Where to stay (Barcaldine and Longreach)

Old January 30th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Hallvard Tangeraas

Default Where to stay (Barcaldine and Longreach)

I'll be going to Barcaldine and Longreach soon, but I'm not quite sure
about the accommodations. A friend of mine recommended Barcaldine as I
wanted to see more of the outback and non-touristy Australia, and
knows someone owning a pub there with the option to stay there as
well, but I'm not sure about the price.

I think he spoke of something around AU$ 60 a night, which is quite
expensive for me (I've been staying at dorms all the way in this
country, paying around AU$ 20 a night) -are there cheap places to stay
at those two places (Longreach and Barcaldine)?
I've searched the net but found nothing, but then again not everybody
has a website or information about their place....

Hallvard+
Old January 30th, 2004, 08:03 PM
David Bennetts

"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message
om...
I'll be going to Barcaldine and Longreach soon, but I'm not quite sure
about the accommodations. A friend of mine recommended Barcaldine as I
wanted to see more of the outback and non-touristy Australia, and
knows someone owning a pub there with the option to stay there as
well, but I'm not sure about the price.

I think he spoke of something around AU$ 60 a night, which is quite
expensive for me (I've been staying at dorms all the way in this
country, paying around AU$ 20 a night) -are there cheap places to stay
at those two places (Longreach and Barcaldine)?
I've searched the net but found nothing, but then again not everybody
has a website or information about their place....

Hallvard+

Check with the following website - you may have to phone the tourist
information centre at each town:
http://www.action-graphics.com.au/ma...focentres.html

THere's also pubs and caravan parks listed at www.walkabout.com.au

Regards

David Bennetts

Old January 31st, 2004, 03:21 AM
Ross

You could try this web page:

http://www.queenslandholidays.com.au...barcaldine.cfm

The Shakespeare Hotel used to be the place to stay in Barcaldine - about
1950's.

Don't expect too much in "Barky" and you won't be disappointed.

Ross

Old January 31st, 2004, 06:06 AM
Ralph R

(Hallvard Tangeraas) wrote in message . com...
I'll be going to Barcaldine and Longreach soon, but I'm not quite sure
about the accommodations. A friend of mine recommended Barcaldine as I
wanted to see more of the outback and non-touristy Australia, and
knows someone owning a pub there with the option to stay there as
well, but I'm not sure about the price.

I think he spoke of something around AU$ 60 a night, which is quite
expensive for me (I've been staying at dorms all the way in this
country, paying around AU$ 20 a night) -are there cheap places to stay
at those two places (Longreach and Barcaldine)?
I've searched the net but found nothing, but then again not everybody
has a website or information about their place....

Hallvard,

In my experience, country pubs ("hotels") are among the cheapest
options for accommodation in rural Australia. These aren't the sort of
places you'd expect to find on the internet. Typical pub rooms have
shared bath facilities, 1950s decor, perhaps even a bare lightbulb
hanging from the ceiling. Breakfast is often included.

As I recall, Barcaldine has several pubs along the the main drag. I
don't remember Longreach that well (we only stopped briefly en route
to Winton) but being a bigger town, I'm sure it has no shortage of pub
accommodation.

I hope you like it out there. It really is another world. I remember
the "general store" across the street from the pub we stayed at in
Winton - looking around you could find merchandise still priced in
pounds and pence!

Ralph R, CT, USA
Old January 31st, 2004, 07:17 AM
Freda

Local pubs would be the place to stay.
There are a few along the main street.
Failing that, there is a caravan park which may have
onsite cabins which provide accommodation .
The town hasnt got a lot BUT it has a local and area history
centre at the old Primary scholl which is excellent.
called the Australian workers Heritage Centre
Each old classroom is done up as a particular theme
and get a entry pass which you sign and go back
with the next day and the next if you want to.
All the stuff is historical not like longreach which is mainly
high tech screens etc.
Thousands of photographs of the bygone eras.
put Barcaldine Queensland or Barcaldine Queensland Caravan Park
into www.google.com and search and you will get quite a lot of stuff.
Information centre at this address

http://www.action-graphics.com.au/ma...dineintro.html
or accommodation at this page of that site

http://www.action-graphics.com.au/ma...arcaldine.html
heritage centre at this site
http://www.heritagetrails.qld.gov.au...arcaldine.html

Freda
--
Please reply to the list as my email address is a fake

Old January 31st, 2004, 06:17 PM
Henry

Ross wrote:

"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message

I'll be going to Barcaldine and Longreach soon, but I'm not quite sure
about the accommodations.

I think he spoke of something around AU$ 60 a night, which is quite
expensive for me (I've been staying at dorms all the way in this
country, paying around AU$ 20 a night) -are there cheap places to stay
at those two places (Longreach and Barcaldine)?

The Shakespeare Hotel used to be the place to stay in Barcaldine - about
1950's.

Don't expect too much in "Barky" and you won't be disappointed.

We stayed at the Shakespeare last October. It was great fun and only AU$
30 for a double room.

cheers,

Henry