Cruise liner hit by norovirus - again

Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RsH

Default Cruise liner hit by norovirus - again

Cruise liner hit by norovirus - again
Published Date:
By Rachel Hine
Health reporter

A cruise ship has been hit by a vomiting bug for the fourth trip in a
row.

Passengers onboard the Fred Olsen liner Boudicca have again been
struck down with norovirus - which causes sickness and diarrhoea -
despite the ship being deep cleaned several times now.

Charlie and Sheila Fitzgerald paid £1,888 to go on the latest cruise
to the Canary Islands to celebrate their golden wedding anniversary
but said the holiday was spoilt when Mrs Fitzgerald became ill.

'I started getting ill half way through the trip and then had to stay
in the cabin for three days,' said Mrs Fitzgerald, 72, of Tern Walk,
Gosport. 'I didn't get to see Tenerife at all.

'I don't think they should have gone out again after all the trouble
they'd have before.'

Mr Fitzgerald, 71, added: 'It did spoil the trip. It was very
disappointing.'

A total of 150 people fell ill with suspected norovirus during the
cruise, which returned on Monday.

It comes after hundreds of passengers on the previous three voyages
were also struck down by the bug.

On a cruise to the Canary Islands between December 6 and 18 there were
180 cases.

A mini-cruise between December 18 and 22 saw a further 50 cases.

On a Canary Islands cruise between December 22 and January 4 a total
of 289 passengers fell ill.

Fred Olsen said the ship underwent a further deep clean following the
latest outbreak.

Matt Grimes, director of operations for the company, said: 'We're very
aware of the effect that the spread of this type of infection can
have, not only on the individuals concerned, but also on those fellow
passengers around them.

'Our staff work tirelessly to maintain the highest standards of
hygiene and cleanliness on board all our shops, but we are still
reliant on the co-operation of everyone to report to the medical
centre as soon as they feel the onset of symptoms, and then remain in
their cabins for 48 hours to help prevent further spread of the
virus.'

Passengers who fell ill during the latest cruise were offered credit
towards a future cruise.

They were also refunded a day of their trip and given £50 to spend on
board after their cruise was delayed because the ship needed a deep
clean.

The ship departed again on Monday evening for a 28-night Caribbean
cruise.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

RsH wrote On 1/22/2010 8:28 PM:
[...]

When are pax ever going to learn to wash their hands? Likewise for the
ships compliment.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

View My Web Pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951
My Shutterfly Page http://photosbybrianmk.shutterfly.com/
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake RsH :

Cruise liner hit by norovirus - again
Published Date:
By Rachel Hine
Health reporter

A cruise ship has been hit by a vomiting bug for the fourth trip in a
row.

Mean while, the Texas Department of Corrections was hit by noro virus
with roughly 600 prisoners being diagnosed and another 800 suspected.
The hospital wards were closed down to prevent transmission, because
it's easier to lock a cell down. And you don't have to give them a
credit for a future cruise.

--

- dillon I am not invalid

I love my country, It's my government I fear.

Hey, turnabout's fair play.