Baldor 632E 6-Inch 1800 RPM Deluxe Grinder

Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Baldor 632E 6-Inch 1800 RPM Deluxe Grinder

Price:$285.00
Image: http://speialdiscountfinder.info/ima...?id=B0000224JQ
Best deal: http://speialdiscountfinder.info/ind...?id=B0000224JQ

This low speed grinder is very smooth and powerful. The low speed make it much less likely to heat damage an edge than with a high speed grinder. This sounds odd, but you'll be shocked at how well packed it is.
This replaced a Delta GR250 that bit the dust after about 5 hours of use.The Baldor is not cheap, but you'll leave it to the grandkids. I can't comment on the rests, as I've set this up with a OneWay Wolverine jig / rest kit. Good power tools almost fade in the background in use. You simply forget about the tool and complete your task. This grinder is one of those tools. You can actually forget it's running.I feel the Baldor is a great value. It's far from cheap, but the quality and utility is 100% there. My old grinder was simply cheap, and not a good value even at the low price.
This grinder is light years better than any Asian import grinder out there. The motor is vibration free and runs very strong for only 1/4 hp. The box was very solid with the grinder shrink wrapped to a piece of wood that was the same size as the bottom of the box.The shrink wrap had been torn around each grinding wheel. Since there was Amazon sales lititure in the box, I assume that the shipper at Amazon was checking for broken wheels. Since another reader complained of broken wheels, Amazon obviously reads customer reviews. Since this is a low speed grinder (1800 rpm), it is really intended for sharpening tool steel, lathe chisels, etc. There are only a few low speed grinders available so this is really a specialty grinder. If you just want a general purpose grinder for sharpening lawnmower blades and such, you probably would be happy with the Baldor Big Red, 1/3 h/p 6" grinder as it turns at 3600 rpm, is cheaper and still has the same great Baldor quality. The blade guards are heavy-duty cast iron and the exhaust chutes direct all of the waste out the back. This is a blessing or a curse depending on your perspective. The guards fit very close to the sides of the wheel so there would be maximum containment if a wheel were to disintegrate. The spark guards are very stout and adjust easily and stay put. The wheel guards on all the imports that I looked at other than the Jet 8" have flimsy sheet metal guards with flimsy, poorly adjustable tool rests. I would much rather have the Baldor's heavy-duty guards in place if a wheel disintegrates rather than one of the imports guards. I don't have a problem with the tools rests as one other reviewer did. They are very adjustable and very solid for what they are, basic tool rests. (If you are using this for sharpening lathe chisels, you will probably be installing an aftermarket jig anyway). I find them easy to adjust, just keep a wrench handy. My only real complaint was that the ground surfaces were protected by brown plastic packing tape. It required a razor blade and some solvent to get the adhesive off. All in all, a very minor complaint for such a high quality, solid machine. The eye shields are very solid. They are large and made of 3/16 Lexan and adjust quite nicely. They mount high and out of the way. Time will tell whether they will stay on the machine or I will take them off, but as long as they hold up to the harsh environment, I will use them. The eye shields on all of the imports were pitiful. The wheels included are high quality Norton Silicon Oxide general-purpose wheels. Not good for fine work like sharpening lathe chisels, but nice and round and balanced. Save them for sharpening your lawnmower blades and put on some Norton White Aluminum Oxide wheels for the fine work. I could have bought an import 8" or about three import 6"s for less than this high quality 6" but after reading reviews of the imports, and looking at them at the store, I know that I will not ever have to worry - "Is this going to be the time that it will give up the ghost" before flipping the switch. My grandkids will be able to use this tool, and my kid is only 2!
The Baldor arrived with a cracked wheel so the honeymoon was very short lived. Since sparks fly out the rear unabated (along with bits of wheel and tool) I bolted the grinder to a small plywood box I built to contain the sparks and other detritus that spins off any grinder and set it on a non skid mat. My main problem is with the tool rests. For this money I expect they should be solid and easy to adjust. They are neither. Unless I really crank them down, they will shift when pressing a tool down. Adjusting them with a wrench is difficult on a good day since the bolts are tucked down in between the wheels and the motor. I finally exchanged their bolts for some small plastic jig handles, so at least I can adjust them a little easier. Otherwise, the Baldor runs smoothly and quietly, now that I have unbroken wheels mounted. For such an otherwise well made machine, it was disappointing to find it such a pain to use.
Bit of a grinder junkie here. I actually like these gritty little things. Ok, so there's not much to a grinder. Spinning stones and sparks and what not but this Baldor sets itself apart from the rest of them by the balance and quality of the motor. You can use it for hours and the motor will never overheat and it's smooth as silk. It has reasonable heft so it stays put on the bench pretty well without bolting it down. The tool rests are ok for general grinding but as with most grinders you'll still need a jig to sharpen chisels and plane blades accurately. The wheel covers are cast, not sheet metal. The casting work is so-so but what the heck, everything fits. This Baldor is to grinders what Bridge City is to tools...you could make a case that it's overkill and something cheaper would do just as well. Nevertheless, there's just something about having quality.
115 Volts, 1 Phase, 60 Hz, supplied with 3 conductor cord and plug. 6" Grinding wheels - 6" x 3/4" x 1/2" Hole Furnished withGA10 eyeshields *Heavy-duty exhaust guard with 2" outlet.

ACCESSORIES:

Danray Products LLC LMP-24D 24-Inch Snake-Arm Lamp with Direct Mount Base and 6-Foot Cord, Gloss Black:http://speialdiscountfinder.info/ind...?id=B000FSK9P8
Danray Products LLC LMP-18D 18-Inch Snake-Arm Lamp with 6-Foot Cord, Gloss Black:http://speialdiscountfinder.info/ind...?id=B000FSRDG6