Hiati

Old January 24th, 2010, 11:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

Default Hiati

In article ,
(Jeff Gersten) wrote:

(MAS) wrote:

Everyone gets the same level of healthcare,
including government officials, with no
preferential treatment? Long waiting periods
are one of the problems, according to a few
people we talked to. We're close to the
Canadian border, and quite a few come here
for treatment they either couldn't get at home
or couldn't get within a reasonable amount of
time.

Marsha

Are you implying that there is no waiting time in the USA?

I had cataract surgery last year. My optometrist gave me a referral, and
I called the office of the cataract surgeon. There was a 3 month wait to
get an appointment to be seen and evaluated. And the last time I was
there, I overheard the receptionist on the phone, and the waiting time
is even lomger now. And this was not in some foreign land, unless you
count NY state as a foreign country.

Life threatening that.
The best comparison I have seen recently was Robert Blendon's in Health
Affairs where he describes an international survey of hospital
administrators in Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain, the U.S. and
Canada. When asked for the average waiting time for biopsy of a possible
breast cancer in a 50-year-old woman, 21 percent of administrators of
Canadian hospitals said more than three weeks; only 1 percent of
American hospital administrators gave the same answer.
Fifty percent of the Canadian hospital administrators said the average
waiting time for a 65-year-old man who requires a routine hip
replacement was more than six months; in contrast, not one American
hospital administrator reported waiting periods that long. Eighty-six
percent of American hospital administrators said the average waiting
time was shorter than three weeks; only 3 percent of Canadian hospital
administrators said their patients have this brief a wait.

--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.

Old January 24th, 2010, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca

Jeff Gersten wrote:
Are you implying that there is no waiting time in the USA?

I had cataract surgery last year. My optometrist gave me a referral, and
I called the office of the cataract surgeon. There was a 3 month wait to
get an appointment to be seen and evaluated. And the last time I was
there, I overheard the receptionist on the phone, and the waiting time
is even lomger now. And this was not in some foreign land, unless you
count NY state as a foreign country.

Jeff, I had to wait 4 months to have my teeth cleaned, I couldn't
believe it, I thought she was joking. Needless to say, I have to
change dentists. I had my teeth cleaned in a border town in Mexico, the
dentist went to school in Michigan.

Becca
Old January 25th, 2010, 01:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 14:39:56 -0600, Becca wrote:

Jeff, I had to wait 4 months to have my teeth cleaned, I couldn't
believe it, I thought she was joking. Needless to say, I have to
change dentists. I had my teeth cleaned in a border town in Mexico, the
dentist went to school in Michigan.

Becca

HMO dentist for the 4 month wait? You get what you pay for.
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca

Brian wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 14:39:56 -0600, Becca wrote:

Jeff, I had to wait 4 months to have my teeth cleaned, I couldn't
believe it, I thought she was joking. Needless to say, I have to
change dentists. I had my teeth cleaned in a border town in Mexico, the
dentist went to school in Michigan.

Becca

HMO dentist for the 4 month wait? You get what you pay for.

No, I do not have an HMO, I pay cash.

Becca
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

I d not have a HMO dentist,and he does not take any insurance plans,went
to his father for 50 years,and now continue on with his son,and never
have to wait for an appointment,go every 6 months for check up and
cleaning. Guess i am just one of the lucky ones that have a mouthful of
good teeth, I pay cash,and he does not steal me blind for a visit. He
is $90.00 less for a visit than our towns other dentist that does take
ins.plans.

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old January 28th, 2010, 04:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:10:37 -0600, Becca wrote:

No, I do not have an HMO, I pay cash.

Becca

So because you couldn't get your teeth cleaned at one dental office,
you decided to go to Mexico? Weren't there other U.S. dentists
available. Something seems left out here.