Stopover SFO/LAX - one night

Old September 4th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Graham Harrison

Default Stopover SFO/LAX - one night

I may have to travel from London to Auckland on about 24th September. I'll
probably be using a RTW ticket so I can break my journey if I choose to.
I've been to the Bay Area on many occasions, almost always staying in Foster
City (relations). I like the whole of the Bay Area. I am less of a fan
of Los Angeles.

However, there are only 3 flights a week from SFO to AKL, service from LAX
is much more frequent so I may not have a choice given that some flights are
already full in the class I will be booking. If I do stopover I'll come
from London on one of the earlier flights which should put me on the west
coast early afternoon. The flights to AKL go in the evening from both
cities so I'll have about 30 hours on the ground.

I looked at hotels in downtown San Francisco and a number of them are
already full. The remainder are often over $200. Now, I know that's not
unheard of but I kind of get the impression something might be happening
downtown about then. "Airport" hotels seem to have space at just under
$100 and one Comfort Suite I looked at in Millbrae was close to the BART so
I can go downtown if I want but it would have been nice to stay downtown for
once. Alternatively I could remain on the peninsular which would allow me
to have dinner at my favourite restaurant but then I'd probably need a car.

If I went to LAX instead I might try and get to Traveltown in Griffith Park
and then I would need a car and I'd probably like to stay in that part of
the city simply because of when the museum is open.

I looked at other cities as possible stops but only SFO and LAX have non
stop service from both London and Auckland. Anywhere else requires at
least one more change of plane and extended travel time and this is a long
enough flight anyway.

So, if it was you, which city would you stop in and why and where would you
stay?

Old September 5th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Peter L

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I like SF better than LA, although I don't mind LA either. So if the
choice is between the two, SF by a nose.

Old September 5th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Miguel Cruz

Graham Harrison wrote:
I looked at hotels in downtown San Francisco and a number of them are
already full. The remainder are often over $200. Now, I know that's not
unheard of but I kind of get the impression something might be happening
downtown about then.

Have you looked into services like hotwire and hotels.com?

miguel
Old September 5th, 2004, 07:36 AM
anonymous

Miguel Cruz wrote:
Graham Harrison wrote:

I looked at hotels in downtown San Francisco and a number of them are
already full. The remainder are often over $200. Now, I know that's not
unheard of but I kind of get the impression something might be happening
downtown about then.

Have you looked into services like hotwire and hotels.com?

Good weekend rates at the airport hotels. Hotwire had Sheraton at $46
when I looked this weekend. Yeah, no guarantee it was the Sheraton, but
this is what you would get according to the info at Betterbidding.
Not downtown, surely, but a very good rate. Argonaut at the Wharf was
going for $137 for Labor Day weekend, last week when I checked. Not bad.
The hotel direct rate was $188.

Old September 5th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Hatunen

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 20:00:12 +0000 (UTC), "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

[...]

Theer is now BART service from SFO, and from Millbrae and San
Bruno, that can whisk you into downtown SF in a very short time.
I suggest you stay at a hotel near SFO and go into SF for the
evening.

Old September 6th, 2004, 10:29 AM
RH

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
(snip)
I looked at other cities as possible stops but only SFO and LAX have non
stop service from both London and Auckland. Anywhere else requires at
least one more change of plane and extended travel time and this is a long
enough flight anyway.

Why not go East: LHR-SIN and SIN-AKL. You could do that on SQ, which at
least in C class is superb

So, if it was you, which city would you stop in and why and where would

you
stay?

You can get a hotel in SIN for less than 50 £, or you could go to the
Raffles and pay a bit more (probably less than USD 200)

Old September 6th, 2004, 04:54 PM
tortoise

San Francisco is one of the most expensive places in the
country to live. So the rates for hotels that you mentioned are the norm.
I live near SF but have relatives in LA. I like SF much better.

BART does go all the way to Millbrae so I agree that staying there is a
good idea and then take BART to SF. The hotels all have shuttle service to the
airport which is 10 minute away.

And as you probably already know, September is our nicest time of
the year although yesterday it was 95 degrees on the Peninsula.

Tracy
Old September 6th, 2004, 07:52 PM
slamdunka

i got the Hotel Florence(downtown SF) for 99 a night off travelzoo.com(not
a bidding site) in april and couldnt have been happier.