living in europe

Old September 20th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Mxsmanic

Timothy Kroesen writes:

You are therefore a liar and I will now produce the evidence of that
fact, along with you being an ignorant racist.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...af76c39bab3458

Unfortunately, nothing of what you've quoted actually shows me saying
what you claimed I had said.

You said that I claimed that I was "expert in distinguishing the
origins of people of color," but nothing in the backquotes you've
provided supports your assertion. You've quoted a lot of text, but
none of it says what you claim. You've only succeeded in supporting
my own assertion, namely, that I never said what you claim. Certainly
I did not say it in any of the posts that you backquoted.

So, it looks like your accusations of lying and ignorant racism are
just simple defamation, given that they are baseless. Do you really
want to go that way?

Old September 20th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Mxsmanic

DDT Filled Mormons writes:

Adults do not learn as well as children, because the important parts
of the brain used for adapting to languages shut down sometime around
the age of 16.

This is mythology, not science. Nothing "shuts down" at any age. You
can learn new things throughout life ... including new languages.

Old September 20th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Juliana L Holm

Mxsmanic wrote:
DDT Filled Mormons writes:

Adults do not learn as well as children, because the important parts
of the brain used for adapting to languages shut down sometime around
the age of 16.

This is mythology, not science. Nothing "shuts down" at any age. You
can learn new things throughout life ... including new languages.

Adults learn language differently than children. They apprehend grammar
differently. They may not learn the sounds as well, that is one thing
that does no longer exist in the adult (but it shuts down long before
16; somewhere in the first year or so.).

So an adult may very well never sound like a native speaker, but they
can become fluent in the language as much as an 8 year old.

Julie
--
Julie
**********
Old September 20th, 2005, 09:56 PM
B Vaughan

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:28:40 +0100, DDT Filled Mormons
wrote:

Adults do not learn as well as children, because the important parts
of the brain used for adapting to languages shut down sometime around
the age of 16.

Actually, I read an age much younger than that, I think around 7 or 8.
If a child learns two languages before that, they're all stored in the
"language" bins. A language learned after that is stored in some other
part of the brain, where it's accessible, but not as naturally.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Juliana L Holm

wrote:

Adults do not learn as well as children, because the important parts
of the brain used for adapting to languages shut down sometime around
the age of 16.

Actually, I read an age much younger than that, I think around 7 or 8.
If a child learns two languages before that, they're all stored in the
"language" bins. A language learned after that is stored in some other
part of the brain, where it's accessible, but not as naturally.

There was a significant research finding earlier this year that this is not
actually true. It is true that the bin is different, but not that it is
less accessible. It was reported on prominently in the Washington Post.

On April 26 (I happened to have noted it in my blog, so I looked back at the
blog.) Unfortunately the Post does not keep articles online indefinitely, so
I can't give you a link.

Julie
--
Julie
**********
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Timothy Kroesen

Cellular regeneration does indeed 'shut down' with age; fueling a host
of age related illnesses. Please cite the source of your moronic
comment...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ne ss&spell=1

There are a Quarter-Million to support mine.

Tim K

Old September 20th, 2005, 10:22 PM
DDT Filled Mormons

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:54:23 -0700, "Mimi"
wrote:

"The Reids" wrote in message
.. .

What do people in Europe expect from an American?

I think we expect Americans to be poorly informed on non US
issues, in a rush to see major sites rather than holiday, be rich
and be conservative on food, wanting steaks all the time. We
expect them to have had a lot of dental work and have big toothy
smiles. Oh, and right wing in politics of course. We are
surprised by those who speak Spanish.
The last half dozen Americans I got to know didn't conform to
hardly any of that. Except the smiles and the food maybe. That
smile disappears when the offal arrives :-)
--

So what is the stereotype of an Australian?

Just like an English, except without any subtlety, and a big chip on
the shoulder.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Timothy Kroesen

"Do you really want to go that way" racist?

In general, American blacks are easy to recognize. As I've said
before, they aren't seen as black so much as they are seen as
American.

The ones I've seen vary from an "average" white to very pale, yes.
There are a some with dark complexions but overall they are
light-skinned. In fact, that's one easy and moderately reliable way
to distinguish between Spaniards and other Spanish-speaking ethnic
groups.

(Mixi)

Tim K