S.W. USA

Old March 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default S.W. USA

We want to go for a holiday to the south west part of USA. We want to go
with the whole family cause its our 25th wedding anniversary. We are with 5
persons almost all adults. Does anyone has suggestions about what to see. We
must make a choice about our transport. What is good renting a normal car
and stay in hotels, or is renting a camper a better thing to do and then
stay at campsites. We want to be there for about 24 days. Are there any
travelstories? looking forward for reactions.
Jos

Old March 6th, 2006, 06:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Jos en Dineke Welters" wrote:

We want to go for a holiday to the south west part of USA. We want to go
with the whole family cause its our 25th wedding anniversary. We are with 5
persons almost all adults. Does anyone has suggestions about what to see. We
must make a choice about our transport. What is good renting a normal car
and stay in hotels, or is renting a camper a better thing to do and then
stay at campsites. We want to be there for about 24 days. Are there any
travelstories? looking forward for reactions.

Can you specify what time of year you intend to come here, what types
of things you are interested in seeing, if you can handle long hikes
and/or large elevation gains, on foot, how experienced you are at
off-road camping, etc.?

You can also Google this group (try my name in advanced search)
because a great deal has been written on this subject here.

Caveat
Old March 6th, 2006, 07:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

nobody can answer this Q if you do not specify your interest. We just
returned from LAX, San Diego (Aircraft carrier), Tucson (Pima Air Museum,
tour to a million parked aircraft, Titan missile Museum and an open
coppermine), Alamogordo (via White Sands missile park), Air & Space Mus.,
Los Alamos (Atomic bomb mus's .), Albuquerque (Atomic mus.), Grand Canyon
(was unchanged) via many Route.66 strectches, Kingman (Route.66 mus.), Las
Vegas (Hoover Dam, Henderson county Mus., Atomic test Mus.and some shows
which showed girls who aged little over the last 35 years). Plenty of nature
(desert) along the route. Fuel $2,40 avg and FullSize car doing 28 miles
/Gallon.

With (young) kids we did the US tours by camper ( 8 miles/Gallon) and now we
stick to hotels. All PreBooked via Internet
--
Peter W.
. ..

Old March 6th, 2006, 07:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Jos en Dineke Welters wrote:
We want to go for a holiday to the south west part of USA. We want to go
with the whole family cause its our 25th wedding anniversary. We are with 5
persons almost all adults. Does anyone has suggestions about what to see. We
must make a choice about our transport. What is good renting a normal car
and stay in hotels, or is renting a camper a better thing to do and then
stay at campsites. We want to be there for about 24 days. Are there any
travelstories? looking forward for reactions.
Jos

There is an area loosely names the Grand Circle, which includes many
national and state parks with spectacular scenery. You may want to
check this out: www.grandcircle.org.

As to camper vs a van (a car is not big enough for 5 adults), it
depends on whether you want to camp for all 24 days. If you like
camping in a camper van, by all means do that. It'll save you money on
food and lodging.

Old March 7th, 2006, 03:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 19:42:10 +0100, "Jos en Dineke Welters"
wrote:

We want to go for a holiday to the south west part of USA. We want to go
with the whole family cause its our 25th wedding anniversary. We are with 5
persons almost all adults. Does anyone has suggestions about what to see. We
must make a choice about our transport. What is good renting a normal car
and stay in hotels, or is renting a camper a better thing to do and then
stay at campsites. We want to be there for about 24 days. Are there any
travelstories? looking forward for reactions.

The "Southwest" is defined many ways. Dallas, Texas, considers
itself as part of the southwest, a concept we Arizonans scoff at.
But at a minimum, the southwest would include part of western
Texas, the states of New Mexico and Arizona, and the southern
portions of Nevada, Utah and Colorado. And, arguably, that part
of California south of Tehachapi and Death Valley covering the
deserts south to Mexico. But not, curiously, the most southwest
part of the USA of all, San Diego and Los Angeles and evirons.

This is an enormous area. and involves a lot of driving. On the
other hand, driving is the only way to see the are adequately.

A camper could be interesting so long as you avoid the commercial
campgrounds as much as possible. There are wonderful places to
camp in the vast National Forests (where youcan actually pull off
anywhere you like save near developed campgrounds, whifh will
usually be rudimentary with table, fire pit, primitive toilet and
flat place to park or pitch a tent.

I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions of what to see and do.
Just be sure your planned trip is realistic.

Old March 7th, 2006, 04:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Jos en Dineke Welters" wrote in message
. ..
We want to go for a holiday to the south west part of USA. We want to go
with the whole family cause its our 25th wedding anniversary. We are with
5 persons almost all adults. Does anyone has suggestions about what to
see. We must make a choice about our transport. What is good renting a
normal car and stay in hotels, or is renting a camper a better thing to do
and then stay at campsites. We want to be there for about 24 days. Are
there any travelstories? looking forward for reactions.

On my website you can read the travelogue of my 2003 trip through
California, Utah, Arizona and Nevada.
http://www.travellersonline.net/eng/index.htm

Old March 7th, 2006, 06:59 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

PeterL wrote:

As to camper vs a van (a car is not big enough for 5 adults)

A Lincoln Town car certainly is, or the Ford equivalent, with plenty of
room for luggage.

George