QM2 Cabin Selection Tips

Old April 30th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Jo-Ann

Default QM2 Cabin Selection Tips

Can somebody tell me if there is a difference in interior space
between the Cat. B5 balcony cabins and the Cat. B2 balcony cabins
(Deluxe vs. Premium). I know the Cat. B2's have the larger,
plexiglass railing and the B5's have the steel hull opening. But I
wondered if there was any difference whatsoever in the interior of the
cabin itself?

BTW, I should have known Tom K. wouldn't be enamored of this ship.
We've booked it. Just goes to show there is consistency in our r.t.c.
relationship; he never seems to like any ship I choose!LOL

Jo-Ann
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:04 AM
JER Racer

Can somebody tell me if there is a difference in interior space
between the Cat. B5 balcony cabins and the Cat. B2 balcony cabins
(Deluxe vs. Premium). I know the Cat. B2's have the larger,
plexiglass railing and the B5's have the steel hull opening. But I
wondered if there was any difference whatsoever in the interior of the
cabin itself?

BTW, I should have known Tom K. wouldn't be enamored of this ship.
We've booked it. Just goes to show there is consistency in our r.t.c.
relationship; he never seems to like any ship I choose!LOL

Jo-Ann

There is no difference between the interior space of the B cabins. The
location and the balcony configuration are the differences. Avoid those on
deck 8 because they have obstructed views. I had acabin on deck 4 and it was
very nice. However, if you are doing transatlantic, you may want to get a
cabin above deck 8. If the weather gets rough, the cabins on decks 4 and 5 get
very wet with sea spray. We were fortunate on the maiden voyage to have a lot
of great weather, so it was not an issue. Any other questions, just ask.
Regards,
Jim

Old April 30th, 2004, 02:08 AM
Tom & Linda

"Jo-Ann" wrote in message
m...
Can somebody tell me if there is a difference in interior space
between the Cat. B5 balcony cabins and the Cat. B2 balcony cabins
(Deluxe vs. Premium). I know the Cat. B2's have the larger,
plexiglass railing and the B5's have the steel hull opening. But I
wondered if there was any difference whatsoever in the interior of the
cabin itself?

BTW, I should have known Tom K. wouldn't be enamored of this ship.
We've booked it. Just goes to show there is consistency in our r.t.c.
relationship; he never seems to like any ship I choose!LOL

Jo-Ann

Actually... you're reading my comments wrong. I'd probably love the ship.
High level of elegance. Pampering. Nice, elegant decor. Exactly what I
want from cruise.

I could see myself being very enamored with the ship. Just not the hype.

I just don't by into the hype that this ship is some level of greatness for
mankind like ships like Titanic were.

She's a vacation ship. Not a level of achievement for mankind like Titanic.

--Tom

Old April 30th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Linsifer

But, Tom, we all know that the QM2 will be around a lot longer than the
Titanic. I compare the Titanic to James Dean. Wonderful while they lasted.

Lindsay

Old April 30th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Tom & Linda

Tom wrote:

I just don't by into the hype that this ship is some level of greatness

for
mankind like ships like Titanic were.

She's a vacation ship. Not a level of achievement for mankind like

Titanic.

--Tom

Titanic and her fellow ships back then were among the grandest achievements
of mankind at the time. The ship wasn't long lasting. But she was a
pinnacle of achievement for the human race back then.

QM2 might be around longer... but she'll never be a pinnacle of achievement
for modern man.

--Tom

Old May 1st, 2004, 12:36 AM
Jo-Ann

Tom, I'm planning on sailing on the QM2 with very realistic
expectations. Yes, it's costing us more than any other cruise has,
but then again, we're sailing an 11-night sailing, which we've never
done before either. I don't expect it to live up to the hype it's
been given; thinking it could would just lead to major disappointment,
I fear.

I booked this cruise this past Tuesday, which was the one year
anniversary of my brother's death. He and his wife were married
onboard the original Queen Mary (docked in Long Beach, CA) 10 years
ago. My brother was so in love with the original QM that I feel our
sailing on her is almost like a tribute to him. You can be sure one of
the first things we will do after boarding her will be to raise a
glass to toast the memory of my beloved brother.
He and his wife never actually cruised; but he could tell you
everything there was to know about the QM. I only wish he was able to
experience a cruise in his short lifetime.

