistas are truly amazing on sunny days).

We'll be heading up mid-week early one morning. Can't imagine being too hard
on us as far as traffic is concerned.

^^ also, what might we get in as far as weather's concerned. (note: the
cooler the better for us. 'can't get enough!)

Sunny days will be in the 60s, but 40s and 50s if cloudy. Often below
freezing at night.

Awesome! I'm besides myself right now.

NOTE: I'd thought about Vermont, but figured Maine might be best what
with all the towns, cities and more to cover on the way back. Any
thoughts?

If you had enough time, you might think about starting with a day in
Vermont, going across the Kankamangus Highway to New Hampshire, and then
going over to Maine.

On my MS Street Maps, went up midway through VT then through that highway in
NH and over to Portland. Oye, went over a day's worth of travel (unless I
did something wrong.) Too much travel time for us considering the stops we'd
want to make on the way back and the time we have to travel. Sounded like a
nice idea though.

thanks ThomJeff !
;-)

Old September 15th, 2004, 12:00 AM

This is an excellent suggestion, and I'd like to add to it. From NYC you
can take the Taconic Pkwy, which is one of the most gorgeous roads in the
Northeast, and there will be spectacular foliage along the way. When you
get to the pike, you can scoot over to Rt 7 and on up to Rt 2. There are
plenty of things to see and do (particularly the Bridge of Flowers in
Shelburne Falls), and you can continue on over toward Maine on Rt 202. You
could get to Me in a day, but the question would be why? I think that in
mid-Oct this will be the prettiest part of your trip, and you should take it
at a snail's pace. You should be able to find modest accomodations around
Greenfield, not to mention Yankee Candle if that would interest you. This
is a mighty attractive alterntive to spending a day on I-95, and just look
at the cities you get to miss driving thru; not to mention the scenic
factories and tank farms, the playful semi drivers, the dense traffic.

Enjoy

"ginny h-w" wrote in message
om...
The second weekend in October is a 3 day weekend (Columbus Day) and a
big leaf peeking weekend. I'd think about reservations if you are
hoping to stay near any major attractions. Western Mass. is a great
starting place. The Berkshires are beautiful and there's a lot going
on in the Lenox/Williamsburg area. Rte 2, aka The Mohawk trail, is a
scenic way to cross the state before heading up north.
Rte 1 is fine if you don't mind traffic and like to shop. Lots of
Antique Stores and tag sales and mini malls. The Topsfield Fair runs
through the 11th if you want a big event this is it. It's in north
east Mass.on rte. 1.

"Verizon Customer" wrote in message

Hello all,

Myself and a colleague will be driving from NYC to New England in Mid
October. I was seriously thinking about starting off with Portland,

Maine
(and surrounding areas) then working our way back down.

We're die-hard Autumn-Foliage enthusiasts and amateur photographers. So
we're really looking forward to what's in store.

questions:
^^ Is there alot going on up there around this time?
^^ and will the foliage be at peak or close to it?

Old September 15th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Verizon Customer

"K" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Thanks K,

I couldn't agree more regarding I-95. I go to CT often and usually turn off
onto Rt 1 or some other road since driving along this Interstate can be so
gosh darn boring and tedious. With this in mind, there's no doubt I'd find a
(longer) route along the way regardless of where I end up heading towards.
I always get a bigger kick out of the traveling than actually getting there.

I'll certainly consider your suggestion. ;-)