Newfoundland or Iles de la Madeleine ?

Old March 17th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Senax

Default Newfoundland or Iles de la Madeleine ?

Hello !

We are two young adults, without kids, from Montreal facing a choice for
our two week summer vacations (last week of July and first of August).
We were thinking about Newfoundland and Iles de la Madeleine
(Magdelene's Islands). We would like to travel by car, do some camping
and discover small hostels. We like outdoor activities and nature, and
enjoy historical sites. We would prefer a well loaded agenda, without
going to extremes.

We are mainly looking for advices from people who have already visited
both travel destinations.

Newfoundland or Iles de la Madeleine ?

Thanks.

\Senax

Old March 17th, 2004, 03:23 AM
TGP

Yes, lots to see on the Burin peninsula as well. Email me at
if you want any specifics

"John D. Misrahi" wrote in message
Hmmm..I visited both , Newfoundland (the island only, not Labrador) in

2001,
and The Magdalen islands in 2002...

They are both fantastic places to visit..Having a car will be a plus..Both
times i was bussing and hitch hiking with a buddy of mine, so we didn't

have
the most flexibility all the time of where to go.

Can you be more specific about what you want to see/do?

There is an awesome HI hostel in the Magdalen islands..in Cap Aux Meules

(or
just outside the town i guess)...We arrived late at night off the ferry

from
Souris, PEI, and there was a guy with a van waiting for us at the ferry

dock
(its a couple of KM cab ride/drive/walk otherwise). Great food available.
Beautiful scenery, rocky cliffs, beaches, scrubby vegetation, pastures..I
loved it, though its pretty windy and rainy (i think its always windy). I
think you don't need more than a few days to see the best of what there is
to see..

Newfoundland was great..I didnt spend nearly enough time there. I guess

you
could spend months or years seeing all there is to see. We camped out off
the side of the road or in a field , near a stream etc.. 99% of the time
there...Had people invite us in their homes for breakfast etc...Really
nice..Only found one hostel in St. John's (hostel on the hill) and it no
longer exists..thats the only downside. St. Pierre and Miquelon was a fun
couple of days (french islands off the Burin peninsula).

john

Senax wrote in message ...
Hello !

We are two young adults, without kids, from Montreal facing a choice for
our two week summer vacations (last week of July and first of August).
We were thinking about Newfoundland and Iles de la Madeleine
(Magdelene's Islands). We would like to travel by car, do some camping
and discover small hostels. We like outdoor activities and nature, and
enjoy historical sites. We would prefer a well loaded agenda, without
going to extremes.

We are mainly looking for advices from people who have already visited
both travel destinations.

Newfoundland or Iles de la Madeleine ?

Thanks.

\Senax

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old March 17th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Wallace J.McLean

Senax ) writes:
We are two young adults, without kids, from Montreal facing a choice for
our two week summer vacations (last week of July and first of August).
We were thinking about Newfoundland and Iles de la Madeleine

A tossup in terms of stuff to do, but I would avoid les Iles in high
season as too expensive. Off-season is much less expensive, but it also
starts kinda late (well after Labour Day now). Then again, the water's
warmer in July and August in the lagoons! You will also have to book
everything well in advance. For accomodations there are several agencies
that will book you houses or cabins for the entire length of your stay, but
again, planning ahead is important.

If you do go to the Maggies, you really should maroon yourself on Entry
Island for at least one night, and definitely go for the table d'hôte at
La Marée Haute. La Marée Haute is a decent place to stay, too, kind of
like a ski lodge without the ski hills. On Entry Island there's a house to
rent and also Chez McLean, which is a lovely B&B. In the east end, there
are cabins to rent in Grosse-Isle that make a good base to go beachwalking
at Pointe de l'Est. In Havre-aux-Maisons, La Petite Baie is quite nice,
though apparently loud (from the restaurant) in high season.

Entry Island is a fun side trip... no cars... just your feet. The hiking
on the back of the island, away from the village side, is just incredible.

(Magdelene's Islands). We would like to travel by car, do some camping

If you're travelling by car, take the CTMA Vacancier from Matane, or if
they have started running out of Chandler, from Chandler. It won't be as
expensive as starting further up the river. Lovely boat. And you'll get to
do part of Gaspé as well.

and discover small hostels. We like outdoor activities and nature, and
enjoy historical sites. We would prefer a well loaded agenda, without
going to extremes.

Newfoundland or Iles de la Madeleine ?

I'll let the Newfoundland experts speak more for Newfoundland, but it's a
lot easier to fill two weeks with Newfoundland than with the Maggies, just
because there's more to choose from. If you're intent on driving it will
mean a longer drive out of Montreal.

Since Gros Morne is now one of the chief things to do in Nfld., you might
want to consider going the route less taken: drive to Natashquan, ship
yourself and your vehicle to Blanc Sablon, visit the Lower North Shore and
southern Labrador, then take the ferry over to Newfoundland for the
obligatory L'anse aux Meadows tour, then on to several days in Gros Morne,
Bonne Bay and area. From there you could go down the west coast, to the
Port au Port Peninsula, Codroy Valley, etc., and take the ferry to Cape
Breton on your way home, covering the Maritimes and Gaspé on your way back
to Montréal. How many people can boast of having "driven" all the way
around the Gulf of St. Lawrence?

Bonne chance et bonne vacance !

Old March 17th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Wallace J.McLean

"John D. Misrahi" ) writes:
Beautiful scenery, rocky cliffs, beaches, scrubby vegetation, pastures..I
loved it, though its pretty windy and rainy (i think its always windy).

It was probably a week back on dry land before my ears stopped ringing.
Apparently there is a high rate of hearing loss and deafness among the
Madelinot, on account of the incessant wind.

I didn't need earplugs on the ferry. I needed them after I got off the
ferry though.

Old March 17th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Senax

Thank you all for your replies.

That's what we thought.

At the moment our planned route is about as follows : Montreal - North
Sydney - Port aux Basques by ferry - Anse aux Meadows - Gros Morne
National Park - Fortune (to take the ferry to St-Pierre et Miquelon) -
St-John's - Argentia - North Sydney by ferry - Montreal (via Maine).

Driving distance: 5400 km... ouch! Oh well, we'll probably rent a
convertible car for the trip (eh, the Guy is about to drive 99% of the
distance, so he will work hard to convince the Girl)

\Senax

Old March 19th, 2004, 03:17 AM
Sandra Easton

NEWFOUNDLAND Rocks!!

West coast is friendlier and prettier. East coast is
more shopping and touristy. And All the outlets
on the coast are amazingly friendly and authentic!

Sandra

Old April 4th, 2004, 04:01 AM
SB

I think you have that reversed!!

East coast is friendlier than the west....and on a nice day I think I'd be
hard pressed to say one was prettier than the other....

ALTHOUGH....Vancouver Island has me whipped!! Made it out to Tofino a
couple of times and caught great weather both times.