Peace boat Oceanic in NYC !

Old June 26th, 2009, 03:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mr Met 06

Default Peace boat Oceanic in NYC !

I watch the Peace boat Oceanic the former Home lines and Star Ship
Oceanic come in to NYC yesterday she back in to the pier ,not many
ships do that .She was docked on the same pier as the Carnival
Triumph .And boy she looked small .She was only 39.000 ton"s and at
the time in the early 80"s she was i think the 5th largest cruise
ship. Our first ever cruise was on her .She was a NY bass cruise
ship from 1965 to 1985 .I think this may be her last call to NYC .And
it's good to see a cruise ship look like a cruise ship not another
floating box .Next to the 2 Carnival ships that were in port
yesterday ! She still has maybe the best lines of any ships of
today .She will be in NYC until Saturday at 12pm .I hoping to be there
tomorrow .I was at the pier in 1985 went she left Home Lines to become
the Star Ship Oceanic .There were a lot of loyal Oceanic fan"s there
also that day .

Long live the Oceanic may she live more years before going to scrap
yards !!
Old June 26th, 2009, 04:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_6_]

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 07:35:07 -0700 (PDT), Mr Met 06
wrote:

[...]

Ahhh the Big Red Boat! Premier was an underrated line. I recall
sailing on her the same day I had done a tour of the Disney Magic.
Disney was all plastic with Mickey's face everywhere. Oceanic was a
solid ship. You could feel her class as you walked up the gangway. No
the dining room didn't change colors, but the food was done by the
fabled Apollo Catering and the service was second to none. She even
had balconies!

Ahh. Thanks for the memories.
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Not only the oceanic,but also the doric, very classy boats

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old June 26th, 2009, 09:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

wrote:

I watch the Peace boat Oceanic the former Home lines

Hi Ken,

Unfortunately the US Coast Guard has detained the ship due to hull
damage. Apparently she has a small leak and 16 other minor
deficiencies. They are hoping she can be repaired by noon on Saturday.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mr Met 06

--

Hi Ray i was over to see her today .Oh that"s why that repair boat was
tied up along side of the Oceanic .The world ship port of NY branch
had a ship visit .But i wasn't pick this time sent in in to late .She
look OK but she"s showing her age now .It looks like Pullmenta left
alot of the Star Ship Oceanic on her .We cruised the Star ship Oceanic
2 times .There was not much left from the Home Lines Oceanic .Only
really the art in the stair well"s .And yes the Doric was a very nice
ship also we cruised her also .We did the Atlantic and the Hermic of
1986 .alot of people say the Atlantic was the down fall of Home
Lines .She wasn't really up to Home lines standards! By 87 Home lines
was not that good anymore .They didn"t try to keep up with the big
guy's ! Home lines was a very popular in the NJ NY area .During the
60"s and 70 "s you had to book out a year a head to get a cabin on
the Oceanic .But looking at her today tied of at the pier .kind of
brought a tear to my eye"s . Knowing they will never buield them like
that again ! She kind of the 57 Chevy of cruise ships !!!

Ken G...........
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Val Kraut

A great ship - my wife's famiily cruised on her in 1966 - parents
anniversary. We sailed in 1970. The ship was really something for the time
and still has some nice features of today's ships. Many fond memories of a
great ship.

Val Kraut

Old June 27th, 2009, 12:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mr Met 06

On Jun 26, 7:41*pm, "Val Kraut" wrote:
A great ship - my wife's famiily cruised on her in 1966 - parents
anniversary. We sailed in 1970. The ship was really something for the time
and still has some nice features of today's ships. Many fond memories of a
great ship.

* * * * * * * * * * Val Kraut

A blast from the past .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMNdDAeLAXc
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Mr Met 06" wrote in message

[...]

I think the Queen Mary 2 is probably built in the same league... just a much
more modern version.

You should look into the Labor Day weekend mini cruise on the QM2. You'd
LOVE that ship from a ship perspective.

--Tom

Old June 27th, 2009, 10:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message

Ahhh the Big Red Boat! Premier was an underrated line. I recall
sailing on her the same day I had done a tour of the Disney Magic.
Disney was all plastic with Mickey's face everywhere. Oceanic was a
solid ship. You could feel her class as you walked up the gangway. No
the dining room didn't change colors, but the food was done by the
fabled Apollo Catering and the service was second to none. She even
had balconies!

We had sailed on the Atlantic, under the 'Big Red Boat' with Premier Cruise
line. Likewise, we also had a great time; a very nice ship. At that time,
Premier was the official cruise line of Walt Disney World. Yet, it was not
hard to anticipate their future when Disney announced that they would be
building their own ships. Premier and that Disney tie-in went bye-bye, when
Disney started their own cruise line. Even though we have since sailed on
the Disney Magic for a 7-day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, and opted for
another 6-days at a Walt Disney World Resort itself (Port Orleans -
Riverside), we will always have found memories, and lots of pictures, of our
time on the Atlantic. But, in all honesty, nobody can do "Disney" better
than "Disney" itself. We even did a review and photo album(s), posted on
this newsgroup of the Disney Magic, yet many moons ago.

Smooth sailing to all...
John Sisker - SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll-free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

Old June 28th, 2009, 06:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mr Met 06

On Jun 27, 5:17*pm, "John Sisker" wrote:
"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Hi we were on the Star Ship Atlantic one Easter as back to back
cruises the other ship being the Veendam .When on the the Atlantic
they got the news for sure that Disney was starting a cruise line .The
crew new the end was in site !! It was kinda sad .The Premier ship we
didn"t cruise on was the Star ship Royal .We did the Majestic Atlantic
& Oceanic .Never did a cruise on Premier after Grey Hound sold
them ! And we love every cruise we did with then .We also did Disney
and like it .But for the price Premier was offering it was as good as
Disney !! A great family cruise line .We also did the American family
cruise line and liked it alot .But that didn"t last to long .it was
started by Bruce Nirenberg not sure of the spelling .He also started
Premier .They really started the Family cruises .Oh do you remember
when Carnival almost brought Premier ? But the sale fell thought .And
Carnival put 2 of there older ship in Port Con. ! Premier use the
piers up by jetty park .i don't think any line use's them piers
anymore .

Hay Ray the Oceanic is still in NYC .We drove by then tonight on our
was home from the Mets game .She look great all lit up .Have you hard
anything on when she will be setting off ?