Dunn's River Falls

Old March 4th, 2006, 08:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Dunn's River Falls

Also, Only in Jamaica ..... while walking down the pier do you see a
quarter of the people who just got off the ship returning disgusted with
the locals that they refuse to go ashore. The locals mob you when you
enter the taxi area. They act like they haven't eatten in months and
your carrying a 6 foot sub. Thats how they attack you. There are only
so many times you can say no before you stop saying it or you get ****ed
off. Does the taxi driver at the far end of the parking lot who asks if
you need a taxi think the other 300 drivers you just walked thru didn't
ask?

Old March 4th, 2006, 09:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Ya know this Jamaica bashing is getting ridiculous.
I'll bet most of the bashers have never even been there.
Let's call it a day and quit wasting time.
If you don't like it and are Scared to go there, just don't go.
It's just less traffic for me.

Old March 5th, 2006, 04:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Lee Lindquist :

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 00:02:20 GMT, Earl Colby Pottinger
wrote:

(DaFlaBear) :

Ya know this Jamaica bashing is getting ridiculous.
I'll bet most of the bashers have never even been there.
Let's call it a day and quit wasting time.
If you don't like it and are Scared to go there, just don't go.
It's just less traffic for me.

I have to agree. I never had any of the type of problems as described

here.

Problems yes, but none any worse than walking downtown Toronto and dealing
with beggers there or going to a flea-market on the first day it opens.

When
in Jamaica if you don't want to buy make you 'no' mean 'no' and just go.

If
you are scared because of thier skin colour the problem is in you not

them,
just go they will not stop you.

Apparently, when they have guns, they will stop you.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...e=source&hl=en

What does this have to do with pushy sales people? Nothing! It clearly was
a planned robbery and you can find that just about anywhere in the world
where the tourists are a lot richer than the local population. Infact, you
can find tons of this in old New York City police records, and there are more
rich Newyorkers in the city than rich tourists.

Again, the discussion was on how to handle pushy Jamaican sales people (yes
that includes avoiding the island which I consider the wrong solution, but it
is a solution too).

Again, I say - let your no mean 'NO', or if you really want to buy something
let you 'I'll back' mean what you say, the bargins you will get on the prices
of items is worth the extra browsing time.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
Cruising, building a Catamaran, Rebuilding Cabin, New Peroxide Still Design,
Writting SF, Programming FOSS - What happened to the time?
Old March 5th, 2006, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In Montago Bay last year just before departure a marching band played
and performed while children performed on the dock. Everyone was on
their balcony enjoying the show. Money was flying off the ship to the
dock below from every open deck. Coins and Bills were all being
thrown. The children were all so appreciative. As the ship pulled away
from the pier the children all waved and the band played on. I have
never seen anything even close to this happen in Ocho Rios. This is a
time I didn't mind just throwing away a few dollars.

Old March 14th, 2006, 06:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 10:22:14 -0500, (RICK DAVIS)
wrote:

The courtesy of spending a few bucks? Isn't that why I pay port
charges. What about the tours I purchase and go on? I usually don't
book ships tours unless I need to take a boat diving. If tourism is
their only income I would think they would do a better job of not
****ing off, insulting, offending and strong arming the tourists. By
the way tourism is not the only income on that island. How about the
coffee? I sure they are always looking for coffee bean pickers.

You would be wrong.

Even
when you do purchase something is one of the stores the sales people act
like your an inconvenience in their day by making them work. If you
like Jamaica go there and spend a week and spend all your money there.
From past posts on this NG you would be in the minority of liking and
defending the actions of the locals. I don't feel I am under any
obligation to just hand over a "few bucks". Most of them reek of pot.
They seem to have money for that. There are alot of other islands where
tourism is their only industry (Aruba for one) and they don't insult,
offend and strong arm the tourists. Only in Jamaica man. I find it
ironic that the country slogan is "don't worry be happy man" and yet I
always leave that island tense and ****ed off. Always happy to leave.
I have never once said I wish I could stay longer. You are entitled to
your opinion but I find Jamaica as far as possible from being a
paradise.

Old March 14th, 2006, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 06:49:19 -0500, Lee Lindquist wrote:

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 00:02:20 GMT, Earl Colby Pottinger
wrote:

(DaFlaBear) :

Ya know this Jamaica bashing is getting ridiculous.
I'll bet most of the bashers have never even been there.
Let's call it a day and quit wasting time.
If you don't like it and are Scared to go there, just don't go.
It's just less traffic for me.

I have to agree. I never had any of the type of problems as described here.

Problems yes, but none any worse than walking downtown Toronto and dealing
with beggers there or going to a flea-market on the first day it opens. When
in Jamaica if you don't want to buy make you 'no' mean 'no' and just go. If
you are scared because of thier skin colour the problem is in you not them,
just go they will not stop you.

Apparently, when they have guns, they will stop you.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...e=source&hl=en

For Christ's sake, there are criminals everywhere.
Thumper