No FAA Sticker on US Carseats Anymore?

Old December 13th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Paula

Default No FAA Sticker on US Carseats Anymore?

I want to fly with my son and his carseat on Continental, and I was
worried about this because my Canadian-made carseat does not have a
red 'FAA Sticker' on it (and I am told they check for that sticker).
I was under the impression that all US Carseats had this big red
FAA-Approved stamp on them.

BUT, when I went to look at the carseats sold in the U.S., they have
almost the exact same type of language on the carseat as Canadian
carseats to indicate that it is certified for air travel - "This CRS
conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
This restraint is certified for use in Motor Vehciles and Aircraft".
Canadian seats say the exact same thing but instaed of "Federal" Motor
Vehicle Safety Standards", it reads "Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety
Standards".

I was concerned about using my Canadian-seat on Continental because I
know someone that was not allowed to use the seat because it lacked
the "FAA Approved" sticker. This was over a year ago, though.

Not sure if the lack of a sticker has changed with recent carseat
manufacturing. Perhaps FAA rules have changed or become more specific
recently? After reading FAA documentation and seeing that the seat
labelling is almost identical, I am positive I can use my carseat on
any US airline (as long as I have purchased a seat and labelling is
FAA compliant, they CANNOT prevent me from using it). Now, that
doesn't mean I am not going to get hassle, arguments, stress,
shouting, etc. I'll be prepared for that, and also get out all my FAA
documentation. I am sure that will intimidate them enough to shut up
if I get any crap.

Does anyone know if U.S. made carseats used to have a sticker on them
saying "FAA-approved"? If so, when did they stop putting the sticker
on the seats?

Thanks,
Paula
Old December 13th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Tracey

"Paula" wrote in message
m...
I want to fly with my son and his carseat on Continental, and I was
worried about this because my Canadian-made carseat does not have a
red 'FAA Sticker' on it (and I am told they check for that sticker).
I was under the impression that all US Carseats had this big red
FAA-Approved stamp on them.

None of our carseats have had this sticker, but there is a different one
like you mention below (Cosco infant carrier and a Britax Wizard). The one
time we flew with a carseat, nobody ever even looked at the carseat.

Old December 14th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Paula wrote:

Does anyone know if U.S. made carseats used to have a sticker on them
saying "FAA-approved"? If so, when did they stop putting the sticker
on the seats?

They certainly did have such a sticker--we've had it
checked in the past. Don't know when/if they stopped using
it.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old December 14th, 2004, 01:49 AM
vite Francia

"Paula" wrote in message
m...

I was concerned about using my Canadian-seat on Continental because I
know someone that was not allowed to use the seat because it lacked
the "FAA Approved" sticker. This was over a year ago, though.

Wow. Deja vu.

15 seconds at Google digs up:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...d+safety+seats
http://saferidenews.com/html/Airplane_Eng.htm