Car Hire Insurance - Excess Cover Policy ?

Old September 4th, 2004, 12:31 AM

Default Car Hire Insurance - Excess Cover Policy ?

Cross posted.

I seem to recall seeing mention in one of the Sunday Papers
Travel/Motoring sections a response to a letter that suggested that at
least one insurance company offered policy to specifically cover any Car
Hire Excess. I can't seem to get very far searching the web or
newsgroups archives.

I have seen mention of somebody annual travel Insurance covering for
excess but I was really just looking for separate policy for excess
only.

Does such a thing exist ? Any help, pointers and so on much appreciated.

Old September 4th, 2004, 04:10 AM
trk

most credit cards will cover this
most travel insurance covers this
but be careful and check with both these (there is sometimes a clause that
says "only valid if you have taken out all available insurance from the car
hire company")
most car hire firms will sell you a separate policy to cover the excess
better still if you will be anywhere near France - lease a brand new vehicle
from Renault or Peugot - they come with fully comprehensive insurance - no
excess

Old September 4th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Elio

ha scritto nel messaggio
Cross posted.

I seem to recall seeing mention in one of the Sunday Papers
Travel/Motoring sections a response to a letter that suggested that at
least one insurance company offered policy to specifically cover any Car
Hire Excess. I can't seem to get very far searching the web or
newsgroups archives.

I have seen mention of somebody annual travel Insurance covering for
excess but I was really just looking for separate policy for excess
only.

Does such a thing exist ? Any help, pointers and so on much appreciated.

Check these websites. Probably what you are looking for:
http://www.insurance4carhire.com/index2.asp?ref=122
http://www.carhirecover.com/
Elio

Old September 4th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Alec

"trk" wrote in message
most credit cards will cover this

Usually only US-issued gold and platinum cards.

most travel insurance covers this

UK policies don't.

but be careful and check with both these (there is sometimes a clause that
says "only valid if you have taken out all available insurance from the

car
hire company")
most car hire firms will sell you a separate policy to cover the excess
better still if you will be anywhere near France - lease a brand new

vehicle
from Renault or Peugeot - they come with fully comprehensive insurance -

no
excess

Not available to EU residents. OP is from UK.

Alec

Old September 4th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Keith Willshaw

wrote in message
Cross posted.

I seem to recall seeing mention in one of the Sunday Papers
Travel/Motoring sections a response to a letter that suggested that at
least one insurance company offered policy to specifically cover any Car
Hire Excess. I can't seem to get very far searching the web or
newsgroups archives.

I have seen mention of somebody annual travel Insurance covering for
excess but I was really just looking for separate policy for excess
only.

Does such a thing exist ? Any help, pointers and so on much appreciated.

The American Express Premier plus policies offer
excess cover BUT its for North American rentals
only. If renting in Europe or Australia you will have
to purchase such cover from the rental company.

Keith