Couples Ocho Rios

Old June 15th, 2006, 07:32 AM posted to rec.drugs.cannabis,rec.travel.caribbean

Default Couples Ocho Rios

Hi,

any tips for Couples Ocho Rios?

--

- Call me ruthless, amoral, but never call me dishonest. -
Old June 18th, 2006, 03:03 PM posted to rec.drugs.cannabis,rec.travel.caribbean

Anonymouse wrote in news:F97kg.59687$mh.7496
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Hi,

any tips for Couples Ocho Rios?

Yes.

Spend a couple of days off the property, sampling the local food and
drink. Have some of the fruits that you won't get inside the
"compound" and make sure you have patties and coco bread from one of the
local shops. Avoid the pier area, since that's where most of the real
hustling goes on, very high pressure and obnoxious. Don't promise to
come back and buy something if you don't mean it. The locals have long
memories. Say no decisively but politely. Listen to the locals, and
you'll get a lot of good advice and local lore. Dunn's River falls is a
must, even if it IS a real touristy spot. You'll have fun there.

Most of all, spend time off the property, and use your basic street
smarts. Ochi is a safe town, you won't be robbed at gunpoint or
anything if you're even remotely sensible. Crime is pretty low in that
area.

DAve
Old June 18th, 2006, 09:31 PM posted to rec.drugs.cannabis,rec.travel.caribbean

Anonymouse wrote:
Hi,

any tips for Couples Ocho Rios?

You might consider asking someone you meet that works at the hotel to take
you out walking or riding touring around. It is always a good idea to be in
the company of a Jamaican to keep away the hustlers. A friend can be welcome
company and sometimes get you bargains if he makes the purchases himself. I
have a regular taxi driver I use every time I go to Negril. I call him on
his cell before I leave the states and he meets me at Sangster with a ride
to the hotel. He has stuff ready for me when he picks me up. We hang out
while I am there and meets me each day I decide to go anywhere. I bring a
TracFone with me that works on the island saving much on calls. Sometimes I
leave the phone behind as a gift as it is disposable anyway. He always has
several phones and used to supply me with one before I started bringing my
own. I bring him gifts from home each time and he has some for me when I
depart. We have been friends for several years. When I visited MoBay before
I decided to always go to Negril I had a different driver(Friend). My wife
and I were always invited to spend time at his home and enjoy home cooking
and were offered to stay with them instead of the Holiday Inn where we met
him. This goes back some as the Inn is now a resort.

Many stories of our visits from 1980 to present times but I won't turn this
post into an epic but in short make friend while you are there. Jamaicans
are wonderful people.

J.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.drugs.cannabis,rec.travel.caribbean

"Anonymouse" wrote in message

Hi,

any tips for Couples Ocho Rios?

--

- Call me ruthless, amoral, but never call me dishonest. -

Have you found what you were looking for?

Old June 24th, 2006, 07:47 PM posted to rec.drugs.cannabis,rec.travel.caribbean

Hi,

actually I've gotten very little info on Couples Ocho Rios.... though I
did book a room/etc for a week based on the Couples reputation and my
pleasant experience at Couples Negril.

at CN there was "red flag service" on the beach... does COR have that?

looking forward to the horseback riding... noticed it's offered morning
and afternoon... is it a different route?

at CN you'd have guys in paddle boats just off the beach selling
anything "extra" you'd like... herbs etc ;-}

and parasailing... not included but you could just ask at the
watersports area and they'd phone one of their favorite local operators
and they'd be swinging in off the beach.

Old June 24th, 2006, 09:18 PM posted to rec.drugs.cannabis,rec.travel.caribbean

"Anonymouse" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

actually I've gotten very little info on Couples Ocho Rios.... though I
did book a room/etc for a week based on the Couples reputation and my
pleasant experience at Couples Negril.

at CN there was "red flag service" on the beach... does COR have that?

looking forward to the horseback riding... noticed it's offered morning
and afternoon... is it a different route?

at CN you'd have guys in paddle boats just off the beach selling anything
"extra" you'd like... herbs etc ;-}

and parasailing... not included but you could just ask at the watersports
area and they'd phone one of their favorite local operators and they'd be
swinging in off the beach.

I can not comment on that resort specifically but I am sure you will
thoroughly enjoy your stay. I have stayed in Orchi many times some years
ago. The last time I parisailed there things were way different. You could
go up by yourself but now I am pretty sure you will be riding with another
at your side. I did enjoy being alone with a Red Stripe in one hand and at
least a camera in the other if not something more eye-opening. My option. I
liked traveling there off season as you get better attention and service. I
went the other way and started out at MoBay. Traveled from there to Orchi
and to Port A then flew Tim Air to the beach(what they call Negril) and now
I stay there every time I return. From there I might fly around for a day or
so but always return to Negril. More lay back as you will see in comparison.
Not to say you will not also have the time of your life where ever you end
up in Jamaica. If you are into it there are small shops where you can try
some enjoyable varieties of herbal or fungus tea. Make sure you have a
reliable ride back to your room or plan on sleeping elsewhere. I am not sure
about the scheduling of horse back riding as the resorts are different than
where I like to stay. I have made plans to have the horses delivered while I
rode more or less where I wanted with the guide. In the resorts you will be
with several others and follow a trial not much different that I have seen
at local riding places here at home. Once again I looked forward to bringing
refreshments of numerous varieties or those supplied by the guide. I also
liked riding in the hills where you might find it more private and unique
stopping along the way to enjoy the foliage and greenery.Once again having
your guide pointing out the more enjoyable species. Do not forget to bring
bug repellent with you from home as it might be harder to find or more
costly. Take plenty of photos or videos so you can show others or post on
the web.

Have fun.

Old June 24th, 2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.drugs.cannabis,rec.travel.caribbean

Jimmy B wrote:

"Anonymouse" wrote in message

Hi,

any tips for Couples Ocho Rios?

--

- Call me ruthless, amoral, but never call me dishonest. -

Have you found what you were looking for?

--

- Call me ruthless, amoral, but never call me dishonest. -

http://www.ochoriosonestop.com/main.htm

You may need to click on Ocho Rios first if it appears in the list at
the top.

Click on RESORTS then click on the Map over Couples

--
Keith (Southend)
http://www.southendweather.net
Old June 26th, 2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.drugs.cannabis,rec.travel.caribbean

"Anonymouse" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

actually I've gotten very little info on Couples Ocho Rios.... though I
did book a room/etc for a week based on the Couples reputation and my
pleasant experience at Couples Negril.

at CN there was "red flag service" on the beach... does COR have that?

looking forward to the horseback riding... noticed it's offered morning
and afternoon... is it a different route?

at CN you'd have guys in paddle boats just off the beach selling
anything "extra" you'd like... herbs etc ;-}

and parasailing... not included but you could just ask at the
watersports area and they'd phone one of their favorite local operators
and they'd be swinging in off the beach.

Couples has a very comprehensive website at www.couples.com. There is a FAQ
on each of the resorts, with answers to these, and all kinds of other,
questions. There are also message boards.

Sheila