Motel Ranking USA

Old July 19th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Bernie Mayer

Default Motel Ranking USA

Hi all,

is there a ranking of the various motel chains in the US?

I have so far mostly stayed at Motel 6, which was allright. Clean, some
quite new, no frills, ok price.

I have tried Fairfield, but was disgusted by the roaches in my room.
Days Inn seems to offer a restaurant, making it more expensive.

What about Super 8 etc.?

Old July 19th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Keith W

"Bernie Mayer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

is there a ranking of the various motel chains in the US?

I have so far mostly stayed at Motel 6, which was allright. Clean, some
quite new, no frills, ok price.

I have tried Fairfield, but was disgusted by the roaches in my room.
Days Inn seems to offer a restaurant, making it more expensive.

Days Inn vary considerably from quite upmarket to real
fleapits

What about Super 8 etc.?

Super 8 I have found on balance better than Motel 6
and alongside them in the budget motel chains I'd
rank EconoLodge , Comfort Inn, Travelodge, Holiday Inn Express,
and Red Roof Inn

Typically all of these offer basic but clean motel rooms
outside of town without bar or restaurant but often close
to a chain eaterie like Denny's. All of these are reliable if a
little dull sometimes but there are a couple of chains
you need to be somewhat cautious of using IMHO

Vagabond Inns CAN be good value, I stayed in the one
in San Pedro and it was fine but other people have
reported unfortunate experience at other hotels in this
chain so check em out on trip advisor before booking.

Similarly Days Inn seem to have slid down the quality
ladder in recent years and I'd avoid em personally

A little more upmarket tend to be the hotels in the
Best Western, Howard Johnson and Quality Inn
and Hampton Inn. Typically they offer restaurant
and bar.

Finally you get the chains like Marriot, Ramada ,
Hyatt, Sheraton, Intercontinental , Westin etc
who tend to attract the well heeled and business
traveller prepared to pay a premium for luxury
and location.

Keith

Old July 19th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Rog'

"Bernie Mayer" wrote:
is there a ranking of the various motel chains in the US?

What looks like a comprehensive list of hotel chains can be found
at http://ehotelier.com/browse/chains.php. IMO, chains have such
a wide variety of hotels of various quality and are often operated
by individual franchise-owners that its a mistake to take one or
two good or poor experiences and extrapolate that to the entire
chain. I prefer to seek out views and ratings of hotels by location,
like you can find at www.tripadivsor.com. Zagat has a ranking of
international chains. 2004 results are at http://tinyurl.com/87lwo .

I think its fair to classify chains as luxury, moderate or budget class.
In the luxury tier, I would put Crown Plaza, Four Seasons, Fairmont,
Four Seasons, some Hiltons, Hyatt, JW Marriotts, Intercontinental,
Omni, Park Plaza, Renaissance, Regent and Westin.

In the moderate class, I would place Adams Mark, AmeriHost,
Best Westerns, Candlewood, Embassy Suites, Hilton-group, the
Holiday Inn-group, LaQuinta, Marriott-group, Quality Inn (Choice),
Radisson, select Ramadas, Sheraton and Staybridge.

As budget-class, I include Choice-group, Country Inns, Days Inn,
Econolodge, Knights Inn, Motel 6, Ramada, Super 8, Travelodge,
Villager Inn and Wingate Inn.

YMMV. =R=

Old July 21st, 2005, 06:40 AM
A Mate

As a foreigner (Australian) who travels to the USA every 2nd year or so -
I'd rate Days Inn as very inconsistent. Comfort Inn (same chain I believe)
generally better. Most predictable (and reasonably comfortable) seems to me
to be Red Roof Inn.

Old July 21st, 2005, 08:02 AM
Keith W

"A Mate" wrote in message
As a foreigner (Australian) who travels to the USA every 2nd year or so -
I'd rate Days Inn as very inconsistent. Comfort Inn (same chain I believe)
generally better.

Comfort Inn is part of the Choice Hotels International group and is quite
separate to Days Inn which is a franchise operated by the Cendant Hotels
group which also operates the Ramada, Travelodge, Howard Johnson
and Super 8 chains

Most predictable (and reasonably comfortable) seems to me to be Red Roof
Inn.

Not a bad choice but they have fewer locations as I recall.

Keith

Old July 21st, 2005, 01:06 PM
Dick Snyder

The best ranking system IMHO is AAA or American Automobile Association. You
can find rankings of most motels in any given city in the the US so you can
read about the specific ratings of THAT motel rather than general ones. I
have used AAA for 30 years and I have not found them to be way off on a
review/recommendation. They have a star system rather than a long review so
you can look for a two star motel in Des Moines Iowa and find the price or
convenient location that is right for you.