I think the press given the QM2 is nice and I must admit I am
devouring every bit of information I can get my hands on, but I'm not
necessarily buying into the hype.

Jo-Ann
\
Tom & Linda" wrote in message .net...
m...

Old May 1st, 2004, 04:32 AM
Tom & Linda

But they're not comparing a lot of things to Titanic. The discussion is
around QM2.

I'm just saying why I don't think it's even remotely close to being in
Titanic's league.

--Tom

Old May 1st, 2004, 04:41 AM
Tom & Linda

"Jo-Ann" wrote in message
om...
Tom, I'm planning on sailing on the QM2 with very realistic
expectations.

I've never gone on Cunard, but looking at pictures of the QE2 over the
years... it strikes me as a very refined, very formal (dressy) type
experience.

I think it's probably something that our daughter would like... given her
Lord & Taylor tastes.

It's probably also a ship that I would love. Specifically the interior
designs and all the artwork onboard (since I love to paint). Though I don't
think I'd like the "crossing" experience.

Yes, it's costing us more than any other cruise has,
but then again, we're sailing an 11-night sailing, which we've never
done before either. I don't expect it to live up to the hype it's
been given; thinking it could would just lead to major disappointment,
I fear.

I booked this cruise this past Tuesday, which was the one year
anniversary of my brother's death. He and his wife were married
onboard the original Queen Mary (docked in Long Beach, CA) 10 years
ago. My brother was so in love with the original QM that I feel our
sailing on her is almost like a tribute to him. You can be sure one of
the first things we will do after boarding her will be to raise a
glass to toast the memory of my beloved brother.

Very nice touch.

--Tom

He and his wife never actually cruised; but he could tell you
everything there was to know about the QM. I only wish he was able to
experience a cruise in his short lifetime.

I think the press given the QM2 is nice and I must admit I am
devouring every bit of information I can get my hands on, but I'm not
necessarily buying into the hype.

Jo-Ann
\
Tom & Linda" wrote in message

.net...
m...

Old May 1st, 2004, 04:43 AM
Benjamin Smith

Jo-Ann wrote:

Tom, I'm planning on sailing on the QM2 with very realistic
expectations. Yes, it's costing us more than any other cruise has,
but then again, we're sailing an 11-night sailing, which we've never
done before either. I don't expect it to live up to the hype it's
been given; thinking it could would just lead to major disappointment,
I fear.

Jo-Ann,

This is a new ship from Cunard. It does not run like the QE2, the crew
isn't used to this massive ship and won't be for awhile. John
Maxtone-Graham, who wrote the inaugural book for this ship, and has
sailed and wrote about ships since the 1930s, gave a presentation of the
ship today that I attended. From his presentation it is clear that the
connections with the other Queens are undeniable, and you *felt* it in
his presentation. This ship is young, young, young, and there is no way
that the service onboard the ship can be judged this early on. The
thing that can be judged is the ship. Does she have a Cunard air? Do the
staterooms work? Does the traffic flow work? How's her seakeeping? Where
are the bottlenecks in her design? Are there any wind tunnels on deck?
How are her balconies? Do the walls creak? Does she vibrate excessively?
Is she sensitive to winds? Is she finished well?

But, I think you may look at the ship and either you'll feel something
or you won't. Not everybody feels something onboard sailing vessels. For
some they are for entertainment, others a form of vacation, still others
a treasured way of life that has a heart and soul and special unique
feel that is not reproduced anywhere else. For some Cunard ships have a
definite lineage that can be felt entering onboard some of them. You
already have an emotional connection to the ship, and you may feel
something. I'm curious if you do. I'm not that interested in food,
service, entertainment, the usual product report aspects. That can be
adjusted and improved upon. If they screwed up aspects of the ship,
that's a let down that can't be easily adjusted.

The ship may live up to the hype. The cruise onboard her can't. It's too
early. And it is a class via dining room ship, and has some (small)
restricted areas just for grill pax. She may give different cruises for
each class in some ways.

btw, I don't necessarily agree with Tom that Titanic was a pinnacle
achievement for mankind. I think the Titanic is overhyped as a great
ship, certainly there were greater ships than the Titanic. And the QM 2
may turn out to be something great in the ship world in the future,
right now it is worth talking about, IMO. Hype is hype. So much is
overhyped today. I'm glad to see interest in an opulent, traditional
ship rather than so many other things that are overhyped.

Ben S.

[...]

. com...