What are the best and worst cruise lines?

Old March 15th, 2006, 07:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default What are the best and worst cruise lines?

Which ones do you love and which ones don't you care for? If you can,
could you please rank them? I'm curious to see which cruise lines are
considered the best and which ones are at the botom of the barrel?

Thanks.

Old March 15th, 2006, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

The cow and I prefer HAL, especially the Zoiuderdamn!
"Ike" wrote in message
Which ones do you love and which ones don't you care for? If you can,
could you please rank them? I'm curious to see which cruise lines are
considered the best and which ones are at the botom of the barrel?

Thanks.

We've been on only two cruises in our three decades of marriage, and the
most recent was in Feb on Holland America. However, we met a lot of people
on that trip, and since we've decided to do 2-4 cruises a year now that
we're sliding into retirement we asked your question of many people with
cruise experience. The answers surprised me.

We were told that there are no bad cruise lines - it's darwinian, and bad
things don't survive. You generally get what you pay for, and if you do
some homework you will get your money's worth. Find a TA that will ask the
right questions, and do NOT just go by route|days|price, because you can
easily book on a ship that doesn't match personal tastes. You don't want
to find yourself on a cruise full of rockin' teens, rock bands, rock
climbing walls, and rock cocaine if you're 75, mostly interested in the
waltz and fine dining, etc.

For us (active 60s), HAL is a perfect balance and a fine value. We see no
reason to experiment for quite a while.

Ike

Old March 16th, 2006, 01:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

We love princess,hal,and celebrity,ncl so-so bottom of the barrel
CARNIVAL

(.a cruise lover.)

Old March 16th, 2006, 04:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hi
Delurking here.
Dawn Princess May 03, 10 day Hawaiian, elegant and excellent service, good
food after the first 2 days, but never again as 80 % of passengers were 60 +
and most activities catered to this age group. Hubby & I are in our mid
40's -50's and young at heart. The few teens on board during the 5 sea days
up to Vancouver took to pressing buttons on elevators to alleviate
boredom.It was too cold to sit outside.

Carnival Triumph Jan 04, 7 day Western, bad layout of ship, bad cabin
service, saw the cabin steward once, good food and dining service, more
action and activities, families on board.

Celebrity Century Feb 05, 7 day Eastern, classic ship but never again after
being awakened by the engines several times in the wee hours, noise just
about tossed you out of bed, good cabin service, excellent dining service.
Food okay but fish entrees much of the time salty and overcooked. Surprised
at the number of kids on board. I thought Celebrity was less of a family
line.

Carnival Legend Mar 06, 8 day Southern Caribbean, again we choose Carnival
since we wanted an active party boat with young adults to liven things up
but we were disppointed. Age group was primarily 55+, few children and young
adults. Low key cruise. Husband was bored and is rethinking cruising for
next winter.

Any recommendations as to ensure we end up on a activity filled party boat.
I thought Carnival was the one to go with but after our experience on the
Legend I really don't know.I thought I read somewhere that the southern
cruises tend towards an older crowd. Should we stick to the west/east
cruises? What's a Panama cruise like?

Roseanne (cruise addicted)
ups.com...

Old March 16th, 2006, 05:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

foggydoggy wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Which ones do you love and which ones don't you care for? If you can,
could you please rank them? I'm curious to see which cruise lines are
considered the best and which ones are at the botom of the barrel?

Thanks.

If having younger folks on your cruise is a priority, you need to take
cruises that are 7 days or less, and cruise when schools are out. Of
course you'll have to deal with lots of kids.

Bill

--
Visit my Caribbean Princess website:
www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

For someone who cares little for fine cuisine, opulent accommodations, and
such, someone with a simple lifestyle, Silverseas, Regent, Crystal, and
other luxury lines may be the bottom of the barrel. For those who have an
active lifestyle, enjoy an electric atmosphere and enjoy the dining
experience, Carnival may be the best. Best and worst in this case are
highly subjective and heavily dependent on personal likes and dislikes.

Charlie

ups.com...

Old March 16th, 2006, 09:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

FOGGYDOGGY:
you may be in your forty's now,but some day you will be in your 50's &
60's,guess people will complain about you being so old on a cruise ship.

(.a cruise lover.)

Old March 17th, 2006, 03:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"foggydoggy" wrote in message

Any recommendations as to ensure we end up on a activity filled party
boat. I thought Carnival was the one to go with but after our experience
on the Legend I really don't know.I thought I read somewhere that the
southern cruises tend towards an older crowd. Should we stick to the
west/east cruises? What's a Panama cruise like?

Most Canal sailings are longer than 7 days. And almost all sailings longer
than 7 day attract an older crowd.

For a more active ship, look for Royal Caribbean's Voyager Class ships.

--Tom

Old March 17th, 2006, 03:49 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Tom K wrote:

Most Canal sailings are longer than 7 days. And almost all sailings longer
than 7 day attract an older crowd.

Even our 10 day round trip Canal sailing was very dead. It was a very
old crowd and everything closed down early.

For a more active ship, look for Royal Caribbean's Voyager Class ships.

Good advice!

sue