Breaking News

Old March 17th, 2004, 03:16 AM
MLL

Default Breaking News

"Jack May" wrote in message
news:HCN5c.27830$po.276760@attbi_s52...

"alohacyberian" wrote in message
Yeh, like when the next ice age arrives.

How can we have an ice age with all this global warming? KM

The biggest concern about global warming is that it will create an ice

age.
The increasing temperatures could change the currents in the Atlantic

ocean
where warm waters are pumped up to the artic. That is what happened

caused
the last ice age.

If the currents are changed, we could be in an ice age in only a few

years.

Another non-linear effect that is of great concern is the frozen gases on
the sea floor. I don't remember exactly what they are. The gasses could
quickly return to a gas state putting a lot of CO2 in the air producing a
run away green house effect.

The last time this happened many millions of years ago, the gasses alone
killed much of life on earth. We only discovered this mechanism a few

years
ago. There are probably other large step changes that could have a

dramatic
effect on the world.

I don't think anyone has a good handle on if or when the cataclysms could
happen.

It will happen when your first day of retirement begins.
"George, honey, come look at the pretty ice shield in the backyard. Look!
It's moving."
Then you'll wish you'd taken that vacation you postponed so many times!

Old March 17th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Jack May

"MLL" wrote in message
It will happen when your first day of retirement begins.
"George, honey, come look at the pretty ice shield in the backyard. Look!
It's moving."
Then you'll wish you'd taken that vacation you postponed so many times!

I took some vacation hours off today to get over a bug I picked up on my
business trip a few days ago

Old March 17th, 2004, 06:02 AM
JustTom

What about Madison, WI?

Also, will these city's allow motorcycles when the cars are outlawed?

"Joey Jolley" wrote in message
om...
Count on New York, San francisco, Los Angeles, Boise, Idaho, Denver,
Chicago, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Dallas, Fort Worth, Albequerque, New
Mexico, Seattle, Vancouver, BC, Canada, Winnpeg, Mantioba, Canada,
Louisville, KY, and all other Canadian and American cities to go
car-free sometime in the near future. In New Jersey, efforts are
underway to make the whole state car-free and dismantle all rural
towns in New Jersey and return them to wildlife habitat.

Old March 17th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Jack May

"JustTom" wrote in message

Also, will these city's allow motorcycles when the cars are outlawed?

Most motorcycle guys are great people and even have a modest if not exactly
a complete respect for the law. At the same time, some are just freaking
crazy. Outlawing motorcycles would be a rather unhealthy action by
legislators and their supporters :-)

Old March 17th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Stan de SD

"Jack May" wrote in message

"alohacyberian" wrote in message
Yeh, like when the next ice age arrives.

How can we have an ice age with all this global warming? KM

The biggest concern about global warming is that it will create an ice

age.
The increasing temperatures could change the currents in the Atlantic

ocean
where warm waters are pumped up to the artic. That is what happened

caused
the last ice age.

If the currents are changed, we could be in an ice age in only a few

years.

We have been having alternating warm and cold spells ever since time began.
All the Chicken Littles in a blind panic need to do some research regarding
the warm spell we had in the tenth and eleventh centuries, and the mini-Ice
Age that set in around the early part of the 17th. Vikings once colonized
Greenland and grew crops there, something that the eco-nuts overlook...

Old March 18th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Phil Hays

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:51:02 GMT, "Stan de SD"
wrote:

We have been having alternating warm and cold spells ever since time began.
All the Chicken Littles in a blind panic need to do some research regarding
the warm spell we had in the tenth and eleventh centuries, and the mini-Ice
Age that set in around the early part of the 17th. Vikings once colonized
Greenland and grew crops there, something that the eco-nuts overlook...

Vikings once colonized Greenland, but didn't grow crops there, unless
you count hay or seaweed as a crop. "The Greenland Vikings lived
mostly on dairy produce and meat, primarily from cows. The vegetable
diet of Greenlanders included berries, edible grasses, and seaweed,
but these were inadequate even during the best harvests."

http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/...uring_mwp.html

--
Phil Hays
Phil_hays at posting domain should work for email

Old March 18th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Jack May

wrote:

We have been having alternating warm and cold spells ever since time

began.
All the Chicken Littles in a blind panic need to do some research

regarding
the warm spell we had in the tenth and eleventh centuries, and the

mini-Ice
Age that set in around the early part of the 17th. Vikings once colonized
Greenland and grew crops there, something that the eco-nuts overlook...

Vikings once colonized Greenland, but didn't grow crops there, unless
you count hay or seaweed as a crop. "The Greenland Vikings lived
mostly on dairy produce and meat, primarily from cows. The vegetable
diet of Greenlanders included berries, edible grasses, and seaweed,
but these were inadequate even during the best harvests."

http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/...uring_mwp.html

The last I read is that we had to evolve into hunters (a couple of million
years ago?) because gathering of vegetable matter was not enough to sustain
life. Hunting was required to get enough calories to survive. This was
true even in jungles. Needing meat in Greenland is not necessarily an
indication of lack of adequate vegetation growth.

Old March 18th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Not the Karl Orff

wrote:

[...]

I have been reading something in last month's issue of the Smithsonian
Institute magazine. The inuit in greenland had dogs while the vikings
didn't. When the weather turned colder, agriculture became.... a
non--issue in greenland. the inuit survived because their dogs and
sleds could go on long long hunts for seals and whatever,