Cell Phones on Deck!

Old March 1st, 2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Cell Phones on Deck!

Hi Everyone,

I saw this short article on the Business 2.0 web site that reports on
the status of cell phone availability on cruise ships.
http://tinyurl.com/k8974
If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are available on my
web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 06:34:22 -0800, Ray Goldenberg wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I saw this short article on the Business 2.0 web site that reports on
the status of cell phone availability on cruise ships.

how pathetic. If you're going to spend your time yapping on the phone,
you might as well just stay home.

Do you also have a report on which cruise lines are best for staying
in your room, drunk, watching TV?

Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

AZ Nomad wrote:

Do you also have a report on which cruise lines are best for staying
in your room, drunk, watching TV?

We need cruise ships that focus on business clients, with free high
speed internet and free telephone in cabins, plus a Kinko's and
helicopter FedEx service.

Heck, I'd never notice that floating office going anywhere...

Ike
Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 17:01:58 -0800, Ike wrote:

AZ Nomad wrote:

Do you also have a report on which cruise lines are best for staying
in your room, drunk, watching TV?

We need cruise ships that focus on business clients, with free high
speed internet and free telephone in cabins, plus a Kinko's and
helicopter FedEx service.

Oh, absolutely. Then you can put the businessslaves in a locked room at
port and leave without them. Tell them upon returning what a wonderfull
time they had.

Heck, I'd never notice that floating office going anywhere...

Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:32 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article , Mary
wrote:

I will be a sad day indeed if they introduce this...............some
people can't leave their business behind for anything, If you can't go
on a cruise and enjoy yourself without using a telephone then stay at
home and go on some corporate bonding excursion or something.

I isn't a sad day. It is the twenty first century. Get used to it. And
people use cell phones to reach family when away. I check on my mother
who is in her eighties.

--
Charles
Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
I isn't a sad day. It is the twenty first century. Get used to it. And

people use cell phones to reach family when away. I check on my mother
who is in her eighties.

--
Charles

I think the concern is because many folks who use cell phones show very
little consideration for others. Certainly using a cell phone in a discrete
manner that doesn't impinge on the enjoyment of others isn't a concern.
It's more related to the rude clowns who insist on yelling into their
cellphones
in public.

Pete

Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Mary" wrote

I will be a sad day indeed if they introduce this...............some
people can't leave their business behind for anything, If you can't go
on a cruise and enjoy yourself without using a telephone then stay at
home

FWIW, I work when I am on a cruise. During the week I'll spend maybe 8 to
12 hours working. I usually spend about $200 on internet access (unless I
am on Princess where it is free). Would I use a cell phone on a cruise?
Probably but when I work, I do so in an appropriate place (like the
internet center), not at the pool. There is a time and place for
everything.

Does working a few hours during a cruise make me a "dickhead"? I doubt it.
I have other redeeming attributes that might qualify me for that title, but
working during a cruise isn't one of them.

BTW - the people I really feel sorry for are the people who hate their jobs
so much that they feel they have to escape from them. What I do for a
living is just as much a part of my life as breathing and eating and I love
what I do and I am good at it.

My job goes where I go.... I take it willingly... there is no need to escape
something you love.

YMMV

--
George Leppla http://www.countryside-travel.com

Cruise Specials BLOG http://www.countryside-travel.com/3834677_6105.htm
May 20, 2006, Caribbean Princess - http://cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 29, 2006 - SLEAZY 4! http://cruisemaster.com/sleazy4.htm

Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"George Leppla" wrote in
:

[...]

While I enjoy getting away and wonder about the guys who are hooked to
their laptops while drinking theri morning coffee, I find, that I am one
of the first to pick up the phone to call a client when I see land!
Cruising is changing, the world is changing, better? maybe not, but much
more convenient, I used to have to leave detailed instructions and piles
of files when I left town, now I just say, "Call me, just make it a
reasonable hour where I am."

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I saw this short article on the Business 2.0 web site that reports on
the status of cell phone availability on cruise ships.
http://tinyurl.com/k8974
If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are available on my
web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

I was on Sovereign of the Seas in January and they were installing a
ship-board network for cell phone coverage.

Please keep in mind that the cruise lines are going to charge for this
service. At a premium rate, I'm sure.....