Where to stay in Los Angeles

Old August 17th, 2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Stephen Clark

Default Where to stay in Los Angeles

Hello, I'm planning to spend four days (midweek) in LA soon. I'd like to do
all the usual tourist things. Particularly I'd like to visit Hollywood,
Venice Beach and Long Beach. I also like to vist modern and contemporary
galleries. I was thinking of getting accommodation in the Downtown area but
a colleague has said that this area can be a bit dead at night, so it may
not be the best place to stay. What other locations are good for a public
transit dependant tourist to consider? Thanks.

Old August 17th, 2007, 08:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

"Stephen Clark" wrote in message
Hello, I'm planning to spend four days (midweek) in LA soon. I'd like to
do all the usual tourist things. Particularly I'd like to visit Hollywood,
Venice Beach and Long Beach. I also like to vist modern and contemporary
galleries. I was thinking of getting accommodation in the Downtown area
but a colleague has said that this area can be a bit dead at night, so it
may

I can confirm that downtown LA is dead, and not just at night.

not be the best place to stay. What other locations are good for a public
transit dependant tourist to consider? Thanks.

Downtown Pasadena was busy when we went there, though I've
no idea how convenient the Metro is to suitable hotels.

Having said that, LA is not a very Transit friendly town and even
if you find a suitable hotel that is metro connected, you may find
that whatever attractions it is that you want to visit aren't.

tim

Old August 17th, 2007, 08:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PTravel[_1_]

"tim....." wrote in message

[...]

Pasadena is not, in the least, convenient to LA for a tourist.

West Los Angeles, Santa Monica or Studio City are well located. It is
correct, however, that LA public transport is terrible. Renting a car is
the best way to get around.

Old August 17th, 2007, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

"PTravel" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

[...]

Surely this will depend upon how convenient a hotel is to the Metro.

The metrol looks a rather good connection, less than 30 minute
journey, every 5/10/15 or 20 minutes until midnight.

Looks good enough to me.

tim

Old August 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Iceman

On Aug 17, 3:01 pm, "Stephen Clark" wrote:
Hello, I'm planning to spend four days (midweek) in LA soon. I'd like to do
all the usual tourist things. Particularly I'd like to visit Hollywood,
Venice Beach and Long Beach. I also like to vist modern and contemporary
galleries. I was thinking of getting accommodation in the Downtown area but
a colleague has said that this area can be a bit dead at night, so it may
not be the best place to stay. What other locations are good for a public
transit dependant tourist to consider? Thanks.

I stayed in downtown LA in 2004. I thought the downtown area was
interesting in itself (it has a lot of LA's oldest and most
interesting architecture), and was also a good base for seeing the
city by public transport, but it was pretty dead at night. The Metro
system can get you quickly to most places of interest within the city
itself (including Hollywood), but it doesn't run to the Westside (like
Beverly Hills and Santa Monica). IIRC it goes to Long Beach but not
Venice Beach.

If you don't mind renting a car, you might want to stay in Santa
Monica.

Old August 17th, 2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:08:38 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

"PTravel" wrote in message

Pasadena is not, in the least, convenient to LA for a tourist.

Surely this will depend upon how convenient a hotel is to the Metro.

The metrol looks a rather good connection, less than 30 minute
journey, every 5/10/15 or 20 minutes until midnight.

Looks good enough to me.

It's not so much a question of whether the Metro is convenient to
hotels in Pasadena, but whether the Metro is convenient to very
many places a tourist might want to go from Pasadena.

Old August 18th, 2007, 02:02 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Aug 17, 12:01 pm, "Stephen Clark" wrote:
Hello, I'm planning to spend four days (midweek) in LA soon. I'd like to do
all the usual tourist things. Particularly I'd like to visit Hollywood,
Venice Beach and Long Beach. I also like to vist modern and contemporary
galleries. I was thinking of getting accommodation in the Downtown area but
a colleague has said that this area can be a bit dead at night, so it may
not be the best place to stay. What other locations are good for a public
transit dependant tourist to consider? Thanks.

If price is no object, go for the Beverly Hilton at the western edge
of Beverly Hills; if price matters, find something else close to
Wilshire Blvd. but west of Highland Ave. Wilshire has the best bus
coverage of any major Blvd in L.A.

If night life is an issue, both Sunset Blvd and Melrose Ave in West
Hollywood are quite alive at night.

Old August 18th, 2007, 04:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"Stephen Clark" wrote:

Hello, I'm planning to spend four days (midweek) in LA soon. I'd like to do
all the usual tourist things. Particularly I'd like to visit Hollywood,
Venice Beach and Long Beach. I also like to vist modern and contemporary
galleries. I was thinking of getting accommodation in the Downtown area but
a colleague has said that this area can be a bit dead at night, so it may
not be the best place to stay. What other locations are good for a public
transit dependant tourist to consider? Thanks.

I suggest Venice Beach or Santa Monica.
Old August 18th, 2007, 07:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PTravel[_1_]

"tim....." wrote in message

"PTravel" wrote in message

"tim....." wrote in message

[...]

No, it does not. The Metro isn't particularly convenient for many, if not
most, of the things that tourists want to do, and Pasadena is far from the
LA attractions which are all west of the city.

The metrol looks a rather good connection, less than 30 minute
journey, every 5/10/15 or 20 minutes until midnight.

Looks good enough to me.

You clearly do not live in LA.

tim

Old August 18th, 2007, 07:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Becky[_2_]

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Stephen Clark" wrote:

Hello, I'm planning to spend four days (midweek) in LA soon. I'd like to
do
all the usual tourist things. Particularly I'd like to visit Hollywood,
Venice Beach and Long Beach. I also like to vist modern and contemporary
galleries. I was thinking of getting accommodation in the Downtown area
but
a colleague has said that this area can be a bit dead at night, so it may
not be the best place to stay. What other locations are good for a public
transit dependant tourist to consider? Thanks.

I suggest Venice Beach or Santa Monica.

Id second that, LOTS to do around that area within walking distance.

As for "What other locations are good for a public transit dependant tourist
to consider? "

Public transport in LA tends to be the car!! rent one for sure.