Must see in L.A area?

Old August 26th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Xavier" wrote:

Hi all!

I've been searching the Internet for must-see things in L.A area but all the
websites I've visited give no specific information (is Hollywood the only
thing to visit in L.A???? I'm sure it's not!)

We'll be in L.A for 1 or 2 days and we'll drive to San Francisco along the
coast.
Since we're not in a hurry, we'll take about 2 days from L.A to San
Francisco, so we have time enough to see the magnificent Californian coast.

Could you give some advice about things we shoud do and see (or not do and
not see) in L.A. area ?

About the coast, we'll need somewhere to sleep....(believe it or not!! :-))
I already know that we'll find tons of motels but could you recommend any
one in particular because of its location, service, nearby sightseeing....

What are your interests? There is a lot to see in the Los Angeles area,
but what to see depends on your interests. Check any tour guide book on
Los Angeles for ideas or do a google search.
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"Xavier" wrote:

Thank you to all of you who are helping us!!

Many of you ask which are our interests. We plan to go to Hollywood to see
the main attractions, but, for instance, I don't think we go to see the
star's houses... I think that it's not interesting...unless un plan to buy
one of them and want to get some ideas... :-).
I prefer to see the main beaches and surrounding nice cities. If there's any
spectacular museum, I don't want to loose it, neither.

Visit Santa Monica and Venice Beach. They are both nice communities to
say in while you're in the Los Angeles area and you could easily spend a
couple of days just walking along the beach, swimming, and visiting the
shops and restaurants there.

You might also enjoy one of the movie studio tours, or maybe visiting
the Griffith Park observatory, or perhaps the Getty museum.

Old August 26th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:54:40 +0200, "Xavier"
wrote:

Thank you to all of you who are helping us!!

Many of you ask which are our interests. We plan to go to Hollywood to see
the main attractions, but, for instance, I don't think we go to see the
star's houses... I think that it's not interesting...unless un plan to buy
one of them and want to get some ideas... :-).

You're going to be a bit disappointed since there ain't no
Hollywood. There is a district of Los Angeles known by that name,
and there is the tourist stretch of Hollywood Blvd, which is a
bit of an eye-opener to visitors from Podunk Hollow, Iowa, but
there's really nothing that makes it look like the mythical
Hollywood. The major studios mostly were elsewhere (past tense
being appropriate here) and the stars live in Beverly Hills and
other posh suburbs.

I prefer to see the main beaches and surrounding nice cities. If there's any
spectacular museum, I don't want to loose it, neither.

LA County has one long beach for all practical purposes. Sections
of it have names, like Manhattan Beach but I'm not sure there are
what you might be thinking of as "surrounding nice cities".

I'm a little lost because at the L.A tourism webpage, they don't give many
ideas of things to do... so (maybe) there aren't really many things to do!!
In that case, we'll head to the coast slowly and visiting everything you can
kindly recomend.

I'm not sure what web page that would be, but remember most
people think of Los Angeles as the whole area from El Toro to
Malibu and Newhall; the city of LA is considerably smaller and a
list of tourist sights within the city proper is necessarily
going to be a lot shorter than a list of all the metro area's
places of intereset.

Old August 26th, 2004, 04:47 PM
PeterL

"Xavier" wrote in message
Thank you to all of you who are helping us!!

Many of you ask which are our interests. We plan to go to Hollywood to see
the main attractions, but, for instance, I don't think we go to see the
star's houses... I think that it's not interesting...unless un plan to buy
one of them and want to get some ideas... :-).
I prefer to see the main beaches and surrounding nice cities. If there's

any
spectacular museum, I don't want to loose it, neither.

LA County Museum. Getty Museum. If you have a chance to go to Pasadena,
the Huntington Memorial Library and Gardens. You can do a tour of the
California Institute of Technology. Call their public information office,
you may be able to get a free guided tour with a student.

Another good place for a free tour is UCLA. Also call their public affairs
or admissions office to get a free guided tour.

I'm a little lost because at the L.A tourism webpage, they don't give many
ideas of things to do... so (maybe) there aren't really many things to

do!!

Or maybe there are just way too many things to do.

In that case, we'll head to the coast slowly and visiting everything you

can
kindly recomend.

As some of you already know, I would have liked to visit the JPL at

Pasadena
(but you must book for a visit 4 months ahead!! and 4 months ago I didn't
even know if I could have some vacations!! I'm a freelance computer

analyst
and developer and never know when I'll be able to leave the office.)

I'll
have to leave Pasadena for another year :-((((((((((

See the above for Cal Tech.

Some of you already gave me, some days ago, some tips about astronomy

sites
to visit. I'll go there instead of the JPL. Anyway, I don't want to focus
the visit on space-related sites, since I travel with other 3 persons that
are not much interested in that subject and I don't want them to be bored.

Old August 27th, 2004, 12:58 AM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Xavier wrote:

I'm a little lost because at the L.A tourism webpage, they don't give many
ideas of things to do... so (maybe) there aren't really many things to do!!

Hello, Xavier.

Are you referring to the Los Angeles Convention and Visitors Bureau
website (http://www.visitlosangeles.info/jsp/visitla.jsp)? Because it
has a whole "What to Do" section that looks quite useful to me.

I just tried selecting a few options from the clickable boxes in
the Activities section and wound up with seven pages of suggestions.
Including, by the way, the wonderful Museum of Television and Radio
in Beverly Hills.

Patty

Old August 27th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Icono Clast

Todd Kunioka wrote:

The Grove

Please tell more about The Grove. What is it? Worth the time when
next I'm down there?

Irv said:
I lived in LA for many years, and the best thing I ever saw (dimly,
thru the smog) was the city limits sign on the way out.

When DisneyLand opened, I hitch-hiked down there to visit it. On the
way, having breakfast in Norwalk, the smog was so bad that it was
painful to keep my tearing eyes open to see what I was eating.

A couple of years ago, I was on the Santa Monica freeway and, for the
first time in my life from there, saw mountains in the distance.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net