Cape Cod

Old April 1st, 2004, 04:42 PM
GBaileyTx

Default Cape Cod

On a swing through the Northeast, I'd like to see Cape Cod? Good idea, or skip
it?
Where's a good place to stay, to enjoy beaches, scenery, etc, without spending
a mint. Thanks in advance.

Old April 1st, 2004, 06:13 PM
JamesStep

We loved Plimoth Plantation...

I'd highly recommend it also.
http://www.plimoth.org/

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-

Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:59 PM
Larry Finch

GBaileyTx wrote:

On a swing through the Northeast, I'd like to see Cape Cod? Good idea, or skip
it?
Where's a good place to stay, to enjoy beaches, scenery, etc, without spending
a mint. Thanks in advance.

There are certainly things worth seeing on Cape Cod, but it's quite out of the
way, has bad traffic problems during the summer, and is much bigger than you
realize. If you go all the way to Provincetown you need to allow a half day (or
more) for the drive from the mainland. If you have the time it is worth it,
however.

Another alternative is to take the fast ferry from Boston to Provincetown. This is
under 2 hours, and would allow you to make it a day trip.

Larry

--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 47"
W 74° 03' 56"

Old April 3rd, 2004, 02:50 AM
Larry Finch

K wrote:

Is that a car ferry, Larry?

Another alternative is to take the fast ferry from Boston to Provincetown.

This is
under 2 hours, and would allow you to make it a day trip.

Sorry, no. There are only passenger ferries.

http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/provincetown/

Larry

--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 47"
W 74° 03' 56"

Old April 4th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Blakey

On a swing through the Northeast, I'd like to see Cape Cod? Good idea, or
skip
it?
Where's a good place to stay, to enjoy beaches, scenery, etc, without

spending
a mint. Thanks in advance.

I would say that it was a good idea! But as other posters have pointed out
it is a longer drive than you may think to get to Provincetown, but I felt
the drive was well worth it!
We stayed at the Shamrock Motel, cheap & cheerful and perfectly adequate and
we ate at Napi's, a very nice restaurant indeed. A drive to Race Point
should be rewarding, we recently had the whole beach to ourselves!!
And the Pilgrim Monument & Provincetown museum will be open (we were there
24 hourse too early!) now, if you have a head for heights that is.

Regards

Blakey

Old April 5th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Susan Wachob

Hi-

Cape Cod is lovely. So much more than Provincetown. Stay near Wellfleet
or Truro- just past the elbow of the Cape- or even Eastham since it's a
bit cheaper.

The beaches on the Bay side are quieter and warmer- lovely lucious sand
to lie in, build sand castles, read. (I bet as a kid I built 1000
edifices of various kinds in the sand.) The beaches on the ocean side
have wonderful tides. When the tide is in, the waves are terrific to
jump in- especially if you have kids with you. When tide is out, the
rippling sand bottom is exposed for sometimes as much as 1/4 mile so you
can walk out and dig up clams and take them home and eat them fresh. YUM!!!

Play miniature golf and eat salt water taffy. Poke around antique shops
(or shoppes as some of them are called). See summer theatre. Drive
around and see some of the great architecture- some Cape Cod salt box
houses and some big beautiful old things. Rent a bike and wander. Eat
lobster. If you do go to Provincetown take a whale watching boat.

The inner Cape also has lots of little towns- and some not so little
like Hyannis (home of the Kennedy's and their compound) and Chatham.
A zillion little shops if youlike that sort of thing. Much busier (and
touristier).

Needless to say- I'm a fan of the Cape and can't recommend it highly
enough!!! And if you'll be doing a lot of traveling otherwise, it's a
calm and relaxing change.

Susan