How to pack light, some tips

Old August 21st, 2007, 06:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
me[_5_]

Default How to pack light, some tips

On Aug 21, 1:08 pm, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, me wrote:
mountain paths, all listing phone numbers to call.

Just for the sake of curiosity, which country are you talking of ?

England, although in past years I saw similar effects in Ireland
and Spain (Sierra Nevadas).

Mountains in England ? I'd barely call mountains those in Scotland
(sorry I could not resist :-) )

Yes, technically I think they call them fells. Some rules in the
EU I'm sure stating what you can call a mountain. None the
less, the lower the peaks, the lower the antennas for the
cell towers.

Yes, these things can be quite variable by region. We have some
system slowly spreading in which one doesn't even have to
insert the card, but merely wave it over a reader. No PIN.

I suppose you mean some RFID device. Though good for a metro season
card, I won't like the idea of an ATM card without the further PIN
check.

I think it is a tad more than that, but not much more.

Old August 21st, 2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

William Black wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
[xeroxing pages is] a good alternative,
especially if you only need a few pages.

.
But be careful with that--copy paper is generally a
heavier grade

True, plus a person making Xeroxes in a hurry may only xerox to one
side of each page, doubling the number of pages needed.

A lot depends on your mode of travel. A big book is more hassle for
someone backpacking than for someone who's cruising around in a rental
car.

Except that if you're renting a car you do rather tend not to hang about
much but a backpacker spends a lot of time waiting for the next
bus/train/aircraft.

Not in my experience. I spend a bit of time studying the travel
schedules and plan accordingly. When I drove, I spent quite a bit of
wasted time driving places, well, just because I could.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Giovanni Drogo wrote:

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, me wrote:

Actually, it is more of a case of society organizing itself around
the presumption that one will have a cell phone.

Unfortunately.

Really? I rarely answer my phone. I certainly think it's convenient, but
I in no way arrange my life arount it.

Old August 21st, 2007, 09:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia

Giovanni Drogo wrote:

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, me wrote:

mountain paths, all listing phone numbers to call.

Just for the sake of curiosity, which country are you talking of ?

England, although in past years I saw similar effects in Ireland
and Spain (Sierra Nevadas).

Mountains in England ? I'd barely call mountains those in Scotland
(sorry I could not resist :-) )

Out of interest, when you walk in the mountains, what would you consider
an average cut off for the height covered in your typical walk?

[]
There is talk of imbedding this feature into cell phones so that
each vendor can leave info on your phone. (Cookie like info).

Cookies are one of the first things I nearly disabled in web browser
since ages

Why?

Old August 21st, 2007, 09:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
me[_5_]

On Aug 21, 4:00 pm, (David Horne, _the_ chancellor
(*)) wrote:
Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, me wrote:

Actually, it is more of a case of society organizing itself around
the presumption that one will have a cell phone.

Unfortunately.

Really? I rarely answer my phone. I certainly think it's convenient, but
I in no way arrange my life arount it.

Actually in some ways, you probably do. They appear natural
and transparent to you now, but there are habits and expecations
you have because of the presence of a phone in your home/possession.
It mostly has to do with the plans you make for emergencies, or
contingencies, or even pleasantries. Heck the simple requirement
most employers have that one "call" if they are not going to come
to work due to illness or other problem presumes ready access to
a phone. There was a time (may still be) that members of the
national guard were required to have a phone (and could get
compensated for it) so that they could be "called up".

Old August 21st, 2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
William Black wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

But you couldn't read a book while getting there...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 21st, 2007, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia

William Black wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Exactly! Or do anything else other than concentrate on the road...

Old August 21st, 2007, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia

(*)) wrote:
Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, me wrote:

Actually, it is more of a case of society organizing itself around
the presumption that one will have a cell phone.

Unfortunately.

Really? I rarely answer my phone. I certainly think it's convenient, but
I in no way arrange my life arount it.

Actually in some ways, you probably do.

Yes, in as much as all innovations in technology affect my life.
However, I don't usually answer my phone, and usually wait a while to
check voicemail. In that respect, it's no different than when all my
phone calls came to my landline...

Old August 21st, 2007, 10:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
J. Clarke[_2_]

William Black wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I find that reading a while walking tends to result in my tripping
over roots or wandering into traffic.

I don't consider riding a bus or train while using a backpack as
luggage to be "backpacking".

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)