Live in Europe?

Old July 20th, 2004, 01:31 PM
jm

Default Live in Europe?

You are correct Evelyn.

john

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:33:19 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

JohnT wrote:

"jm" wrote in message

If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input!

john

Can we assume that you know that you will need a Visa and that you can at least
get by in the language of your chosen Country?

Given the above, the choice is, of course, subjective but you could consider -

Spain
France
Croatia

I assumed the OP was taking a sort of survey of the countries WE (the
respondents) would like to live in, not asking our advise as to where HE
should go!

JohnT

Old July 20th, 2004, 01:32 PM
jm

Thanks for your thoughtful comments Dominique. I appreciate it!

john

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:32:23 +0200, Dominique Foucart
wrote:

Le 19/07/2004, jm a supposé :
If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input!

john

I would probably recommend Belgium:
- central to all places in Europe
- administratively at the core of the EU and NATO, which means that a
lot of people here are speaking english as their first, second or third
language
- compared to Paris (1.5 hours by train) or London (2h20m by train) the
cost of life is way cheaper
- you get all the cultural, social and entertainment opportunities in
the major cities (Brussels, Antwerpen, Liège)
- it is host of one of the largest immigration community in europe.

The bias to this description: I live there since 47 years...

Welcome home,

Dominique

--
Dominique Foucart
Brussels, Capital City of European Community

Old July 20th, 2004, 01:37 PM
jm

Ah, a lady after my own heart!

London is good for many reasons but a bit too expensive for myself.
The ROH itself not to mention the occasional visit to the ENO would
certainly be a plus.

Vienna is a wonderful place. My somewhat frequent visits to the VSO
have left me with some fabulous memories of works done the right way!

Paris, I would not live in if they paid ME ! Like a friend of mine
says, "the only thing wrong with Paris is the Parisiens." My
experience dictates that I agree totally with this. Now, living in
Avignon or Arles and taking the train to Paris for a day to hear a
performance is fine! Live there? Now way in hades!

Thanks for your input Evelyn!

john

P.S. The performance of Le Prophete I heard a few years back at the
VSO was probably the most fulfilling evening I had spent in an opera
house in years!

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:30:43 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

jm wrote:

If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input!

1) England (mainly because I speak the language, but near enough to
London for frequent trips to ROH)
2) Austria (near enough to Vienna to attend the opera frequently)
3) France (near enough to Paris for ditto)

Old July 20th, 2004, 01:39 PM
jm

I agree on the speakign English comment Walter. I have found this in
may parts of Europe. I have spent a fair amount of time in Zurich and
Frankfort for business reasons and have never had a problem
communicating.

Thanks for your comments.

john

On 20 Jul 2004 00:14:38 -0700, (walter) wrote:

If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider?

1) Northern half of Italy. Landscape, culture, relaxed way of living.
2) Sweden, if you go only for a summer.
3) Germany, if you don't want to learn the language before you start.
Almost everyone older than 10 years speaks english.

Walter

Old July 20th, 2004, 01:40 PM
jm

Thanks for your input ---- appreciate it!

john

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:33:24 +0200, "Kaitsu"
wrote:

"jm" wrote in message
If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

Top 3
Switzerland (german part)
Southern Germany
Belgium
Netherlands

Okay there are four but couldn't decide between Belgium and Netherlands. Why
these countries? Climate is quite nice. Location is good. People are okay.
Customer service in shops, restaurants, garages, etc is good, even if you
don't speak the same language.

Low 3
France
People are so unfriendly that I wouldn't live there. There is no customer
service. I think there are no such word in French ;-) If you want to buy
anything it takes forever. Even buying food from supermarkets takes forever.
And the client is always wrong. No one cares about rules, laws or
regulations. It's like third world country if you look how people act. If
you don't speak _fluent_ French, forget it. No one cares about other people.
If you like extremely selfish people, move to France.

Italy
Too relaxed way of life for me. A bit same as France but the generally the
customer service is a bit better and people are more friendly. But for
everyday life it's bit too "relaxed". Anyway, it's a nice country as a
holiday destination.

Britain
Why? Location and the climate. Otherwise it would be just fine.

Old July 20th, 2004, 01:41 PM
jm

Thaks John --- I will check out your site. I appreciate your input!

john

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:23:29 GMT, John Bermont
wrote:

jm wrote:
If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input!

john

I would select France, Holland, and Belgium, in that order.

Before you move over have a look at my page
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap22/living.htm.
I've lived in Europe several times and this chapter from my book
recounts many items of interest.

John Bermont
* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old July 20th, 2004, 01:42 PM
a.spencer3

jm wrote:
If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input!

But it surely does depend on *what* you want.
Climate? Economy? All mod cons? Wonderful people? History? Scenery?
Very unfortunately, they don't all tend to come in the same package!

Surreyman

Old July 20th, 2004, 01:52 PM

wrote:

jm wrote:

If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input!

1) England (mainly because I speak the language, but near enough to
London for frequent trips to ROH)
2) Austria (near enough to Vienna to attend the opera frequently)
3) France (near enough to Paris for ditto)

None of the above. Pick any Scandinavian country where everyone
speaks English (much more distinguishable I might add than in
England), the standard of living very high, and the European arrogance
and incompetence factor low.
Old July 20th, 2004, 01:57 PM

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:18:59 +0200, "Kaitsu"
wrote:

"Magda" wrote in message
A friend of mine, who has been living in France for two years, said

exactly the same to me
yesterday. But I see none of that; we don't live in the same France !

Ýou have just stayed too long in France. You have started to think all stode
unfriendly faces, huge delays, frequent strikes, 2 hour lunch breaks, low
qualiyt customer service and slfish attitude are normal. You should move to
Germany (for example) for few months and you would notice a fairly big
difference :-)

But if you like selfish people, you are never in hurry and you like to make
scraths to other people cars, France is a good place to live for you.

I couldn't have put it better myself. Why live in a has been country
where their stupidity is only surpassed by their perfidity and
arrogance?